Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

"Connection failed" - W2kSP4 as Server & Win XPproSP2 Viewer

Should you have problems with the DSM plugin, here's the place to look for help or report issues
Li0n

"Connection failed" - W2kSP4 as Server & Win X

Post by Li0n »

Hi @All,

first of all, please excuse my English if it's not so good - it's not my native language.

I'm using UltraVNC inside a LAN for some different machines, most with Windows XP professional SP2 (also on the client-pc with the standalone viewer), but also an old AMD K6-II with W2kSP4.
All the computers are in the same workgroup but not in a domain. Untill yesterday I used UltraVNC 1.0.1 with the "New MS Logon" and the NoReg-DSM-Plugin at the Viewer-machine and the Reg-DSM-Plugin on all the UltraVNC-servers (UltraVNC server as service), where UltraVNC was full installed.
After reading about the updated version 1.0.2, I downloaded the new version directly over sourceforge and began updating my machines.

On all machines I allways uninstalled the old version first and deleted - after restart - the left UltraVNC-folder in C:/Programs/.

With the first two (WXPprofSP2) machines I had no problem after the update and I can use UltraVNC like I'm used to.

But at the 3rd computer - the old Box with W2kSP4 on it - I have now the problem, that I get the "Connection failed - ÃŽnvalid protocol!"-message, if I try to make an encrypted connection with the (new) DSM-plugins. I also tried with the NoReg-DSM-plugin on the server-side - same problem. I tried with a fresh download, uninstalled, and fresh installed again - problem still persists.
And also it makes no difference, if I use a key created on this W2k-pc or one that is generated on a WinXP-machine.

Without the DSM-Plugins the connection works fine. While I still realised, that I don't see the window (which I could see with 1.0.1) after klick on the config.-button for the DSM-plugin, where I can select different key-locations for server as service, server as application and viewer. Instead there's a window, telling me, key was not found at systemvariable %...% but key was found at C:/Programs/UltraVNC.

Does anyone know a solution, how I can make the encrypted connection to work also on the W2kSP4-pc like it was working nicely before the update?

Thanx in advance for your help. And a big THANX to all developers for this usefull tool! I'm not a "Commandline-Wizzard", but UltraVNC helps me a lot, to maintain my family's PCs and keep them uptodate. I'm physically handicaped and because of that using a wheelchair. And so it's a big help, to be able to access the other machines from my pc that is placed the right way for me to work with it.

Kind Regards
Li0n

PS.: Just if it's important - All the Windows-Versions are German versions.
msisolak

Re: "Connection failed" - W2kSP4 as Server & W

Post by msisolak »

I can confirm seeing the same behavior with an XP SP2 client trying to connect to a Windows 2000 SP4 server. I also uninstalled everything from both sides, reinstalled, etc. Without the DSM, or with the 1.1.8 version, the connection is fine. When trying to use the 1.2.0 version I get the same error.
totalhavoc

Post by totalhavoc »

I can also confirm a problem with 1.2.0 when connecting from WinXP SP2 (client) to Win2k SP4 (server). I have tested using DSM plugin version 1.1.8 through 1.2.0 and none work except 1.1.8. Connecting from XP to XP works and connecting from 2k to 2k works. I just can not connect from XP to 2k or 2k to XP.
scovel

Post by scovel »

:o

Well that's a new one. I don't think I've even installed SP4 on my test machine. Can you run the crypto utility (crypto.exe -x) on both machines and send me the resulting log files.

Are you using MS Logon authentication? Have you tried it without MS Logon, and only using 8 characters of the password?

Sean
scovel

Post by scovel »

I have confirmed the bug. I cannot connect from XP to 2000Pro SP4. I don't know why yet. This worked before I upgraded to UltraVNC 1.0.2. Could be related. XP to XP works fine.

I'm going to try XP to 2003 and XP to NT, and if I'm really bored, I'll try 98SE.

Sean
scovel

Post by scovel »

This is getting stranger....

2000 SP4: Doesn't work, service or not
2003 Server: Works
NT: Doesn't work with the SERVER as a SERVICE, works otherwise
98SE: works

Not sure what is going on. I'd bet $$$ that the OpenSSL plugins work everywhere.

I don't have any time over the next few days to look into this. Next week I should be able to start debugging.

Sean
Li0n

Post by Li0n »

It also doesn't work with W2kSP4 as server (service) without MS Logon, and - like totalhavoc mentioned earlier - it also doesn't work if W2kSP4 is on the client side and WinXPSP2 on the server-side.

So can I use the DSM-Plugin-versions 1.1.8 with UltraVNC until this Bug in the Plugin v1.2.0 is fixed? Or are there some security- or compatibility-issues in this combination?

Thanx and
Kind regards
Li0n
scovel

Post by scovel »

Li0n,

Thanks for the additional information.

1.1.8 isn't ideal, but there is no reason you can't use it. What you can't do is mix 1.1.8 and 1.2.0.

Sean
scovel

Post by scovel »

Has anyone tried the 1.2.0 plugin with the previous release of UltraVNC, on 2000 SP4? We've got two "Point Zero" releases working together, so I'm not sure which is the problem. Trying to narrow it down.

Sean
bitbone

Post by bitbone »

@scovel: When using the UltraVNC SingleClick OnlineCreator you're still getting UVNC v1.0.1 in your generated exe file and this constellation doesn't work with MSRC4 Plugin v1.2.0 on Win2k for me. So I can confirm that it doesn't work with UVNC v1.0.1 on Win2k. Hope this will help you finding the error...
scovel

Post by scovel »

ALL,

Thanks for the help. I think I found the bug. STUPID me!!! Testing now. I should have a new version out tonight.

Sean
scovel

Post by scovel »

Version 1.2.1 is up on the plugin website.

Sean
Li0n

Post by Li0n »

Hi Sean,

I did now a few tests with DSM-Plugins v1.2.1.0

Test-enviroment:
(all Operation Systems in German and fully patched)

Viewer = always Standalone-Viewer v1.0.2 with NoReg-Plugin 1.2.1.0 on WinXP prof SP2

Server (Service) v1.0.2 with Reg-DSM-plugin 1.2.1.0 on WinXP prof SP2;
working ok, even with a key generated on a system with W2kprofSP4(!)

Server (Service) v1.0.2 with Reg-DSM-plugin 1.2.1.0 on W2k prof SP4;
NOT working!
Not with a key generated on the W2kSP4-machine,
Not with a key generated on the XP-machine, and
Not without a key
:|
Still only working without the encryption-plugin

Sorry, it looks like the bug is still there.

Kind Regards
Li0n
Last edited by Li0n on 2006-07-11 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
totalhavoc

Post by totalhavoc »

It is also not working for me. I have re-installed everything. XP to XP still works though.
boxatron

Post by boxatron »

I can confirm this problem, and I have a work around.

Start the server using the executable.

Open the admin properties.

Click the config button under DSM plugin.

Click OK.

Click OK.

While this is frusterating and eliminates the option for an automated server, it does work. Hopefully this will help fix the bug.
scovel

Post by scovel »

Interesting!

Maybe I'm not insane after all. I couldn't figure out how my tests were passing last night, but the plugin isn't working for anyone else. I must have been checking the configuration each time before the test.

Thanks! That should help.

Sean
scovel

Post by scovel »

When you go into the configure dialog, what Bit lengths are enabled? I'm seeing only 40Bit enabled on my 2000 box. If it is using 40Bit, and the XP box is using 128Bit, that would never work.

My 2000 machine definetly supports 128Bit. (I hate Microsoft!!!)

BTW, anybody try the ARC4 plugin? Same great taste, but less filling than MSRC4 plugin.

Sean
Li0n

Post by Li0n »

scovel wrote:When you go into the configure dialog, what Bit lengths are enabled? (...)
Sean
All three Bit lenghts (40, 56 & 128) are enabled. I allways tried it with the 128 Bit keys.

Regards
Li0n
user22

Post by user22 »

Hi,

i had the same problems with MSRC4Plugin (server on Win2k sp4 and viewer on XP sp2). No matter what i tried, it did not connect. Now i changed to ARC4Plugin and it's working. Tried starting VNCServer as service and direct, works both ways.

bye, Helmut
mino

Post by mino »

user22 wrote:Hi,

i had the same problems with MSRC4Plugin (server on Win2k sp4 and viewer on XP sp2). No matter what i tried, it did not connect. Now i changed to ARC4Plugin and it's working. Tried starting VNCServer as service and direct, works both ways.

bye, Helmut
yes I confirm that this solution works
scovel

Post by scovel »

Version 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 would not connect between XP and 2000. 1.2.2 has resolved this issue. Download 1.2.2 from my website.

Sean