Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Help Request with Logon

Should you have problems with the MS logon plugin, here's the place to look for help or report issues
kb-matrix

Help Request with Logon

Post by kb-matrix »

I am new to UltraVNC but so far love what it can do. Unfortunately I am having problems with logon capabilities and need some help at a remedial level I guess. I am running a Windows XP Home machine behind a Netgear router. Everything works fine as long as the machine is running in an active sense. Where my problem starts is when the screen saver kicks in. It is set to take me to the Windows Welcome screen on reactivation as my method of requiring password protection to use the machine. I have downloaded the latest version 1.9 and have set it up to require the MSLogon and specified the New Version. After clicking the Configuration button I set up the User Name as it shows up on the Welcome Screen. The password for UltraVNC and the User name are the same. When I attempt to log on to the server machine I get the signon box requesting the user name and password and have tried using only the user name as well as the format shown in the configuration box that has the machine name/user name. When I attempt to log in I get an authentication error. Anyone care to take a shot at explaining my error and walking me through the process I need. I am generally pretty computer literate but seem to be struggling with this one. Thanks in advance.
Marscha
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Marscha »

Could you please have a look at the your application log in the Event Viewer.
There should be an entry for each logon/logoff event stating the username that was used.

You mentioned "the latest version 1.9".
Please make sure that you installed the files from http://dl.ultravnc.net/TEST19_12 and http://dl.ultravnc.net/TEST19_13.
kb-matrix

Post by kb-matrix »

Thanks for the response, here is what I have found in looking at the logs and the things I have tried.

First, I looked at the logs and found that I had tried about every combination I could think of so I went back and started from scratch.

I uninstalled all versions of Ultr@VNC on both computers I am using to test this. I downloaded all files from the two links you provided and put all files in the directory C:\Program Files\UltraVNC and unzipped all zip files into that directory as well. I then created shortcuts on my desktop insuring that they were linked to the new files just mentioned.

I loaded the server software on the main computer and tested connecting to it with requiring any authentication other than a password. This works fine as long as the computer is active and not in screen saver mode which upon activation would kick the computer back to the Windows Welcome screen.

Upon the success above, I checked the box requiring Require MS Logon, told it to configure Logon groups and accepted the default. I then tried to connect and was successful by typing in the username as it shows on the Welcome screen and password (Welcome screen and password and the password set in Ultr@VNC are the same). I can successfully connect on this basis if the server computer is active. If the server computer is in screen saver mode I can connect but crash as soon as I move the cursor and the server kicks over to the Welcome Screen. If the welcom screen is already showing, the viewer software appears to crash immediately. When I review the log for each of these three instances, the first two appear to be normal, showing connection received and subsequent disconnection. In the first case the disconnect is the result of my actions, in the second it is obviously due to the Welcome Screen coming up and forcing the disconnect. The third item never shows the identical language for connection received but not one for a disconnect even though from the viewer side it doesn't appear to have ever made a connection.

After the tests above, I moved to checking the box to use the New MS Logon, again clicked the configure button, clicked the add button and typed the username in the box and clicked "Check Names" and then accepted the result provided granting permission for full control, interact and view. I then ran the same three tests as were run above using only the username and password and then ran it three more times using the computer name\username combination. In all cases I get a message on the viewer computer that VNC Authentication Failed and a message in the log on the server side that says "Invalid attempt (not authenticated) from client xx.xx.xxx.xxx using xxxxxxxxx account.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. One last thing I should mention but may not be important is that the user name is two words with a blank between them.

KB-Matrix
Marscha
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Marscha »

There are two different problems that are not related.
The first one is with the "old" mslogon if the screen saver is active.
Try to run winvnc as service:
winvnc -install
should help.

The other one is with the new mslogon, which should work, even with blanks in the username.
I checked it on my machine and it works for me.
What I found is that Windows distinguishes between "Name" and "Full Name" (this is how it's called in Windows 2000) which can be quit confusing.
Make sure that you use the "Name" and not the "Full Name" when you are prompted for username/password.
On the MSLogon security page you first see the "Full Name" and then in parentheses the "Name" prefixed with the computername (or the domain).
Sorry, this is a Microsoft feature, but I'm now aware that this could ruin your day. :o
I'll try to provide a thorough explanation of this in the next test version. :)
kb-matrix

Still no luck

Post by kb-matrix »

Marscha,

I really appreciate the assistance you are providing, unfortunately I don't seem to be making headway (probably a user problem :( )

I used the command prompt to run winvnc -install as you suggested and get a message to the effect that the service is registered and can be run from Control Panel after a reboot. Upon reboot I get an error message saying "Warning: This machine has no default password set. WinVNC will present the Default Properties dialog now to allow one to be entered." In some cases I can click OK and get the dialog box, in others I can't ever get it to come up. When I do get the box it appears that there is a password in the box. In all cases, I am unable to make any changes before getting the Windows dialog box telling me WINVNC.EXE has encountered a problem and must shut down.

When I go to Control Panel, I find no indication of an icon to do anything with UltraVNC. If I click my desktop icon I start winvnc but get the same results previously indicated in my earlier message. If I try and restart from a command prompt I am told the program is already registered.

Any ideas?
Marscha
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Marscha »

You can start the winvnc service from Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Services.
Or you can right-click the "My Computer" icon and choose "Manage" from the context menu and then go to Services in the "Services and Applications" section.

In Services, scroll down to "VNC Server" and start the service.
Now you should get the Admin Properties dialog where you can enter the default password.
You can also set other options like "Require MS-Logon" and "New MS-Logon" and you can configure the groups and users that have access with the new ms-logon.

Hope this helps :)
Martin
kb-matrix

Post by kb-matrix »

Damn progress can be painful. I followed your suggestions and now have winvnc running as a service. I also set up the user and password and all seems well. Unfortunately I am still getting an error on the viewer side that authentication failied and the log on the server side confirms this. When I set up the user is finds the group/user combination and when confirmed shows it as ".username" I have tried using .\username, \username and username as the signon along with the appropriate password. One other note, when I look at the service running it uses a default load of winvnc -service rather than winvnc - install as you suggested. I assume the -install was needed to set it as a service and the -service is appropriate for actually running it as a service. I am grasping for ideas here, but is there any chance that the problem is due to the viewer side being a different operating system than the server side? The server is WinXP and the viewer is Win98SE. I truly appreciate all the assistance and hope I am close to resolving this and getting out of your hair on the matter.

Regards,

KB-MATRIX
Marscha
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Marscha »

There's something strange going on: ...and when confirmed shows it as ".username"...
Normally you should have "MyComp\MyUser" or MyComp\MyGroup", where MyComp is the computername and MyUser or MyGroup is the username or groupname.
You can see an example in [topic=917][/topic]. The computername (or domainname) is blackened.
Does this look familiar or do you have something totally different?

OS on the viewer side is not relevant for ms-logon. WinXP on the server side should be OK.

Please check %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\WinVNC-AuthSSP.log (%SYSTEMROOT% is something like C:\Windows or C:\WinNT).
There should be a line starting with CUPSD2: where you can see if authentication or authorization failed.