Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SCPrompt - SC on Steroids (7, 8, 10, 2k8+) 26/3/20

Single Click discussions / bugs
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Re: SCPrompt - SC on Steroids (2K, XP, Vista, 7, 2008) 13/11

Post by JDaus »

burnsy1882 wrote:... unlike the SC program, this one is not prompting me to accept the connections... Is there a setting that needs to be changed in order to allow the prompting?
yes ... i will update the second post in the forum, to explain all current INI entry settings ... this should help many people get a better understanding of how to customise to their needs ...
arv wrote:1. If I use automatic ... I can't find a way to translate the timer GUI
Not Possible at this stage ... but i will add it to the list of improvements
arv wrote:So what I'd love to see, is either:
- a way to use my own icon for the blinking tray icon,
- or even better, the timer GUI to stay open during connection with an "exit" button (and possibly the connection status)
I have added this to the wish-list ... but at the moment, i am pressed for time, and may not get to it for quite a long time ...
arv wrote:Also, after SCPrompt closes it shows a dialog asking whether all files should be deleted...
This is the older version of the app, try out the newest version, and see if it works better for you ...
arv wrote:And here's my contribution - the Polish translation
Thankyou, and thanks for letting me know what file format to use ... i will add it as a seperate file "Lang_Polish.ini"
arv wrote:I've noticed that if I set UseSC_Prompt=1, then I get the prompt whether I (the listening viewer) want to accept the connection, but then the screen in the viewer is blank (all black).
The problem is that UltraVNC doesn't handle the -sc_prompt commandline properly. instead of showing the display of the active user, it shows the display of the user that started the process. when installed, winvnc.exe is started by system, which doesn't have a display.

the latest version of SCPrompt has a customised version which fixes this issue, but if there is already a service installed, it uses that instead. there is no easy fix for this, other than update the version of ultravnc to the latest beta (which should have this fixed by now).
faba wrote:tried the latest build ... but ... found some bugs.

GUI_TYPE button ... there is no possibility to activate vnc running as a service.
This GUI was submitted by a contributor, and it has other issues that i am trying to work through, when i solve these, i will add the service mode to this GUI ... but be patient please!
faba wrote:Parameters like autoconnect or service mode doesn't seem to be forwarded to Scprompt if the alternative to 7z is used. Using 7z is no option atm since you get asked all the time if the installation has worked fine on Windows Vista and newer.
See below comments
faba wrote:Is there a possibility to remove the files and service if the system gets shutdown or restarted?
Servicemode depends upon a user having administrator priviledges. this gets a bit tricky in vista & windows 7, but the latest version should have solved this, i have started using NSIS (see the batch file in latest release), as this allows for several improvments such as icons on the desktop for if the PC is rebooted (start & remove icons), and hopefully someday an online builder like SC has (but don't hold your breath on this one). NSIS will be integrated into the Builder (packager) soon, as a packaging option ... this should solve most people problems i think ... don't blame me, M$ move the bar constantly, and we just have to try to play catch up ...
faba wrote:And like someone else has asked some time ago it would be great if a confirmation dialog is displayed before initiating file transfers.
The file transfers is a part of UVNC, not scprompt, and therefore out of my control. I just created (some / most) of a GUI frontend which allows improved ways of using and building a SC replacement using UVNC server ...
mojotaker wrote:Personally for me, the instructions on enabling gui 5(auto connect), was not clear.
I have now figured it out and would like to share it, with my own understanding.
Thanks for your help. my time is mostly spent improving & fixing, and not documenting. the way this GUI is activated will change in a coming release, but i need to finish other things first... not telling you whats coming till its ready, that way i don't get people waiting for it.
faba wrote:I don't know if it is a Scprompt or a vnc problem but I can't see the task bar submenu when clicking on a running program.... so what could be the reason and more important how can I circumvent this behavior?
Some windows installs just do this with VNC, i had three windows 2000 servers on a site i maintained in the past, each ran the same hardware, same server version, applications, everything, but 1/3 was a pain with doing what your talking about. the only thing you can do is try installing the drivers (tray icon>tools>drivers), and rebooting... if this fails, just try hitting the refresh button when you cannot see the changes (a pain yes, but its a VNC problem ... ask in the main forums - sorry)
Mr.Reds wrote:The button gui allow to have big button and it 's great for the customers which have tactil pc with no keyboard and mouse (retail).
I've a problem for the uvnc and scprompt coexistance.

What are the correct parameters in scprompt.ini file to allow the connection without stop or remove ultravnc server?
The problem is that the existing UltraVNC service doesn't handle the -sc_prompt commandline properly (the prompt the viewer about the connection). instead of showing the display of the active user, it shows the display of the user that started the process. when installed, winvnc.exe is started by system, which doesn't have a display.

Have you looked at chunkvnc ??? thats better suited for repeater connections i think ??? (been a while since i looked at it)
gumbo wrote:Using a 7-zip exe RYO version, the user downloads the .exe runs it:

i) Non-admin users are asked to enter an administrator username/password to run it. Is there any way that I can enter these details for them get it to run for non-admin users some how? This might be a chicken and egg problem.. I just don't like to give the users the administrator details..
This is a windows 7 issue ... microsoft desided to block all self-extracting-zip archives ... (ie 7zip, winzip etc) from executing unless you have admin priveledges ... this is why i created the NSIS batch script ... take a look at it, and improve it where you can.
gumbo wrote:ii) If I give the user the admin credentials anyway and connect, when finished and exited, UAC stays turned off on the user's PC, even after reboot. Is this expected?
This is definetly not expected ... is this something you have seen on all computers ??? or just one ???
Zyxyx wrote:Just a quick post to see if you are still around and if there will be an update to SCPrompt anytime soon ?
I hope that everything's ok for you and that you'll find some time for your great soft.
Yep, still around, but just massively busy for this time of year (with no end in sight), but I found a half day to myself, and spent it replying to posts on the foum, and catching up on personal emails and such ... hundreds of emails in a few months ... geesh some people send me crap ...

i will try to work through some of the changes that people have asked for ... and go from there, but don't expect an update anytime soon ... just too darned busy with work that pays my bills to spend time on the stuff that doesn't im afraid.
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
B

Post by B »

Great to see you back, JDaus! I hope you find some more time to spare with us.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

TO-DO for next update
  • DONE - Add translation to automatic GUI
    DONE - Add Automatic GUI as an option in GUI_Type within the INI (in addition to the commandline)
    DONE - Add Manual GUI as an option in GUI_Type within the INI (will make settings manager easier to setup manual & automatic GUI's).
    DONE - Added an option to Automatic GUI to disable Beeps on timer count-down ([Common] > GUIAUTOSILENT=1)
    DONE - Add NSIS to Builder (i just made the Batch script into the autoit script ... so now it uses the directory name as the application name)
    DONE - Add new tool menu to allow whiteboard writing on screen
    DONE - Add new tool menu to Start Beacon GUI to call user back to screen.
    DONE - Fix error with Combo GUI and one Predefined Connection + Manual (the Predefined connection would disapear - leaving only manual)
    DONE - Finalise new settings manager (has 4 tabs in it now, to make selections a little easier to understand, and give me room to add more settings as required).
    DONE - Update Settings Manager to use all the latest settings and be easier and better to use (a few of the minor setting left out, but it is enough for the moment)
    DONE - add a "test it" button to settings manager (or press "CTRL + T")
    DONE - add GUI Accelerator shortcut keys for Apply ("CTRL + S") and new test ("CTRL + T")
    DONE - Add Contextual menu to the Main GUI Screens (doesn't work too well on button or automatic GUIs - but otherwise works well)
    DONE - Add Service Mode to Button GUI (untested, and needs refining, but its there)

Add - Safemode starting of VNC server (for reboot into safemode & reconnect ?)
    Change all Languages to use Seperate Language INI files (including English) to allow better selection of Languages and easier Maintenance into the future.
    Fix Buttons GUI when manual button selected doesn't allow selection of inputs for address & port
    Make sure all Translated Languages are in the next release.
    Get all translations updated !!!
    Diagnose why the icon doesn't change on automatic GUI ... (why does it ?)
    Finalise new translator GUI (allows easy selection and addition of lanaguages - which can then be listed for blank translations
B wrote:some more time to spare
Not really sure this will happen ... but i will try :D

If anyone wishes to help out with programming the updates for these things, let me know, and i will setup an SVN or similar for collaboration.

if i have missed any important updates, please PM me with a link to the specific post, so that i may easily find the info, and update this post.
Last edited by JDaus on 2011-03-28 12:59, edited 6 times in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
forumator

Post by forumator »

yay JDaus is back :) Looking forward to updates!
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

Need to hear from translators ... as i have been busy adding new translations to things, but need to get the translations updated to allow people to use them.

I have reworked the Translations functions to possibly allow dynamic changing of languages in the future (not sure its needed, but it now uses the same sort of functions as i use in other apps, so makes it easier for me :D

I Have also created a neat little translation Application that show quickly what hasn't been translated for that language (using english as default at present)

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
gaait

Post by gaait »

Hi all,

I am using scrompt in a daily basis.
I am generating installers dynamicaly from web, using clients telephone numbers as ID for the repeater.

I am studying the source of scrompt, I need to execute this line from command.

REG COPY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uvnc_service HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\uvnc_service /s /f

(maybe wish list? install service in safeboot)

____ SOLVED ___________
Another problem I am encountering is:
The 7zs instalation I am generating installs all in temporary folder, also the service is running from temporary folder.
This is too delicate,the selfextracting executable does a cleanup at restart, also cleaners like ccleaner deletes de uvnc.ini files.

SOLUTION
Using 7zsd to change the install path.
_________ END______

Any ideas.
If I can be of any help.

Thanks
Last edited by gaait on 2011-03-24 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Brink

winvnc already running in service mode?

Post by Brink »

Let me say first that this is a most excellent tool that got considerable use by me to connect to xp machines before Windows 7 came out. I am now very pleased to see that the project is not dead. Many thanks goes to JDaus for creating this, as well as to all who have worked so hard contributing and testing this tool. And now that the project is back under development, I look forward to using it to connect with Vista and window 7 machines as well.

All I could find about this was where there were questions about winvnc.exe is already running on page 2 then JDaus announced that it was fixed in post #49. So if this already covered please forgive me. (and point me to the right post # or thread please)

I'm now using version 0.10.11.44 and I can see that when running Scprompt "not in service mode" that it does find running instances of winvnc.exe and closes them on startup. (so far have tried on under xp)
However if I run Scprompt in service mode I get no complaints from the Scprompt about winvnc.exe already running, but it doesn't close already running process and won't start the ultra_vnc service. Then to a normal user it appears to be working but looking at tcp-ip streams or services list reveals that it is not.

My question is, is there a way to disallow running in service mode. (like default to not service mode or remove checkbox altogether)

Or is there a way to make service mode shut down running instances before starting? (this would be the preferred method since it would allow reboots and still connect without user interaction on the server end)

Or is there a way to rename (through resource hacker maybe) the task name that gets launched to something other than winvnc.exe and something other than utlra_vnc service so that it can co-exist with previous installations of UltraVNC or TightVNC or other VNC variants that use winvnc.exe for a process name? or would that have conficting addresses in memory/hooking conflicts ect? (If we could do this we wouldn't have to get our users to manually relaunch VNC variants that are normally used by in-house IT personnel.)
Brink

And one more thing....

Post by Brink »

Does anyone know of a repeater that will work with this that runs as an appache module rather that a root mode server process?
B

Post by B »

Not sure about the other questions (though they're good ones) but there are multiple versions of the UltraVNC repeater available -- I tried rounding up all of them back at [post=83773][/post]

Since then a new 2.x repeater is being developed by Rudi.

For your purposes, you might want to look at one of the Perl repeaters listed there -- they can be run with a simple hosting account.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Re: winvnc already running in service mode?

Post by JDaus »

gaait wrote:I am studying the source of scrompt, I need to execute this line from command.

REG COPY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uvnc_service HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\uvnc_service /s /f
this should have been added to scprompt already, as it is a great feature. should be easy enough to add after uvnc is installed as a service...
Brink wrote:My question is, is there a way to disallow running in service mode. (like default to not service mode or remove checkbox altogether)

Or is there a way to make service mode shut down running instances before starting?
there is an ini option to disable service mode checkbox from being checked by default, I just can't remember what it is at the moment (don't have scprompt on my phone).

-----<EDIT>-----
[Common]
ServiceMode=0
-----</EDIT>-----

As for the other vnc flavours, I will try to find & stop all known vnc services prior to starting scprompt servicemode, then start anything that was stopped when exiting, I just have to work out how to do this across reboots ...

-----<EDIT>-----
If anyone has the name of other services that should be stopped prior to uvnc startup, please PM me them, so i can make a list (without having to install them all)
-----</EDIT>-----
Last edited by JDaus on 2011-03-26 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
AshConnell

Post by AshConnell »

I like the way NSIS creates a clean setup, but i am puzzled as to how to make it launch with the arguments "-c 0" in order for it to auto-connect to the first defined connection in the settings manager.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Changing Build_exe.ini lines:

"Application=scprompt.exe" to "Application=scprompt.exe -c 0"

and

UseCMDline=0 to UseCMDline=1

Does not do anything...
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

AshConnell wrote:I am puzzled as to how to make it launch with the arguments "-c 0" in order for it to auto-connect

Does anybody know how to do this?
the next release actually uses a setting in scprompt.ini to start automatic GUI (gui_type=Auto), and the builder has been expanded to allow easier & more intuitive setup of options.

I just had my laptop go flat, otherwise it would be available now. give me a few hours, and you will have it...

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
AshConnell

Post by AshConnell »

Thanks, i love this wrapper for SC!
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

JDaus wrote:give me a few hours, and you will have it...
I had some unexpected bugs, that i had to quickly squash ... have fixed it all up now, just have to build, test and makes sure all the translations are in the new formats, and we should be good to go.

sorry for the delay, but i figured a few more days will not hurt after so many months of waiting ... :P

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

Version 1.11.4.47 released
So much has changed in this version that i figured it was about time to make it version #1 ...

http://vnc2me.org/downloads/view-detail ... lease.html

New manual version released (realised this hadn't been updated in a while ... only about 2 years old :P)

http://vnc2me.org/downloads/view-detail ... anual.html

Updates for THIS release
  • Add - All GUI - Disclaimer GUI shows on startup if disclaimer.htm or disclaimer_*language*.htm exists in scprompt dir (examples: disclaimer_english.htm or disclaimer_german.htm)
    Add - All GUI - New tool menu to allow whiteboard writing on screen
    Add - All GUI - New tool menu to Start Beacon GUI to call user back to screen.
    Add - All GUI - Contextual menu to the Main GUI Screens (doesn't work too well on button or automatic GUIs - but otherwise works well)
    Add - Auto GUI - translation are now available for this GUI type
    Add - Auto GUI - Is now an option in GUI_Type within the INI (in addition to the commandline)
    Add - Auto GUI - Option to disable Beeps on timer count-down ([Common] > GUIAUTOSILENT=1)
    Add - Manual GUI - Is now an option in GUI_Type within the INI (will make settings manager easier to setup manual & automatic GUI's).
    Add - Button GUI - Service Mode (untested, and needs refining, but its there)
    Add - Builder - NSIS to Builder (i just made the Batch script into the autoit script ... so now it uses the directory name as the application name)
    Add - Builder - Setting for Pre (Before) & Post (After) when creating the shortcuts in NSIS mode Builder.INI (best i can do at this point)
    Add - Settings Manager - New settings manager (has 4 tabs in it now, to make selections a little easier to understand, and give me room to add more settings as required).
    Add - Settings Manager - a "test it" button (or press "CTRL + T").
    Add - Settings Manager - GUI (Accelerator) shortcut keys for Apply ("CTRL + S") and new test ("CTRL + T")
    UPDATE - Settings Manager - now uses (most of) the latest settings and should be easier and better to use (a few of the minor setting left out, but it is enough for the moment)
    UPDATE - All GUI - Change all Languages to use Seperate Language INI files (including English) to allow better selection of Languages and easier Maintenance into the future.
    UPDATE - All GUI - Translations now all use the LANG_*****.INI files. All OS IDs are now automatic - may add manual override at a later date if required.
    UPDATE - All GUI - Make sure all Translated Languages are in this release
    FIX - Error with Combo GUI and one Predefined Connection + Manual (the Predefined connection would disapear - leaving only manual)
    Removed - All GUI - Dependancy on [Common] > UsePredefined=1 has been removed as it is no longer needed due to setting Manual as a GUI_Type option
TO-DO for NEXT release
  • Add - Translator - New App - allows easy selection and addition of languages - which can then be listed for blank translations
    Add - All GUI - If Admin, shutdown all known other versions of VNC before starting SCPrompt in servicemode, then start them up again on exit (save the services we stopped to a temp .ini to allow for recovery after support finishes, no matter how many reboots later that is)
    Add - Builder - Allow Setting of Company name and more from INI for NSIS package type.
    Add - Settings Manager - Option to setup your own UVNC Password (and read the current one in if possible
    Add - All GUI - translations for TrayTips should allow multiple lines (not limit to one or two (requires \n to be inserted where a newline is required)
    Add - All GUI - Flush DNS before starting VNC connection (allows better support for dynamic IPs (dyndns or noip etc)
    Add - Builder - Optional to run EXE after creation
    Add - All GUI - Include a default disclaimer.htm file to showcase the disclaimer GUI (should have been included in the last release ... woops)

FIX - Auto GUI - Diagnose why the icon doesn't change on automatic GUI ... (why does it ?)
    FIX - Builder - Fix the INI option to allow creation of new files based on custom names (if file exists, ask user to delete or rename)
    DONE - FIX - Builder - The builder doesn't have all variables declared, which under certain circumstances, makes the EXE crash
    UPDATE - All GUI - About Dialog needs to be updated to use custom application name, version, as well as copyright info (new GUI rather than a msgbox)
    UPDATE - All GUI - Update checking should allow user to download application to their desktop
    UPDATE - All GUI - UVNC version to 1.0.9.5+ (requires above in settings manager)
    UPDATE - Buttons GUI - Fix when manual button pressed, the manual address, port & ID inputs cannot be clicked (but can tab to them)
    UPDATE - All GUI - Get all translations updated !!!
    DONE - UPDATE - All GUI - Many functions will be customised to allow sharing between scprompt & VNC2Me SC to allow easier maintenance of both projects (#include "..\_v2m_common_funcs.au3")
    REMOVE - Builder - option to test application before building ... you can now test in the settings manager ... so no need for this anymore (if settings manager app exists)
    REMOVE - All GUI - remove version from tray tooltip, may be confusing for some people

Delayed indefinitely
  • Add - Safemode starting of VNC server - Latest BETA version of server allows for rebooting to safe mode ... so not needed anymore - just replace winvnc.exe with latest BETA...

Check everything please
Please check that all translations and functions work as expected, as the way that INI files are read has changed significantly in this release to clean up the INI reading to make use of INIReadSection and get rid of writing INI file settings in SCPrompt, also, this removed many functions that where created to work with INI files (apart from ultravnc.ini).
Settings Manager does not set all options yet, but the only remaining are "Advanced Options", like the following:
  • GUIAUTOSILENT=0
    Use_Existing_sc_prompt=0
    AppReRunTimer=30
and many more, but they will be added eventually, i just needed to get this out before i changed too much more ... (otherwise it would never get out)
Last edited by JDaus on 2011-04-23 01:13, edited 3 times in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
forumator

Post by forumator »

Very nice, thanks JDaus for continuing updates. I'm looking forward particularly to the next update for this:
Add - All GUI - If Admin, shutdown all known other versions of VNC before starting SCPrompt in servicemode, then start them up again on exit (save the services we stopped to a temp .ini to allow for recovery after support finishes, no matter how many reboots later that is)
:)
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

JDaus wrote:If anyone has the name of other services that should be stopped prior to uvnc startup, please PM me them, so i can make a list (without having to install them all)
forumator wrote:Very nice, thanks JDaus for continuing updates. I'm looking forward particularly to the next update for this:
:)
if you have a list of "service names" (as used in SC.exe for example) that would greatly help ...

I am thinking that the best way may be to add the service names as scprompt.ini entries ... that way i don't have to maintain a list, or add them, others can add them and share them in this thread ...

the only problem with doing that, is that it may get overridden by the settings_manager.exe ... hmmm something for me to ponder ...

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
Iwo

Post by Iwo »

Does this version work under XP correctly? I mean server, not creator.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

Iwo wrote:Does this version work under XP correctly? I mean server, not creator.
I use xp, and don't have an issue with it ... :)

it should work well under all known OS's ... but if you find some, let us all know...

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
gulikoza

Post by gulikoza »

Hi,

I read a lot about SC requiring admin rights, UAC troubles, etc...
I have built the latest scprompt with nsis and the executable itself no longer has a shield. It extracts the files and creates desktop icons, but then scprompt.exe itself wants admin rights. I know service mode probably requires admin rights, but I've disabled that in the ini. Any ideas?

Service mode is probably in the long run the only way to have UAC control, right? (btw: how does teamviewer do it? :) ) Is there a way to preinstall the service without actually have it running (via Group Policy or a silent psexec push install or something like that) and then only have the users running an executable not requiring admin rights and connecting when required?
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

gulikoza wrote:I have built the latest scprompt with nsis and the executable itself no longer has a shield.
Not sure what you mean by this, please explain further if possible
gulikoza wrote:It extracts the files and creates desktop icons, but then scprompt.exe itself wants admin rights. I know service mode probably requires admin rights, but I've disabled that in the ini. Any ideas?
If your logon has admin rights, you will (should) get the UAC popup, if not you will (should) not get it... hope that explains it a bit better.
gulikoza wrote:Service mode is probably in the long run the only way to have UAC control, right? (btw: how does teamviewer do it? :) ) Is there a way to preinstall the service without actually have it running (via Group Policy or a silent psexec push install or something like that) and then only have the users running an executable not requiring admin rights and connecting when required?
I could probably look into making a version of SCPrompt that contains the username and password within the application that has either local admin rights or domain admin rights ... that way there is no preinstallation required ...

but basically there is no way that i know of at present that would allow me to setup a good connection from a server (running as a service) without having admin rights to see where that service is actually installed (c:\program files\ultravnc or d:\program files (x86)\ultravnc etc) or writing to the ultravnc.ini in that location (allows reconnect on reboot and such)

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
gulikoza

Post by gulikoza »

JDaus wrote:Not sure what you mean by this, please explain further if possible
I meant that the icon of the 7zip executable has a small shield added indicating admin rights are needed to run it. The NSIS executable does not have such a small shield so it executes (and extracts the files in the background), but...
JDaus wrote:If your logon has admin rights, you will (should) get the UAC popup, if not you will (should) not get it... hope that explains it a bit better.
I'm testing with my domain login which does not have admin rights (I guess, since I cannot run the 7zip executable). Yet UAC is shown after NSIS extracts the files. I have copied the extracted dir to some other location and tried testing there and I cannot run scprompt.exe (dated 8.4.2011) without getting UAC password request.
JDaus wrote:I could probably look into making a version of SCPrompt that contains the username and password within the application that has either local admin rights or domain admin rights ... that way there is no preinstallation required ...

but basically there is no way that i know of at present that would allow me to setup a good connection from a server (running as a service) without having admin rights to see where that service is actually installed (c:\program files\ultravnc or d:\program files (x86)\ultravnc etc) or writing to the ultravnc.ini in that location (allows reconnect on reboot and such)
My problem is not so much reconnection after reboot (for such tasks I usually use admin RDP connection), but rather be able to support users and install programs remotly. But currently, I'm not even able to produce an application that would not require admin rights (service or not...).
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

gulikoza wrote:I meant that the icon of the 7zip executable has a small shield added indicating admin rights are needed to run it. The NSIS executable does not have such a small shield so it executes
all self extracting zip files require administrator rights in 7 ... that's why I looked at NSIS.
gulikoza wrote:I'm testing with my domain login which does not have admin rights (I guess, since I cannot run the 7zip executable). Yet UAC is shown after NSIS extracts the files. I have copied the extracted dir to some other location and tried testing there and I cannot run scprompt.exe (dated 8.4.2011) without getting UAC password request.
I am not sure why this is, I will test on a domain account as soon as I can, and try to work out why this could be happening ... are you 100% sure the account doesn't have local admin rights ?

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
gulikoza

Post by gulikoza »

JDaus wrote:all self extracting zip files require administrator rights in 7 ... that's why I looked at NSIS.
Yes exactly, I meant to point out that it is not the archive itself requiring elevation (as would be indicated from the small shield on the icon of the archive, and is in the case of 7zip archive) but the executable inside the archive.
JDaus wrote:I am not sure why this is, I will test on a domain account as soon as I can, and try to work out why this could be happening ... are you 100% sure the account doesn't have local admin rights ?
If I type the domain account credentials in the UAC is says "The requested operation requires elevation". If I type local admin credentials, the application opens. As I've said, this is after the desktop icons are created and the UAC prompt says it is trying to execute scprompt.exe.
gulikoza

Re: SCPrompt - SC on Steroids (2K, XP, Vista, 7, 2008) 8/4/1

Post by gulikoza »

Interesting...it seems the problem is that the domain account has the same username as my local admin account. It is however a different account (DOMAIN\username compared to MY-PC\username)... If I login with a totally different domain account then I do not get UAC prompt.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

it seems the problem is that the domain account has the same username as my local admin account
As SCPrompt just checks to see what username your using & if it has local admin rights ... then that well explains it ...

so is nobody having any serious issues with this release ??? or is everyone just having troubles posting on the new PHPBB forum (oliver worked long and hard to get it updated ... so i am hoping its not the later)

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
tigers1904

Post by tigers1904 »

Hi, I new to his forum, but just to ask a question...

Is scprompt all free and if so where can you download it?

cheers
B

Post by B »

The first post in this thread answers your questions, tigers1904.
smythsys

Post by smythsys »

Hi I wonder if someone could help me,
I've been using SCPromt for a while now, it works great, with different speed, on all systems I've tried. I can even use a Linux as a server. However I can connect to any Windows 7 client. The program runs, it starts the call but I don't get anything at the other side.
It works perfectly with Vista and XP and I am doing a direct connection to a fixed Ip address. Aero and UAC seem to be off...what can be the cause?

Thanks
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

smythsys wrote:I can connect to any Windows 7 client. The program runs, it starts the call but I don't get anything at the other side.
Not sure ... i will test it on my win7 machine (now that i finally have one) and see if i can work out what is going on.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au