Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SCPrompt - SC on Steroids (7, 8, 10, 2k8+) 26/3/20

Single Click discussions / bugs
B

Re: SCPrompt 2009 (Vista Capable - SC or Server 1.0.8.0) 1/1

Post by B »

Yay! A new SCPrompt! This is great news. Thanks, JDaus.
btdownloads7

Post by btdownloads7 »

JDaus wrote:ok, i have tested iexpress installer in user mode with standard (limited) user type on win7, and it works without asking for the admin privileged ...
Can you please make sure that this won't cause problems in Safe Mode? I know installer doesn't work there, and it would really suck if the new version of SCPrompt stopped working in Safe Mode (with Networking).
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

btdownloads7 wrote:Can you please make sure that this won't cause problems in Safe Mode?
the builder has the option to create with either iexpress or 7zip, so no functionality has been removed. you just have a choice of builder method now...

as for whether iexpress will work ... only time will tell.
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

Latest release has been uploaded ...

http://vnc2me.org/en/downloads.html?func=fileinfo&id=20

improvements include:
  • builder has iexpress & 7zip options (second prompt)
    scprompt language files can optionally be split into separate files for each different language.
    builder now uses logo.ico as built package icon (for 7zip only at this stage)
Last edited by JDaus on 2010-05-01 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
ProPeace

Post by ProPeace »

Hi JDaus... :wink:

Sorry for time taken to answer. Very busy those times...

But I gave a look to your alpha release this afternoon,
and I didn't have any success.

I've only tested with XP/XP on LAN. The basic.

With 7zip built scPrompt, I can see the server screen on viewer, but I don't take control of the mouse. But the Chat and File Transfert seems working. Server shows a message "Trying to connect to...".

With IExpress built scPrompt, I can't connect : "VNC connection has started, attempting connection to viewer...". Nothnig on Viewer computer screen.

Same built settings for the 2, except 7zip/IExpress,
& tested with and without "Service Mode",
on up-to-date Windows XP Pro, and working wired private network.
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

JDaus wrote:
btdownloads7 wrote:Can you please make sure that this won't cause problems in Safe Mode?
the builder has the option to create with either iexpress or 7zip, so no functionality has been removed. you just have a choice of builder method now...

as for whether iexpress will work ... only time will tell.
Update3: Have to pre-face this and say I must have worked too hard on this today because I forgot to mention something VERY important I had to do as well to get this working - see Update3 (cont) section for details (or you will still get black screen problem).

Well, I believe I have GOOD news for you. First off, let me thank you immensely for 'picking up the ball' on this type of project - since I am a computer consultant as well and had used SC for years until Vista-Win7 came out and no 'good' program had came out to pick up where SC left off and truly work. I was having to have any 'new' clients temporarily install a new copy of Ultravnc on their computer which takes at least a good 5 minutes and some confusion with most clients out there (not to mention the 'entering password bug' where you would have to have them enter the VNC password two different times - once for regular mode after install and once for service mode - jeesh).

So I decided to create myself some new advertisements today and realized that I REALLY needed to get SOME sort of working single-click client going if I was going to 'professionally' provide support for new clients. I found your SC Prompt pinned to the top of the SC sub-forum and started reading. I'll shorten this story a lot by saying, I worked most of the day on this - and I'm a Network Administrator by day! I don't blame you at all - just that even with my knowledge of custom building the SC client before - there were a lot of things that 'threw' me for a loop (like most others here) - especially and including the 'black screen only' on SC Prompt connect.

The main thing that I finally realized - you have somewhat TWO different (but similar/complementing) projects going - the VNC2me 'wrapper' - and the SC. Since I originally found yours by going to the Ultravnc forums/SC sub-forum, it didn't even cross my mind that you had another project - and I could never figure out until then why your 'debug info' switch wouldn't work.

Any rate, I'll skip to the chase here: I like others just had the 'black screen' only on connect with Win7 on both ends (Vista too). I tried both flavors - the 7-zip build type (which I was familar with from the other SC) and the iexpress. The thing I noticed on iexpress build, was that I didn't even get black screen using your latest 04-30 alpha. Finally found by looking 'inside' the archive that your installer was leaving out WINVNC.exe. It was in the directory as it had been and in your SED file - but still leaving it out. What I finally wound up doing was using the MANUAL batch file builder (build_via_batch_iexpress.bat) to build with and it finally included the WINVNC then (just wouldn't include it with Build_SCPrompt.exe).

Once I had that figured out, I still was getting a different error on the remote end ('Failed to open service control manager'). I did assume at this point that it was probably a UAC problem - and tried to run it MANUALLY as Administrator by doing right-click, Run as Administrator. This time it worked finally! I however needed to get this fixed since I really didn't want clients to have to do this - as simple as it is - as I wanted something to work fairly 'smoothly' and not confuse clients further.

I then started Google'ing and read up on 'Manifests' and finally found that you're supposed to be able to specify this in a EXE manifest. I then with a LOT more research, found you can edit the Manifest ALSO through Resource Hacker. I also found examples of what to change in the Manifest to make it want to load the file 'As Administrator' on the remote end. This is how I did it:

EDIT your custom-made iexpress SC client (initially named 'scprompt_iexpress.exe') with Resource Hacker (which you can get linked to from your 'Build_SCPrompt.exe' file by answering YES to the prompt about it). In there, you need to change the portion under 24_1_1033 about 'execution level' to tell it you want to run as Administrator. The exact wording to change is level="asInvoker" to level="requireAdministrator" Once changed, you need to click the 'Compile Script' button above this window (DON'T LEAVE THIS STEP OUT OR IT WON'T TAKE) - and then click 'File' and 'Save'. I've highlighted this section in the screenshot I will link to later (will have to host the screenshot later since it doesn't allow attachments here).

Once this is done, the EXE should now ask to 'Run as administrator' when you try to start it. This fixes the problem with 'black screen' and allows it to run!

Important note: One thing that frustrated me for a LONG while is that apparently Windows 'caches' the Manifest for the EXE file if that same EXE has been ran before NOT requiring Admin. The easiest way around this is to - believe it or not - save it to another FOLDER. It seems to 're-read' the manifests and should now update and 'ask for admin'.

I have more to post but wanted to get this info out there. I found a couple more bugs I was able to work around - namely in the scprompt.ini file where it requires more than one connection entry or it will ignore them entirely - but I will post on that later!

Hope this helps - will update this soon!

Kevin

UPDATE: One other thing I remembered that threw me - the iexpress version tried to use the 64-bit version to build with and I was trying to run the remote end with 32-bit. Would not load! I had to change the path in the manual batch file and will update on this shortly.

Update2: In order to force a '32-bit' build if building under Win64, change the following line in the 'build_via_batch_iexpress.bat' file:

to: c:\windows\syswow64\iexpress.exe /N ./build_resources/SCPrompt.SED

Update3 (cont..): (VERY IMPORTANT): Again, worked too long and through lunch and forgot to mention this since there were so many other things I had to 'tweak' to get this working (especially including the above fix too though): I read this somewhere (on this thread I believe) that got me on the right track: you MUST change the setting in 'scprompt.ini' from UseSC_Prompt=1 TO UseSC_Prompt=0 *ALSO* for the 'black screen' problem to go away. I had done this long before I had to fix the UAC problems and somehow forgot this (lack of food!). Hopefully I caught this before any of you tried the rest of the 'fixes'. Once I fixed this and all the other things mentioned here, I now have a very stable and fast SCprompt client using the iexpress build that is smooth and works very well. Thanks again JD - and hope this will help contribute back! Let me know when you get a chance to digest all this - as I have some more 'bug fixes' to post - but not as major. Don't won't to overload you with too much! :)

Last edited by kmruss on 2010-05-06 17:29, edited 9 times in total.
The CPU Crew

Post by The CPU Crew »

Hello kmruss,

Is there any chance you could post your revised version of this for others to download? Sounds like you have fixed some important issues. Thanks for your tips as I am in the same position as you , needing a simple remote solution for our not so tech savy clients. Keep us posted with your new findings if you have the time.
Last edited by The CPU Crew on 2010-05-07 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

awesome post, thanks for sharing,you have highlighted a few things that I can fix to better improve scprompt, I will look into these problems. I can also make an ini entry to runas admin, as its not needed for all scenarios this app can be used for.

thanks for letting me know of your post, as I didn't get a notification on either username that I subscribe to this head with.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
B

Post by B »

Great contributions, kmruss.

A separate question - Are people using SCPrompt successfully with the UltraVNC repeater? (I know it supports it.) I have had lots of trouble with stability, mostly using the ChunkVNC derivative. The scenario is simply that the target server attaches to the repeater first and reconnects as needed in polling fashion, while the roaming viewer (me) often has trouble connecting. supercoe seemed to identify the issue happens only when the server connects to the repeater before the viewer does.

So is SCPrompt (particularly the server side I would imagine) having more luck maintaining reliable repeater connections? I'm going to try it again but thought I'd ask first.
kerching

Post by kerching »

JDaus thanks for the new installer. I had some time today to work with it and after following the great tips by kmruss I now have a solution.

To confirm probably the biggest issue discovered by kmruss which also had me stumped.
I could not build a working version using iexpress version using Build_SCPrompt.exe and had to use the build_via_batch_iexpress.bat which gave a larger file size. (I guess it has all correct files this way)

This solved my immediate problem of Win 7 User mode - Thanks guys.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moving forward it would be nice to see a solution to the Black screen issue that still allows the prompt on setup.
As a work around, would it be possible to have a SCPrompt and or service mode option for each Predefined connection.
This way we can setup a predefined connection for Vista/Win7 users and a seperate one for XP users.

Great work
Thanks again.
:)
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

JDaus wrote:awesome post, thanks for sharing,you have highlighted a few things that I can fix to better improve scprompt, I will look into these problems. I can also make an ini entry to runas admin, as its not needed for all scenarios this app can be used for.

thanks for letting me know of your post, as I didn't get a notification on either username that I subscribe to this head with.
Hey JD - you bet - glad I could give back on this. I'm a slight bit of a perfectionist but I try to keep it under control - but I believe I can help you 'squash' a lot of the bugs I've come across and will report more later when you are ready. Also, this is a 'silly' workaround for not getting notified, but I think I'll post a quick thread on YOUR forums and turn on email notification - and if you (and anyone else who updates this thread here) will just also post a quick post like 'updated ultravnc.info post' in that same thread, anyone who subscribes to that thread will also get notifications. Hokey workaround, but I guess it can work until Ultravnc.info fixes their email notifications. :) http://vnc2me.org/en/forum.html?func=vi ... 30&catid=7

When you say 'make an ini entry', do you mean the 'UAC' (admin confirmation) would come up when INITIALLY running the built .exe SC client file - or that it would come up say when the person clicks on 'Share Desktop'? I definitely prefer it coming up INITIALLY as I believe it would confuse the client - but that may be what you're saying? Also, keeping in mind, that running it as admin was REQUIRED to get it to work when the 'Service Mode' checkbox is checked (with iexpress build - otherwise you get the 'failed to open service control manager) - and remembering it is the DEFAULT (so basically it almost makes it a requirement to run as admin unless someone sets their ini to build with 'Service Mode' NOT checked).

If you can do all of the above easily to accomplish the same behavior as my manifest modifcation, I say go for it! (cause the manifest caching issue can be a PAIN until you understand it). Let us know of any new versions and I'll help test - or I can try to watch your website as well (vnc2me.org).
B wrote: A separate question - Are people using SCPrompt successfully with the UltraVNC repeater? (I know it supports it.)
I can't attest to how reliable or if a repeater works at all with SCprompt - however I will offer 2-3 alternatives that I use when I'm 'out of pocket' to allow me to use others VNC that you may or may not be aware of:

1) You can make sure to build your custom SC client with the 'manual' button option enabled and just have your clients type in your current IP address you are at. However I realize this does require that wherever you are that port 5500 (or etc.) is port forwarded to you - most of the time not a viable option at a Hotel, public connection, etc.
2) You can connect into your 'office/home' desktop first via Remote Desktop (if you're running at least XP Pro, Vista Business, or Win7 Pro) and then have the client connect to your 'normal' connection via your SC. You'd be surprised how well/fluid a remote desktop connect is at say 256 colors connecting in remotely and then taking control of someone from there (your office/home desktop acts as a'repeater' in a sense that way without using a 'true' UVNC repeater). Client doesn't have to do anything different or type a manual address.
3) Or 3 (again requires port forwarding) have your connection in your custom SC file set to a dynamic IP like mine (such as bobpc.homeip.net) and then log into the Dyndns.org website and update your IP remotely). Again, not an option in a public place but if you're at a place where you have access to forward the router's ports, much more ideal since it's easy for the client - they do nothing different (not even manual).

And however I wouldn't even be surprised if the true repeater works just fine since JD (author of SCprompt) uses the standard and current Ultravnc 1.0.8.2 server. Give it a shot and let us know your results.
kerching wrote: To confirm probably the biggest issue discovered by kmruss which also had me stumped.
I could not build a working version using iexpress version using Build_SCPrompt.exe and had to use the build_via_batch_iexpress.bat which gave a larger file size. (I guess it has all correct files this way)
Yes, the 'build_scprompt.exe' builder when building via iExpress leaves out the critical 'winvnc.exe' server file for right now until JD can get this fixed (explaining the smaller file size but of course would never work). My completed iExpress build comes in right under 1mb right now - which in the age of DSL/Cable is not an issue at all - especially considering this SC client has file transfer and chat versus my old one that didn't. I tried to avoid ANY dialup support if I can - but can always fall back to my 'old' client if needed in that case (cause more than likely they have a non-Vista/Win7 computer anyway which that version supports at around 200k).
The CPU Crew wrote: Hello kmruss,

Is there any chance you could post your revised version of this for others to download? Sounds like you have fixed some important issues. Thanks for your tips as I am in the same position as you , needing a simple remote solution for our not so tech savy clients. Keep us posted with your new findings if you have the time.
Yes - I basically created a 'stripped' down version of my custom SCprompt with generic info in the INI file and have uploaded and hosted a link via my website for you to download. I'll warn you it won't look as 'professional' until you do it on your own - because your clients will have to click the 'MANUAL' button (won't have your predefined IP address/connect in there already) - and then there is a 'bug' to where it displays the text descriptions for the text boxes in the wrong place when choosing 'manual' (JD this is one of those bugs I was going to report to you when you have time).

However, this is a good functional copy with 'black screen' issue fixed and built with IEXPRESS (which doesn't have the 'did this program install correctly' msg at the end further confusing clients) - and with it's 'EXE Manifest' modified by me forcing it to 'run as admin'. JD, I wanted to post this since it was requested and so others could have a 'working copy' until you get a chance to fix the black screen/UAC bugs - however if you're not 'kosher' with this just say the word and I'll remove. It's only a custom .exe and not the redistributable files.

CPU Crew (and others), if you want to try to make your own 'fixed' version with your custom logos, connection info, etc., you just mainly have to fix two things (or 1 thing with 7-zip build):

1) edit scprompt.ini and change the 'UseSC_Prompt=1' TO 'UseSC_Prompt=0'.

Make sure then that when building with 'build_scprompt.exe' that you answer NO to the question about building with 'iExpress' and it will force a 7-zip build which correctly uses UAC to start. This change will fix the 'black screen issue' on client connect. The only main downside to building with 7-zip is you get the annoying/confusing confirmation AFTER the custom SC .exe file is closed by the end user saying 'did this program install correctly' which I don't like - however you may opt for this if you find the iexpress method too complex for now.

2) (if you want to build with iexpress): Also do step 1 (answering YES though to building with iExpress) but you'll also have to use the 'manual' batch file that is included called 'build_via_batch_iexpress.bat' to build with (otherwise it will leave out the core EXE file winvnc.exe) - and THEN follow my detailed instructions on manually editing the custom EXE file's 'manifest' with the 'Resouce Hacker' program to 'requireAdministrator' (use UAC rights).

Let me know if you do either of the above and get it to work or not. I'm sure I can guide you in the right direction.

Or you're welcome to use my .EXE I made for you and others until JD gets time to fix.

CUSTOM 'generic' built SC prompt EXE via iExpress with 'black screen issue' fixed and Manual option:
http://www.computerworksar.com/scprompt/support.exe

Kevin
Last edited by kmruss on 2010-05-11 21:53, edited 9 times in total.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

kerching wrote:To confirm probably the biggest issue discovered by kmruss which also had me stumped.
i have looked into this, it works fine on WinXP, but seams to not include all files when built on Win7 (and i presume Vista) ...

winvnc.exe doesn't get included for some reason (its like it is not even seen)

let me explain how it works ...
  • 1) the builder gets a list of all files in the sub-directory (scprompt in this case)
    2) the builder writes this list to a SED file in the local temp (sub) directory
    3) the builder creates the client file based on this SED file
i am unable to find out why the winvnc.exe doesn't exist in this list ... it is quite worrying, and it rather painful.

i should be able to check for winvnc.exe in the file list, and add it if not found ... this will mean i will have to remove some code from scprompt which looks for uvnc.exe as well as winvnc.exe and just make it hard coded to winvnc.exe ...

while i am in there, i will add a check for winvnc.exe on startup, and error out if it doesn't exist (thus removing the false connection process that is seen at present)

so if you build it with winxp, it should work fine, but anything above that may have issues ...

i am working on this ...

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

kmruss wrote:JD, I wanted to post this since it was requested and so others could have a 'working copy' until you get a chance to fix the black screen/UAC bugs - however if you're not 'kosher' with this just say the word and I'll remove. It's only a custom .exe and not the redistributable files.

CUSTOM 'generic' built SC prompt EXE via iExpress with 'black screen issue' fixed and Manual option:
http://www.computerworksar.com/scprompt/support.exe

Kevin
Mate, thanks

your welcome to publish whatever you want, this is all 100% open source (for my part anyway), i appreciate your work in trying to help others. and i hope you can help me work out what is actually happening (based on my previous post) with the winvnc.exe NOT being included in the file list ...

question
do you get any "Work" done, as your posts are usually so large, and so well writen, it would take me hours to write even your last post ... :D

thanks for contributing ...

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

Mate, thanks

your welcome to publish whatever you want, this is all 100% open source (for my part anyway), i appreciate your work in trying to help others. and i hope you can help me work out what is actually happening (based on my previous post) with the winvnc.exe NOT being included in the file list ...

question
do you get any "Work" done, as your posts are usually so large, and so well writen, it would take me hours to write even your last post ... :D

thanks for contributing ...
ROFL - I'm still laughing at that. I think I just type 'too fast' so therefore I then tend to include too much. :) Thanks - I know I'm even too 'wordy' (detailed) sometimes, but I try chop it down to what matters.

Will be glad to help you test this - especially since I'm building on Win7 and x64. Just shoot me a PM and/or reply here when you have a new build to try and I'll be glad to. That is strange that it excludes it, yes, as it seems like it would work. Silly question, but wouldn't assume 'cAsE Sensitive' would matter? (Since it IS Windows it shouldn't ... but....).

On a positive note, I had sent a feedback to the Forum Admins about the notifications not coming through - and believe it or not, I got a notification that you had replied this time. Not sure if it will stay working - but we'll see! :)

Just let me know on the test file and I'll be glad too - thanks.

Kevin
B

Post by B »

JDaus, a suggestion for your next SCPrompt bundle. Please consider reverting to the 1.0.8.0 code for the server side, in order to stabilize repeater connections.

If you check [topic=18016][/topic] and some other threads, many of us have been having problems with repeater connections in 1.0.8.2 (the server stops responding after a few hours, regardless of repeater version), and reverting to 1.0.8.0 on the server side fixes the problem.

Thanks...
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

B wrote:JDaus, a suggestion for your next SCPrompt bundle. Please consider reverting to the 1.0.8.0 code for the server side, in order to stabilize repeater connections.

If you check [topic=18016][/topic] and some other threads, many of us have been having problems with repeater connections in 1.0.8.2 (the server stops responding after a few hours, regardless of repeater version), and reverting to 1.0.8.0 on the server side fixes the problem.

Thanks...
Hey B - two things:

You can easily do this yourself by just downloading the binaries for 1.0.8.0 and putting replacing the current 'winvnc.exe' in the 'scprompt' folder with the older version. However I'd have to find out/ask, what was 'fixed' then in 1.0.8.2? If it's security/bug related, I wouldn't say go back permanently - however I'd say go for it if you need it for relay reasons. Maybe JD could even put something in a 'readme' etc. about that and give people the option. I think most would want to run the latest version. That's my .02 worth.

P.S. If you'd like me to help you make your custom file (iexpress build with modified manifest to run as admin) with your 1.0.8.0 just pm me and let me know.
Last edited by kmruss on 2010-05-17 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
B

Post by B »

Yes, thanks kmruss, I already did something similar in getting ChunkVNC to work with 1.0.8.0 today in my testing (dropping the older winvnc.exe into place). That's what led me/us to confirm that the problem many of us have been having is caused by the 1.0.8.2 server. So I can probably get it going with SCPrompt as well.

As to "what was 'fixed'" that would be for Rudi to authoritatively determine, but I posted a changelog in the linked thread, as well as some preliminary speculation.

Believe me, I don't LIKE the idea of reverting to a prior version, but in this case it really makes a lot of sense. For my purposes, the repeater is unusable with 1.0.8.2. Leaving a server up and attached to a repeater invariably resulted in complete failure of connectivity after a few hours.

What I would RATHER see, of course, is that the developers figure out what 1.0.8.2's problem is and correct it (via patch or upgrade). Again, it's not just me -- it's a confirmed problem with 1.0.8.2 and the repeater (and it doesn't seem to matter at all what version of the repeater is involved). For some reason the 1.0.8.2 server starts increasing its polling interval in reconnecting to the repeater, to the point where it's not really reachable via the repeater at all.

(The other thing that works much better for me in 1.0.8.0 is the monitor switching. It's very flaky and almost unusable in the newer version. Please see the linked thread for more...)
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

JDaus wrote:i have looked into this, it works fine on WinXP, but seams to not include all files when built on Win7 (and i presume Vista) ...

winvnc.exe doesn't get included for some reason (its like it is not even seen)

let me explain how it works ...
  • 1) the builder gets a list of all files in the sub-directory (scprompt in this case)
    2) the builder writes this list to a SED file in the local temp (sub) directory
    3) the builder creates the client file based on this SED file
Hi JDaus,

Firstly, thanks for all your work on this project. I really appreciate it.

I'm running XP Home SP3 and winvnc.exe isn't included. I believe it's an error in getting a list of all files in the sub-directory, i.e. it's not including the last file. Here's how I worked around the issue:

In the scprompt sub-directory, create a new text file & name it "z.txt".

This caused Build_SCPrompt.exe to correctly build the file list and include winvnc.exe. So, now z.txt is the last file in the list and isn't included.

enjoy life,
Elroy
B

Post by B »

Cool -- that sounds like a very fixable bug then.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

From PM conversation ...
gfreed wrote:Yes i flat out love this program, it works on almost everyones computer with very little difficulties.
Good to hear that ...
gfreed wrote:Only problem i have sometimes it freaks some folks out how i can literally crawl though a network when i get access to any one machine.
Most people have no idea how to secure their routers or even computers ... most of my home clients (which is not something i try to get many of) are shockingly ignorant as how bad their computers are ... many of them don't have virus scanners or anything installed ... 100's of viruses can be found on their computers ...
gfreed wrote:I found this really cool app you might like!
http://systemexplorer.mistergroup.org/download.php
Sounds very similar to process explorer by sysinternals (they have some awesome little apps) who where bought by Microsoft a few years back ...
gfreed wrote:No i didn't even know it had an auto-connect feature. Oh, it will reconnect if i get dropped! I didn't know what service mode was so i left it alone.
you can use the autoreconnect features without service mode ... and you can always just add a shortcut to scprompt in their startup folder (if a user automatically logs onto computer on restart), and use the -c X commandline option which will use the auto start GUI (X is the number of your connection in the INI

service mode also plays very nicely with ultravnc already being installed ... it will use the service that is already installed rather then trying to install and use a new service ...

only thing with service mode is you cannot use the sc_prompt feature of the server, as it doesn't work (bug in UVNC ... not scprompt)
gfreed wrote:I've had some difficulty finding a good set of instructions i can understand!
I don't actually use scprompt, i rarely support any clients online nowdays, most are offline, so if you can get together with some other users and create a manual of sorts, that would be great ... i find it hard to dedicate time to something that i have only ever used a few times (other then testing), so spending further time documenting is not an option sorry ... it started as a quick replacement for other options that wanted people to pay to use it commercially ... then others adding features, extended and updated over time to be what it is today ... hope you can understand ...
gfreed wrote:Is there away to put a little encryption on this?
This is done the same way as the normal server encyption ... i don't use it, so you will have to look through the thread at earlier posts ... it is explained in there somewhere ... [post=61814]check here ...[/post]
gfreed wrote:Thank you for taking the time to talk to me!
You welcome ... i hope you get it running as you want ... i will hopefully try to add some of the features you have highlighted in the future, but it will be something that i do when i have time, as scprompt is working well at present, and i have MANY other projects that i need to give my attention to ... here is a quick list: Just to list a few ...

add to this the fact that i have to work (to pay bills and such) and you get some idea of how much time i get to spend with my family ...
Last edited by JDaus on 2010-05-30 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
faba

Post by faba »

Thanks kmruss for the workarounds and of course JDaus for the great program.

But I got one major problem. If I activate service mode and restart the pc with Vista I got during shutdown an UltraVNC message that the password is not set. After restart I got an UltraVNC configuration dialog which is respawned all the time and many instances of winvnc.exe are started which make everything sluggish. This seems pretty hard to fix from remote so I can't risk it I think.

I am using Iexpress, UseSC_Prompt=0 (because of the black screen) and MAIN_DISABLE_UAC=0. I am running the VNC instance as admin through a manifest file.

Is there a workaround for that? I have tried to disable autoreconnect which seems to work but the ultravnc instance doesn't close after I disconnect so scprompt is not able to remove the temporary files. Is this a bug or is this for purpose? I would add -sc_exit to the ultravnc.ini but afaik this is only used if I disable UseSC_Server=1 .

Maybe as a workaround scprompt could add a command to remove the service on pc start or just remove the entry of the service after starting it if this works without killing the current running one.
Last edited by faba on 2010-05-31 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

You're welcome - glad you've got it working for you!

What I do to have it disconnect me and remove files is BRING IT UP from bottom (where it's minimized, etc.) and click EXIT on it. Simple I know - and very effective. It threw me for a bit - because when it means auto-reconnect, it MEANS auto-reconnect. But I finally got it to kill out by simply doing this and it seems to work. Just don't close out using the 'X' in the upper-right of your VNC window as we're used to - although if you forget (and of course it does reconnect assuming you left auto-reconnect on which I suggest you do for this case), then just bring it up from bottom and click EXIT then.

As far as rebooting, I didn't have that problem about password being set - HOWEVER, I believe I know what this may be: Did your client already have Ultravnc installed before you ran your SC version? I believe if they did, it may be starting this instance (which they may have not had set to start) - and somehow bringing this up (Ultravnc doesn't set a password by default for security reasons). I will tell you that I believe if you have the person type a generic-type password and click OK to save and CONTINUE for the UAC prompt to confirm, that it SHOULD go away.

Let me know and maybe I can help you troubleshoot.

By the way JD, that was some of the 'other bugs' I was going to talk to you about - mainly that I had a LOT of trouble (strange things) when my father already had Ultravnc installed on his - and conflict-type issues. I told you I'd post them later - and probably should have wrote them down! If/when I come across them again I will post them this time.

Also, that's great news from Elroy on spotting how that 'bug' is coming about building with iExpress-mode through the build_scprompt.exe program - THANKS Elroy! JD, when you get time, can you do as he did (just add a last file like 'z.txt' and rebuild)? This should fix the iExpress version building correctly - except for maybe the required admin (UAC issue) - which I believe you said you thought you could fix as well without having to do my manual 'manifest editing'? Let me know and I can help test!

Let me know on the above faba!

Thanks.
Last edited by kmruss on 2010-06-01 05:48, edited 5 times in total.
pecket

Controlling the application

Post by pecket »

Don't want to bother JDaus when I know how busy he is with his personal life together with this.

My issue is quite simple. I'm currently using the SCIII-executable to connect to an SSL repeater that the support agent connects to. The following events occur:

Customer runs help.exe which generates a random number, for example 1234, and executes the vncviewer with the following switches:
-id 1234 -sslproxy -kill -autoreconnect -connect 10.10.10.10:443
The number is meanwhile shown to the customer and the technician asks for this number.

The technician runs tech.exe which gives him the opportunity to fill in a textbox with the ID that the customer told him. This starts:
-quickoption 1 -kill -proxy 10.10.10.10::443 ID:1234

The scIII is perfect for this purpose since it dumps no files to disk and can be ran directly from memory without actually being created on the computer, leaving no trace behind itself. However it's not as compatible with vista/7 etc as the new SCPrompt-versions are.

Is there a way to do this with SCPrompt? I do still want my own executable running the server/viewer, and if possible it would be neat to hide the tray icon, but instead being able to detect when the technician is connected and showing it in my own interface. This gives more of a professional look from it, plus that it can be tailored for certain customers with certain levels of needs/knowledge. If I can avoid extra files/data and instead giving the software all the commands over the commandline it'd be way better.

Excuse me for babbling, but this is a project in the works and I've finished the one using the old scIII but without vista/7 and without being able to control it, I'm pretty much stuck right now.

Anything helpful is appreciated.
kmruss

Re: Controlling the application

Post by kmruss »

pecket wrote:Don't want to bother JDaus when I know how busy he is with his personal life together with this.

My issue is quite simple. I'm currently using the SCIII-executable to connect to an SSL repeater that the support agent connects to. The following events occur:
Don't want to de-rail this thread too much on this - however not much of a choice since it's all in one thread anyway right (?) - but I can immediately think of a couple ways to do this. But let me ask - when you say the client runs 'help.exe' - this is for generation of the random 'session id' - and THEN they run vncviewer.exe right? (as in they're running TWO different programs right now?) Forgive me - as I don't use the SCIII, just the standard UVNC current 1.0.8.2 server - and wondering if that's the main reason you are using it if it allows for session id generation?

I can think of some rudamentary ways to do this with a batch file with some 'find' commands and outputting this to a custom command-line to handle the job and/or via the Auto-IT script - but let me know the above before we go too far and we can go from there.

UPDATE: and actually after re-reading your post, SCprompt supports command-line usage - which I BELEIVE supports id - so if you have a custom created help.exe file (wrapper) running everything, you should be able to then call your custom-made scprompt exe with command-line and put the id at the appropriate spot. Let me know if that guides you in the right direction. And also to answer another part of your question, Scprompt does temporarily install the UVNC service to help get around Win7-Vista UAC issues - however does cleanly remove itself when done (especially using the iExpress building method) - and while this does take just slightly longer for the client to connect back to you (maybe 10+ seconds on average), it's well worth it since it supports Vista-7 - and much more of my new clients (especially any home clients) have Win7 it seems nowadays (versus Vista where most stayed with XP) - so having Vista-7 support is a must.
Last edited by kmruss on 2010-06-01 06:16, edited 2 times in total.
faba

Post by faba »

kmruss wrote:You're welcome - glad you've got it working for you!

What I do to have it disconnect me and remove files is BRING IT UP from bottom (where it's minimized, etc.) and click EXIT on it. Simple I know - and very effective. It threw me for a bit - because when it means auto-reconnect, it MEANS auto-reconnect. But I finally got it to kill out by simply doing this and it seems to work. Just don't close out using the 'X' in the upper-right of your VNC window as we're used to - although if you forget (and of course it does reconnect assuming you left auto-reconnect on which I suggest you do for this case), then just bring it up from bottom and click EXIT then.
I know that clicking on exit in the scprompt systray menu removes the server and it works fine but if you forget it before you click on restart - for example after installing an app - you got a major problem. I am not sure if another vnc session could be initiated during the respawning UltraVNC app.

There is no systray icon after restart to close UltraVNC and it respawns all the time. The only thing that has worked for me was to remove the service from console "sc delete uvnc_service" and restart the system.
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

faba wrote:
kmruss wrote:You're welcome - glad you've got it working for you!

I know that clicking on exit in the scprompt systray menu removes the server and it works fine but if you forget it before you click on restart - for example after installing an app - you got a major problem. I am not sure if another vnc session could be initiated during the respawning UltraVNC app.

There is no systray icon after restart to close UltraVNC and it respawns all the time. The only thing that has worked for me was to remove the service from console "sc delete uvnc_service" and restart the system.
OH WOW - you just made me realize that major bug that I DID run into when an existing Ultravnc Server was installed! It clicked with me what you were saying after you further explained.

What I finally found from troubleshooting on my mother's laptop was that the reason this happens is that the setting is wrote to the Ultravnc.ini FILE itself (in the Ultravnc folder)! It writes a setting like '-connect youripaddress' etc in that file somewhere - just look and you'll see it. I found this because I was wondering what the HECK was going on and why it was doing this - and finally found that's where the setting was (searched the registry and noticed Scprompt wasn't leaving any leftover settings nor auto-reconnects that I could find there which led me to the Ultravnc.ini settings themselves).

I think this ONLY occurs like I thought when you have an EXISTING Ultravnc Server installation - as I've not seen it to my knowledge on other clients (and I've used it on several so far and done multiple reboots).

And like I said, the reason it's causing you SUCH a problem is because that person's Ultravnc server was installed and a password was never set - and Ultravnc will NOT allow a reverse connection without a password set (eh, I dunno why, maybe because of Realvnc's exploit that time on blank passwords) so therefore they are constantly getting that error popping up. As a temporary workaround, if you somehow know that they already have Ultravnc Server installed already, you might set their default password - or I suppose you could even copy the password hash from your own or from the included ultravnc.ini file from scprompt's install, etc.

Anyway, hope this helps - and JD, THAT was the 'largest' bug I found when working on a remote computer that ALREADY had a Ultravnc Server (service) installed.
Last edited by kmruss on 2010-06-01 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
pecket

Post by pecket »

kmruss: Yes, there will be two processes running. But it will be the same filename etc of the process. I simply start my own process again in SUSPENDED_MODE, replace the contents with the vncviewer, and then continue execution. This is just to prevent any need for dumping any files to disk.

I simply want the target computer to show an ID in my own interface, and make my own interface able to control the vnc software, just to prevent the users from shutting it down when it's not ment to happen. Glad that my question created a bit of a discussion that caused a bug to not be forgotten.

I can use ChunkVNC but I'd prefer to have an application that does not dump lots of files on the customers computer. And the solution I have this far is so small and nice. about 300kb for everything and that's sweet.

Regards
B

Post by B »

kmruss, a couple of people have worked on exactly the kind of autogenerating VNC web site you describe -- http://www.robplatt.com/index.php/2010/ ... omment-203

As to ChunkVNC, it just creates files in the %TMP directory as far as I can tell, unless you deploy it as a service. How is this different from SCPrompt? (Does SCPrompt not unpack itself into a temp directory?)
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

B wrote:kmruss, a couple of people have worked on exactly the kind of autogenerating VNC web site you describe -- http://www.robplatt.com/index.php/2010/ ... omment-203

As to ChunkVNC, it just creates files in the %TMP directory as far as I can tell, unless you deploy it as a service. How is this different from SCPrompt? (Does SCPrompt not unpack itself into a temp directory?)
Hey B - I briefly checked out the solution above - and while it looks like a decent solution, not sure having to also support running an Apache webserver just to generate a session ID is what he was looking for (this was for pecket, not myself). For me, that wouldn't be ideal - and pecket admits that Chunkvnc 'does' what he wants for the most part - but likes the looks/functionality of Scprompt and wondered if customizing was possible.

And check my post #264 above where I talk about that SCprompt does just as Chunkvnc and does temporarily install files in the temp folder - but cleanly removes them (this again was the comment/question from pecket). Not sure if you missed my post or had us confused - but no worries. Thanks for the link on the PHPrs - always like to know about other flavors - although in my opinion, Scprompt still functionally looks the best - and I hope to help squash some of these bugs even further to polish it up even more - which is the least I feel I can do to give back.
B

Post by B »

Yeah, sorry, I just re-read the last couple of pages and I'm not sure WHAT I was responding to there. I could have sworn you or somebody was describing an on-the-fly generated VNC packager, but now I don't see it.

:(