Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UltraVNC 1.02 with AES 1.00 plugin crashes

Should you have problems with the DSM plugin, here's the place to look for help or report issues
wiesl

UltraVNC 1.02 with AES 1.00 plugin crashes

Post by wiesl »

Hello!

After the first connect to a UltraVNC Server (1.02) with AES 1.00 plugin (non beta) WINVNC crashes.

After a net start winvnc everything is ok.

Any ideas?

Thnx.

Wiesl

[mod=494,1161222198]moved from bug to dsmplugin[/mod]
Last edited by wiesl on 2006-10-19 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
bevtech

Re: UltraVNC 1.02 with AES 1.00 plugin crashes

Post by bevtech »

Are the plugins the same name and same version on the remote pcs and your viewer??
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
wiesl

Post by wiesl »

bevtech wrote:Are the plugins the same name and same version on the remote pcs and your viewer??
OK, thank you for the answer.

Yes, it was a version conflict between server and client (server was 1.02 with new aes 1.0 non beta plugin and client was 1.0rc19 with and older aes plugin).

I deinstalled both versions (plugins and UltraVNC) because it looks like that a reinstall doesn't update all the files ...

BTW: The new UltraVNC server shouldn't crash even in these conditions ...

Wiesl
wiesl

Post by wiesl »

wiesl wrote:
bevtech wrote:Are the plugins the same name and same version on the remote pcs and your viewer??
OK, thank you for the answer.

Yes, it was a version conflict between server and client (server was 1.02 with new aes 1.0 non beta plugin and client was 1.0rc19 with and older aes plugin).

I deinstalled both versions (plugins and UltraVNC) because it looks like that a reinstall doesn't update all the files ...

BTW: The new UltraVNC server shouldn't crash even in these conditions ...

Wiesl
Ok, I updated both server and client to UVNC 1.02, AES Plugin 1.00 nonbeta and Latest Mirror Driver.

Still crashes, typically after disconnect and reconnect.

There is an access violation to a NULL pointer.

It should be very easy to reproduce the problem.

Any ideas?

Wiesl
jftuga

Post by jftuga »

Have you tries the MS-RC4 plugin instead of AES? Does it crash, too?

-John
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

All the plugins work I have tested them on ( Win XP2 PRo and Win 2003 SErver, Windows Media Edition)

What OS are you trying these plugins on??

Did you have any 3D mouse pointers, non windows desktop themes installed on the sever machine??

Fast User Switching enabled??

More then one person logged into the machine you are trying to control??
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
Arnie_75

Post by Arnie_75 »

I just tried to use AES v1.00 and it won't work for me, too.

I was using ARC before which worked fine. I generated an AESv2.key, put the aesv2.key as well as the AESV2Plugin.dsm file in both program directories (server + viewer) and switched to AES encryption on both machines. I restarted the server computer and tried to connect using AES:
The viewer hang while 'negotiating protocol'. I had to cancel and when I tried to connect a second time the protocol hang while 'connecting to server'. After this I switched back to ARC plugin and everything is fine again.

Both computers run WinXP HOME as well as UltraVNC 1.02.
Last edited by Arnie_75 on 2006-10-27 13:58, edited 3 times in total.
Arnie_75

Post by Arnie_75 »

----
Last edited by Arnie_75 on 2006-10-27 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
wiesl

Post by wiesl »

bevtech wrote:All the plugins work I have tested them on ( Win XP2 PRo and Win 2003 SErver, Windows Media Edition)

What OS are you trying these plugins on??

Did you have any 3D mouse pointers, non windows desktop themes installed on the sever machine??

Fast User Switching enabled??

More then one person logged into the machine you are trying to control??
It is on Windows XP SP2.

I use dexpot for virtual desktop. (But I don't expect that this is the problem.)
http://www.dexpot.de/

Wiesl
redge

Post by redge »

every body
could you try with new patch winvnc 1.0.2 + patch test if fix the issue ?
[topic=8471][/topic]
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
wiesl

Post by wiesl »

redge wrote:every body
could you try with new patch winvnc 1.0.2 + patch test if fix the issue ?
[topic=8471][/topic]
Any news reagarding the problem?

Wiesl
NeoHobbit

Post by NeoHobbit »

I have same problem. It crashes during the negotiation of protocols. Everything is identical in terms of version. The plugin and aesv2 key i copied straight off the server and installed the Ultravnc with exact same setup file.

However this only occurs from remote places. Ie from home to work. Both running ADSL both behind NAT. (Everything port forwarded correctly). If I access the same server from another machine on the LAN at work, it works perfectly. Also if i turn the encryption off, it works. I have not tried another encryption as of yet, but will update when I do.
NeoHobbit

Post by NeoHobbit »

Interesting extension on my previous post.

If I include an aesv2.key file, it crashes BEFORE entering a password. Take out the aesv2.key (only on the client side) it crashes AFTER entering a password. Not sure if this is related or whether it is in fact expected.
bluebiker

Post by bluebiker »

Hi together,
i have the same problem like NeoHobbit.
I have same problem. It crashes during the negotiation of protocols. Everything is identical in terms of version. The plugin and aesv2 key i copied straight off the server and installed the Ultravnc with exact same setup file.

However this only occurs from remote places. Ie from home to work. Both running ADSL both behind NAT. (Everything port forwarded correctly). If I access the same server from another machine on the LAN at work, it works perfectly. Also if i turn the encryption off, it works. I have not tried another encryption as of yet, but will update when I do.
Both Systems are running Windows XP SP2 (German) latest patchlevel.
And UltraVNC Server (1.02) with AES 1.00 plugin (non beta). The server runs as service. To make it more safety i uses Port 64565 for communication.
JavaViewer (Http Connect) is disabled. Authentication method is VNC Password.

My next tests would be:
- using an other encrytion ie MSRC4Plugin or without
- try version UltraVNC 1.0.2 + Fix Test 1 and Test 2 for testing

If i have news i will report them

THX

bluebiker
bluebiker

Post by bluebiker »

Interesting extension on my previous post.

The phenomenon that ultra vnc crashs doesn't appear with the MSRC4Plugin 1.22.

I tried it different times an everything works fine. :)

So it should be a problem of the AES 1.00 plugin

bluebiker
midnightut

Post by midnightut »

Hi All,

I'm having the exact same problem that has been described above. When connecting to UltraVNC I get an application error on the server, and eventually I'll get a Connection Failed - Error reading protocol version message on the client.

Symptoms:
* On Client Side - After hitting connect the VNC Viewer Status window comes up, Status: Negotiate Protocol Version...
* On Client Side - The password dialog box is never shown
* On Client Side - After closing error box on the server or after timing out, I get an error message that says "Connection Failed - Error reading protocol version."
* On Server Side - As soon as the client attempts to connect a WinVNC.exe Application Error appears that says "The instruction at "0x7c93426d" referenced memory at "0x000801cb". The memory could not be "read"".

Relevent Information:
* Both Server and Client running Windows XP Pro SP2
* Both Server and Client running UltraVNC 1.0.2, AESV2Plugin.dsm 1.0.0
* Using Classical Authentication.
* Server is behind NAT firewall router. All port forwarding is done correctly.
* If encryption is turned off there isn't a problem.
* The Server is also running RealVNC, different port so there shouldn't be any conflict.

Other Observation:
* If I log into the server with RealVNC first, Open the Admin Properties, Cancel out of the Admin Properties, I can connect perfectly fine. Everything works from then on until I restart the server.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help. I'm going to post this on the other thread that seems to be related to this problem as well.

-Mid
fufu65

Post by fufu65 »

Hi,

I have the same problem on 2 pc's with Windows XP Pro SP2 and 2 network adapters connected; on another similar pc with 2 network adapters but only one connected the problem not occurs.
Without the plugin all works fine on all computers.

Any ideas?

Fufu
nickh

Post by nickh »

Hello,

I have been researching a connection problem I'm having with UltraVnc and I came across a post from wiesl.

I have been getting "WriteExact Socket error while writing" when attempting to switch to FTP mode and I think it has been occurring since installing Dexpot virtual desktops.

I would like to investigate this link. Did you manage to solve your problem? Is there anybody else out there with the combination of Dexpot and UltraVnc? Does ftp work well for you?

Thanks all, and apologies if I should have started a new subject

btw: I wish we had customizable favorite locations in ftp

Nick