Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SecureVNCPlugin setup help

Should you have problems with the DSM plugin, here's the place to look for help or report issues
rsutton

SecureVNCPlugin setup help

Post by rsutton »

I recently installed 1.0.9.5 on my systems. I enabled the SecureVNC Plugin. In this default condition it works just fine. However, I want to try the Passphrase option to increase the length of the 'password' (i,e, more than 8 chars). Here's where I start to have problems.

Do I need to set the Passphrase on the server only? Or do I have to set it on both? I assume the first (server only). Do I need to reboot before this takes effect?

Next, I notice that on the dsm config screen that there are 2 key generation options. The Generate Client Authentication Key actually generates 2 keys: pubkey & pkey. Which do I use where? Do I do this on both server & client?

I have read Adam Walling's web site on this it it doesn't exactly tell me how to do this. I really need a step-by-step for this. Can someone help?

Thanks...
Dick
sandman42

Re: SecureVNCPlugin setup help

Post by sandman42 »

I'm having the same problem:

on Win 2008 Server 32 bit, without enabling plugin, uvnc 1.0.9.5 works fine.

If I enable the plugin, generate the client key and copy to the client, it connects but the password doesn't work, neither the uvnc, nor the passphrase.

Any hint?
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

Sandman,
I can get the plugin to work in the default mode; that is, enable the plugin and set a uvnc password. At least the info popup says encryption is working.

However, I've tried numerous things with the Generate Keys buttons and nothing seems to work. I've read Adam's site several times and have tried to gleen what he is trying to say but I have been unsuccessful.

Either I am the stupidest person in the world or we need some documentation. This plugin appears to be a remarkable piece of programming but the lack of documentation is unfortunate.

Also, what is the Website button all about? Does no one on the forums know the answers?

Dick

Dick
YY

Post by YY »

Basically the SecureVNC Plugin will generate the key for each session, you don't need to generate a key, or unless you want to configure the server always using the same key.

It should be very easy to configure the server using the Pass Phrase:

1. Have the 1.0.9.5 server installed, and putting the SecureVNCPlugin.dsm (ver 2.3.0.0) at the same folder as the winvnc.exe
2. At the Admin Properties, enable the use of SecureVNCPlugin, and enter your Pass Phrase.

3. At the viewer end, again enable the use of SecureVNCPlugin, but it is not necessary to make any configuration.
4. Connect to the server. When you are prompted for the password, enter the Pass Phrase, and you will then got connected. (the native VNC password will not be used anymore)
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

YY,
Thank you for your clear explanation. Where were you able to find this information? Or did you just figure it out for yourself? I have looked everywhere.

Could you also explain how to use the advanced options of using the Client & Server Generation buttons?

Also, what does the Website button do?

I know I am asking alot, but I'm really interested in understanding this excellent addon to UVNC.

Thanks for your time.

Dick
sandman42

Post by sandman42 »

YY wrote:4. Connect to the server. When you are prompted for the password, enter the Pass Phrase, and you will then got connected. (the native VNC password will not be used anymore)
Hi,

I've tried this, but if I use a 8 char passphase it works.

If I use a longer one, the client allows me to enter an 8char only password, so it doesn't work.

Is there something I've not understood? Hints?

Thanks and ciao
YY

Post by YY »

sandman42 wrote:If I use a longer one, the client allows me to enter an 8char only password, so it doesn't work.
Looks like the Pass Phrase is not properly configured.

Please try to enter the Pass Phrase at server again.

You must; at server's Admin Properties;
- check the "use" DSMplugin box,
- Select the "SecureVNCPlugin.dsm" (please use version 2.3.0.0)
- click the "Config." button to goto the Config Window, and then enter the Pass Phrase here.

Don't enter the Pass Phrase at the Admin Properties' VNC password column, which is for the classic VNC password only
YY

Post by YY »

rsutton wrote:Where were you able to find this information?
The information comes from the official site of SecureVNC, and also from the posts of this forum.

rsutton wrote:Could you also explain how to use the advanced options of using the Client & Server Generation buttons?
For the "Generate Client Authentication Key", the SecureVNC official site has this explanation:
SecureVNC official site wrote:In the configuration dialog on the server, you have the option to generate client authentication keys. The server should have the public key (named *_ClientAuth.pubkey), and the viewer should have the private key (named *_ClientAuth.pkey). By cryptographically signing the communication, this prevents an active man-in-the-middle attack, since the handshake cannot be tampered with without invalidating the signature. This is ideal for remote support / single click situations, since the server can be publicly distributed with the public key for authentication. The viewer's private key must remain protected.
rsutton wrote:what does the Website button do?
It just opens the browser, and goto the SecureVNC official site.
Not working on you pc ?
redge

Post by redge »

config SecureVNC ... Website
tested, I can confirm, this open nothing.

vista with IE9 as default browser and windows 7 with Opera as default
i see just see mice pointer change short time and then nothing.

the rule of opening website is not the same as should be like winvnc systray... Visit our site , where opening default browser success opening forum or uvnc.com on both OS.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

@YY:
I, too, have read Adam's site and have read that passage many times. It really doesn't say how to use the 'Client Generation' button. I tried it anyway and it generated two keys: a *.pkey and a *.pubkey. What are we supposed to do with those keys? I tried copying the *.pkey to the viewers machine in the vnc directory, but that didn't seem to work.

Also, why have the 'Client Generation' button on the viewer's option menu? If we are supposed to generate keys on both systems, that doesn't seem to work either. I am very confused!

Having said all that, if I get rid of all the *.pubkeys and *.pkeys and let the plugin create default session keys, then everything seems to work with or without the Passphrase.

@redge:
I, too, see nothing happening when I press the 'Website' button.

Dick
YY

Post by YY »

redge wrote:config SecureVNC ... Website
tested, I can confirm, this open nothing.
rsutton wrote:I, too, see nothing happening when I press the 'Website' button.
Really strange result !!!

When I click the "Website" button, it always open the browser, and goto the SecureVNC website. My system is Win XP-Prof and default browser is FireFox. I had tried to switch back the default browser to IE6, still working w/o any problem.

I also tried the test on a Vista pc with IE, still running properly.

Is it any chance that your issue be caused by the firewall, or anti-spy program ?
sandman42

Post by sandman42 »

YY wrote:
sandman42 wrote:If I use a longer one, the client allows me to enter an 8char only password, so it doesn't work.
Looks like the Pass Phrase is not properly configured.

Please try to enter the Pass Phrase at server again.

You must; at server's Admin Properties;
- check the "use" DSMplugin box,
- Select the "SecureVNCPlugin.dsm" (please use version 2.3.0.0)
- click the "Config." button to goto the Config Window, and then enter the Pass Phrase here.

Don't enter the Pass Phrase at the Admin Properties' VNC password column, which is for the classic VNC password only
Works better, but:

1) If I don't set any "normal password", I can go on because UltraVNC Says "WARNING: Running WinVNC without setting a passowrd is a dangerous secuity risk! Until you set a password, WinVNC will not accept incoming connection"

2) If I set a password, my passphrase works, but the system is view only.

Ciao[/img]
YY

Post by YY »

sandman42 wrote:1) If I don't set any "normal password", I can go on because UltraVNC Says "WARNING: Running WinVNC without setting a passowrd is a dangerous secuity risk! Until you set a password, WinVNC will not accept incoming connection"
That is true, and sorry my previous statement "Don't enter the Pass Phrase at the Admin Properties' VNC password column" is not so clear. What I mean is you must enter your Pass Phrase (128 characters max.) at the SecureVNC Plugin config. window.

However, you must have a normal VNC password (8 characters max.) entered, or otherwise the UVNC will return you the said warning.

sandman42 wrote:2) If I set a password, my passphrase works, but the system is view only.
Is it the result of disabling the viewer input by mistake?

Please check these settings:
1. The server Admin. Properties -- the check box of "Disable Viewers Input"

2. The viewer Options -- the check box of "View only"
YY

Post by YY »

rsutton wrote:It really doesn't say how to use the 'Client Generation' button. I tried it anyway and it generated two keys: a *.pkey and a *.pubkey. What are we supposed to do with those keys? I tried copying the *.pkey to the viewers machine in the vnc directory, but that didn't seem to work.
You did it correctly. The generated keys: *.pkey is supposed put on the viewer machine, and the *.pubkey should be put on the server machine.

However, if the server/viewer is already running, after copying these files into the vnc directory, you must restart them in order to take effect.

rsutton wrote:why have the 'Client Generation' button on the viewer's option menu?
Sorry but I'm not understanding your question .... why have 'Client Generation' button on the viewer's option menu .....
I think you were not referring the "Option..." window of the vncviewer .....then you means ..... ????
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

YY,
You are correct. After I copied the *.pkey to my viewer machine, I DID NOT restart the server. When I restarted the server, all worked well.

As to the second issue, what I meant was: why have the "Generate Client Authentication" button available on both the server and the viewer? Convenience?

Dick
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

@redge,
After further testing I have found that on the viewer I can press the SecureVNCPlubin's Website button and it does open up Adam's web site.

However, I get nothing when I press the Website button on the server running as an installed service on XP.

Dick
redge

Post by redge »

rsutton

yes, your are right,
minor bug website button of securevnc 2.3.0.0
fail at server side
success only at viewer side.
YY

Post by YY »

rsutton wrote:@redge,
After further testing I have found that on the viewer I can press the SecureVNCPlubin's Website button and it does open up Adam's web site.

However, I get nothing when I press the Website button on the server running as an installed service on XP.

Dick
I don't have problem when clicking the Website button on the server. I'm using Win XP Pro Sp2 & FireFox as default browser.

I had tried to switch back to IE6 as default, still working properly. :o

Looks like there is an unknow factor that may trigger this problem.
Last edited by YY on 2010-12-06 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
redge

Post by redge »

YY
tested on vista and win7
sucess only with vncviewer
YY

Post by YY »

Hi! redge & rsutton

I found more symptom of the problem.

Not relating to the OS, I can repeat it on my WinXP system now.

The button has the problem exactly as what you reported -- if the browser is not yet running.

If the default browser is running already, clicking the "Website" button will open a new tag or a new window (depending on setting) and goto the SecureVNC site.

I believe this is caused by improper coding of that button.
sandman42

Post by sandman42 »

YY wrote:
sandman42 wrote:2) If I set a password, my passphrase works, but the system is view only.
Is it the result of disabling the viewer input by mistake?
Please check these settings:
1. The server Admin. Properties -- the check box of "Disable Viewers Input"
YES! I'm a chump! :oops:

Sorry.

Now everything works.

Thanks
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

@YY,
I tried your test with a browser already running on the server and you are right, the Website button works under those circumstances. As you indicate, it appears to be a coding error. Nice catch!

Dick