Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Getting bounced with MSRC4Plugin 1.2.2

Should you have problems with the DSM plugin, here's the place to look for help or report issues
NM

Getting bounced with MSRC4Plugin 1.2.2

Post by NM »

Using UltraVNC w/MSRC4Plugin 1.2.2 No reg on Win XP Pro (all machines)
Multi-viewer connection is set to refuse new connection.

Since using MSRC4Plugin my connection to server gets severed many times a day for no apparent reason. It's not from a viewer within the office and there is never a specific time period between getting bounced.

While I am able to log on again without problem, it's driving me crazy.

Could it be that someone, somewhere outside of my office, is trying to log on or just ping my server/IP ? Would that cause it?

I need the security of the plugin but this disconnection business is getting to me.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Suggestions?
Norbert Majerus
Barbados
bevtech

Re: Getting bounced with MSRC4Plugin 1.2.2

Post by bevtech »

I have used the msrc4plugin with no major problems at all. I have noticed that if the internet connection is not stable or losing packets then you will have issues with keeping a connection.
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
NM

Post by NM »

Still having problem getting bounced so I had an other look at the various posts on this forum. I think it's redge who posted this....
workaround:
minimized tabbed_vncviewer resolved this isssue by sending fews byte every fews seconds for stay up the communication and fixed security issue/bug
Don't know what a tabbed vncviewer is. Where can I find info suitable for a relative newbie to VNC?

On sourceforge I see 'tabbed_vncviewer.exe' and also 'tabbed_vncviewer_129.exe' , etc.

Are those newer versions to vncviewer 1.1.0.2 I presently use?
Norbert Majerus
Barbados
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

yes but they do not support the dsm plugins..;(
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
NM

Post by NM »

Do they have other security measures, then? Or are there other benefits to these tabbed viewers?

The DSM plugin is what's getting me bounced.

When un-ticked, the connection is stable. When ticked, I get disconnected although it might take a while. Last time I checked it was after about 55 or 56 minutes. WinVNC is not closing, I can reconnect but I will get bounced again after later-on.
Norbert Majerus
Barbados
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

The tabbed viewer is the same security wise as the normal viewer. It does not support encryption. It does if I am remembering correctly have a keep alive by sending a packet now and then.

Is using the mslogon an option for you?? You can have up to 32 char passwords..
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
jftuga

Post by jftuga »

If you want a secure, encrypted UVNC connection, but can not use the msrc4 plugin, try the AES plugin. If this does not work either see my posts in this thread:
[topic=7686][/topic]
post #21, 25, and 29

-John
NM

Post by NM »

Thanks for feedback, guys...

The stunnel bit sounds rather complex but will look further into it. Will try the AES plugin in the interim although I read somewhere that it slows things down a little. I only have a 100.0 Mbps ADSL connection.

Without the DSM plugin my connection is stable so the tabbed viewer with the same security as the normal viewer doesn't really serve any purpose for me.
Is using the mslogon an option for you?? You can have up to 32 char passwords..
MSlogon might be a solution if I knew what I was doing. I have never been able to get that to work. Presently the server boots/runs without logon.

BTW, I also run Hamachi but the instability with the DMS was there before I installed Hamachi.

Could be that I am paranoid about the security issue but I seem to get about 10 - 15 attempts/day from unknown IPs to log on. It's not that I have great secrets on the server. I just don't want anyone to mess with my data. That data is my bread & butter.

Has either of you experimented with the free version of SSL Explorer?
Norbert Majerus
Barbados
jftuga

Post by jftuga »

I have not tried SSL Explorer. About the connection attempts, run UVNC on a non-standard port. Pick something between 10000 and 65500. This will make it somewhat harder for a hacker.

If you picked port 12345 (which I wouldn't recommend), on the client side you would connect by using "myserver:12345" in vncviewer.

-John
NM

Post by NM »

John,
Replacing the MSRC4Plugin with AES makes no difference. Still get bumped off.

It's got to be a software conflict and probably has nothing to do with the plugins per se.

I have identical Uvnc version and setup on laptop and if I log on from desktop to laptop I have no problem with that connection. With or without plugin.

What I have to do now is to logon from laptop to desktop and see if that connection is stable. This may tell me that the problem is exclusively on the server side.

I have thought about the port change but want to rectify this problem first
Norbert Majerus
Barbados
zaba

Post by zaba »

Hi,

Do you use any other application which tries to connect to uvnc's port whilst you use it? I use Nagios to check host (whether is it live or not) on uvnc's port (because of firewall) and (I guess) when it is occour uvnc disconnets. This is because MSRC4Plugin 1.2.2 does not support multi connection by default.
But this is just my assumption.

zaba
NM

Post by NM »

zaga

There are no other applications trying to connect that I know of. I even disabled MailWasher and dyndns updater, although both of them were set to do their job every ten minutes. Getting bounced is anywhere between approx. 5 and 55 minutes.

A few years ago I used VNC Central which, if I am not mistaken, allowed for a much longer password than the 8 characters. I liked liked that application. Unfortunately nothing seems to be happening on the development side of VNC Central [post=33536][/post]
Norbert Majerus
Barbados