Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

98 SC server problem

Single Click discussions / bugs
ldsang

98 SC server problem

Post by ldsang »

Hello. I've been having an issue getting single click to work with a Windows 98 machine that I need to get into. First some background:

About a month ago one of my cousins died. He was administering a web site from a Windows 98 machine as he refused to upgrade. Although he finally got an XP machine he worked mostly from 98 due to a program that wasn't compatible with XP. After he passed his sister got his machines and wants to take over administering the site, but she doesn't know how to use this program or how to find files or anything on 98. She was able to get his machine (actually both of them) on the net, but that's about it.

So I figured I'd use single click to get in, but so far it hasn't worked. Before I get into that, here's what has worked. The abbreviations are:

me_XP - my local XP box
me_98 - my local Win98 box
cuz_XP - my cousins' XP box thru the net
cuz_98 - my cousins' 98 box thru the net
cuz_lap - my cousins' sisters' XP laptop thru the net
mom_XP - my moms' XP box thru the net (she lets me use this for testing)

Note that I've been using LogMeIn.com for remoting, but it isn't compatible with Win98, which is why I'm trying SC.

The syntax I'm using is: viewer -> server, where server is the machine where the SC file is double-clicked:

me_XP -> mom_XP: works
mom_XP -> me_XP: works
mom_XP -> me_98: works
me_XP -> cuz_XP: works
cuz_lap -> cuz_XP: works
me_XP -> cuz_98: doesn't work
cuz_XP -> cuz_98: doesn't work

Note that My cousin has the XP and 98 boxes and her laptop connected to her Wireless router, which is connected to the internet. The same SC file that successfully connects cuz_XP to me_XP fails when clicked from cuz_98. I then looked at the local IP address of cuz_XP (since I was remoted in), created another SC file with that IP address (same procedure I used locally to connect me_XP and me_98) and told her to download that to the 98 box and I installed UltraVNC to cuz_XP. She did that and clicked the encryption (the one that works in other cases including the one I was remoted in cuz_XP) and it didn't work. Specifically another SC file that successfully connects cuz_lap to cuz_XP fails when clicked from cuz_98 (all in her local network).

So the only system unable to serve is cuz_98. I thought maybe 98 is too old, but then my 98 box connects to a viewer outside my house successfully. Now when cuz_98 has the SC file double clicked, whichever machine it attempts to connect to has the viewer freeze. Specifically before connection if you right-click on the icon in the system tray a menu shows up. As soon as she attempts to initiate a connection if you right click nothing happens, indicating to me that it is attempting and failing. When she tried to connect locally from cuz_98 to cuz_XP an error came up on cuz_XP that said "Connection failed - Error reading Protocol Version". This tells me that the IP address must be correct, but there is some other problem. I looked through the forums and issues such as the wrong rc key or msrc4plugin.dsm came up, but I'd imagine if those were the issue then none of the other connections would have been successful.

At this point I'm at a loss. There's no firewall running on the 98 box as far as I can tell (I asked her to read the programs in "Program Files" and 98 has no inherent firewall) and anything on the router would prevent connections to the XP machines as well. Any suggestions? I just need a local connection to work since I can get to cuz_XP from here (I'm in another state, so dropping my is out of the question). Any suggestions?

Darryl
YY

Re: 98 SC server problem

Post by YY »

ldsang wrote:When she tried to connect locally from cuz_98 to cuz_XP an error came up on cuz_XP that said "Connection failed - Error reading Protocol Version".
When she tried to connect locally from cuz_98 to cuz_XP an error came up on cuz_XP that said "Connection failed - Error reading Protocol Version".

What is the setting of the SC.exe ? (It is best if you can post the content of helpdesk.txt)
Is it created with RC-23 on line creator?
Does the SC.exe use any DSM-Plugin? If if does, what is the DSM-Plugin version?

At viewer end (i.e. cuz_98),
Is the same DSM-Plugin (if the SC.exe using one) used?
Did she use the same RC4.key as the SC.exe?
Did the viewer run in proper state ? (what I mean is: Is the viewer running with/without the DSM-Plugin? This must be the same as the SC.exe running at the cuz_98).
ldsang

Post by ldsang »

Here's the HOST lines from my helpdesk.txt:

[HOST]
Internet support
-connect 192.168.1.103:5500 -noregistry

[HOST]
Internet support encryption
-plugin -connect 192.168.1.103:5500 -noregistry

Everything else was balloon lines I'm assuming you don't need since they don't affect the connection at all.

As far as the viewer end I put the sc file on my linux server for her to download on cuz_98. She double clicked it and it gave the error I showed above. Then I asked her to download the same file to cuz_lap which she did and when she double clicked it cuz_XP said that the server was requesting a connection, which I could see because another sc file I made to connect cuz_XP to me_XP was working so I was remoted into that box already. My point is I understand checking versions but why would there be a version issue with the file if it works on one box, but not another?

In addition the sc file used to connect me_XP and cuz_XP didn't work from cuz_98 as well, so I'm thinking it isn't a version issue with the rc4 key or DSM plugin. Or maybe it is possible for a file to work for one computer but the same file have a version issue run from another computer?

Darryl
YY

Post by YY »

ldsang wrote:Here's the HOST lines from my helpdesk.txt:

[HOST]
Internet support
-connect 192.168.1.103:5500 -noregistry

[HOST]
Internet support encryption
-plugin -connect 192.168.1.103:5500 -noregistry
The IP used in this setup is local IP only, and only work if your cousin and you are connected at the same LAN. Otherwise (like via internet), WILL NOT WORK.

ldsang wrote:me_XP -> cuz_XP: works
If the SC.exe in this case work, put it on the cuz_98 and try the test again.
I suggest DO USING ENCRYPTION to avoid any incorrect setting.

Also, I suppose the cuz_98 should be able to access internet, but double check if any antivirus/firewall may block the signal. Double check the default network gateway is properly configured, especially if it has more than one NIC.
ldsang

Post by ldsang »

YY wrote:The IP used in this setup is local IP only, and only work if your cousin and you are connected at the same LAN. Otherwise (like via internet), WILL NOT WORK.
Of course. This is the helpdesk.txt in the exe that successfully connected cuz_lap and cuz_XP (both on my cousins' internal LAN) but failed when trying to connect cuz_98 and cuz_XP (on the same LAN).

YY wrote:If the SC.exe in this case work, put it on the cuz_98 and try the test again.
I did this test as outlined in the first post (cuz_XP -> cuz_98: doesn't work) unless you're suggesting a change from what I did before? And every connection I've tried is using encryption, both the ones that connected and the ones that didn't.
YY wrote:Also, I suppose the cuz_98 should be able to access internet, but double check if any antivirus/firewall may block the signal. Double check the default network gateway is properly configured, especially if it has more than one NIC.
It only has one NIC and can definitely access the internet as that's how the file got onto the machine. And as I stated above, I checked for Firewall and antivirus and none was present. Not sure about the default network gateway on 98. Can you be more specific?
YY

Post by YY »

ldsang wrote:
YY wrote:If the SC.exe in this case work, put it on the cuz_98 and try the test again.
I did this test as outlined in the first post (cuz_XP -> cuz_98: doesn't work) unless you're suggesting a change from what I did before? And every connection I've tried is using encryption, both the ones that connected and the ones that didn't.
Looks like I'm not following your description well ..... I think your cousin and you are not the same LAN, right?

So, when you said: me_XP -> cuz_XP: works
I suppose that single click (let me call it SC-a.exe) is using WAN IP

And now you reply: I did this test as outlined in the first post (cuz_XP -> cuz_98: doesn't work) unless you're suggesting a change from what I did before?
I suppose this single click (let me call it SC-b.exe) is using LAN IP, as both pc are your cousin's pc.

I thought the two single click files are two objects with different setting. Therefore, me_XP -> cuz_XP: works is meaningless to the case of cuz_XP -> cuz_98: doesn't work.

If you are now telling me the two single click files are just the same file, or having the exact same connecting setting, then ...... I'm totally lost, and not able to understand the testing objective/direction.

In Short, my suggestion is:

If
 me_XP -> cuz_XP: works, copy this SC.exe to the cuz_98,
and try this connection
 me_XP -> cuz_98
Last edited by YY on 2010-08-16 15:00, edited 2 times in total.
ldsang

Post by ldsang »

YY wrote:Looks like I'm not following your description well ..... I think your cousin and you are not the same LAN, right?

So, when you said: me_XP -> cuz_XP: works
I suppose that single click (let me call it SC-a.exe) is using WAN IP

And now you reply: I did this test as outlined in the first post (cuz_XP -> cuz_98: doesn't work) unless you're suggesting a change from what I did before?
I suppose this single click (let me call it SC-b.exe) is using LAN IP, as both pc are your cousin's pc.
Ah, I wasn't clear. I have multiple SC files. The one I posted was the one that successfully connected cuz_lap and cuz_XP, but failed trying to connect cuz_98 and cuz_XP. I used another file with my full external IP address to connect cuz_XP to me_XP. That helpdesk.txt is the same as the one posted, but with a different IP address.
YY wrote: I thought the two single click files are two objects with different setting. Therefore, me_XP -> cuz_XP: works is meaningless to the case of cuz_XP -> cuz_98: doesn't work.

If you are now telling me the two single click files are just the same file, or having the exact same connecting setting, then ...... I'm totally lost, and not able to understand the testing objective/direction.
No, those are different files. The tests in my cousins' lan used the same file, which worked when run from cuz_lap, but failed when run from cuz_98. My reasoning for posting those results is to rule out issues such as an incorrect rc4 key or DSM plugin as none of those other connections would have worked if that were the issue. Also, when I created these files the only changes to SC files were changing the IP address in helpdesk.txt.
YY wrote: In Short, my suggestion is:

If
 me_XP -> cuz_XP: works, copy this SC.exe to the cuz_98,
and try this connection
 me_XP -> cuz_98
That is actually the reason for this post as that was the first connection I tried (me_XP -> cuz_98). Then I told my cousin to put the file on cuz_XP (me_XP -> cuz_XP) and it worked. This is why I'm at a loss as that works but the 98 box doesn't.
YY

Post by YY »

Thanks for the explanation, so now I see the clear image.

ldsang wrote:The tests in my cousins' lan used the same file, which worked when run from cuz_lap, but failed when run from cuz_98.
I suggest to redo the test based on this result, and I suppose this SC.exe is the one that you posted the helpdesk.txt.
Before proceeding, can you tell which online creator is used to generate this SC.exe?
I will recommend you to create one with RC-23 creator, because I wonder other creator (relative newer) may be generating something not compatible with Win98.

Anyway, here are my suggested test step:

1. Copy this SC.exe from cuz_lap to cuz_98
2. At cuz_XP (based on your posted helpdesk.txt, its IP s/b 192.168.1.103), make sure to have the latest vncviewer.exe (current version 1.0.8.2, download it if necessary), and run this command:
  vncviewer.exe -listen
3. At the cuz_98, run the SC.exe, and double click the FIRST connection (i.e. to use the UNENCRYPTED connection)

see if the cuz_XP can pick up the connection from cuz_98.
(Note: in case the viewer popup a message of the incoming connection is not encrypted, you should click "Continue")

Good Luck.