Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SC starts then closes... Possible bug or stupid user???

Single Click discussions / bugs
Rob

SC starts then closes... Possible bug or stupid user???

Post by Rob »

I really dont' know what to do with this one...

I'm trying to get the SC to work for me...

I have tried it using the viewer for 19.4 and 19.7_4...

Here's what happens...

I configured the file to point to my computer through the specified port. When I give the file to the user, they double click on the SC file, then double click on the link that should connect to my computer.

The VNC icon shows in the users taskbar, starting yellow, then turns green, then after about a second, turns yellow again, then just goes away.

I can see that somewhere the program is crashing, but I'm not sure where, nor why.

I have done this on multiple computers, granted they are all similar computers and they are running off of the same type of setup, but I just for the life of me can't figure out what is happening...

Anyone else out there experiencing this?

Please let me know if I'm dealing with a bug, or if I"m just a complete freakin moron... I really am stumped with this one...

Thanks for your time...

Rob.
Ipsec
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Ipsec »

I havent had this happen since I have succesfully connected...

The app usually always runs just fine..

Can you use a laptop and a dialup connection (or maybe a "Hot spot") to test?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would love to, but I can't get SC to run long enough on the host box for me to try it.

It starts and then closes within probably 2-3 seconds...

Post by Guest »

For me it will run for about 2 minutes and then the connection closes. The behaviour seems to be dependant on the type of connection. In my case:
m1 - WinXp on my home net
m2 - Win98 on my home net
m3 - WinXp on my brothers home net

1) m1 viewing m2 using internal ip address (192....) things work okay.

2) m1 viewing m2 using external ip address through my broadband router consistently drops the session after about 2 minutes.

3) m1 viewing m3 using external ip address through broadband router drops the connection after several minutes.

A router problem?

(Using view RC194 viewer and servers created today)

Ken
Ipsec
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Ipsec »

the app is supposed to, by default stay running for 5 mins.

um

if you want - I can try to help you.. you can even download my program I compiled and am using and it works fine with 5 different people behind firewalls and everything.. I really enjoy it for helping people now :-)

and I could be your Stupi... i mean test user :-p

yaho - hadji_000
skype - faith_plus_1

Post by Guest »

I thought the 5 minute limit was on how long it would try to establish a connection.

Is there a way I can set it to run until either end closes it?

Ken

Post by Guest »

I have tried it with the regular ultra vnc and it suffers from the same problem so it is not a SC problem.

Ken
Ipsec
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Ipsec »

Anonymous wrote:I thought the 5 minute limit was on how long it would try to establish a connection.

Is there a way I can set it to run until either end closes it?

Ken
I think this was a built in feature that is a good idea.. so it doesnt keep trying to get out... Devs? Answers on this one?
Anonymous wrote: I have tried it with the regular ultra vnc and it suffers from the same problem so it is not a SC problem.

Ken
I dont think this is a VNC issue.. maybe more of a inet / router issue???
Last edited by Ipsec on 2005-03-07 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Doh, seems the window closing is either a inactivity timeout issue or a version mismatch issue.

I did find that using RC18 held a stable connection but the file transfer wouldn't work. RC19 would randomly quit but file transfer worked. RC20 (vncviewer about box shows RC19 dated Mar 6) works okay and file transfer works okay so far.

Ken

Post by Guest »

Sigh, spoke too soon.

All versions seem to have the random close problem.

Ken
Rob

<enter whitty comment here>

Post by Rob »

I forgot that I posted this here... ;p

Sorry about not responding for a while...

I will be actually trying to make another SC today, if I recall properly it's built on the current "release".

So I'm thinking it will be under RC20.

Newho - I'll see if it makes any difference.

In regards to the router problem, I dunno if that's it as I'm doing this all on an internal network.

Ie: Host 192.168.1.1 Remote 192.168.1.2

And it wouldn't work on those, they weren't ever crossing a firewall, all done on the internal LAN...

But I have been wrong before, so who knows... ;p
Ipsec
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Ipsec »

As long as you set up the SC to not traverse an inet address moreover your internal address. e.g. connect 192.168.1.1 rather than www.yourdomain.com then you should be okay.

As far as why the app actually closes it doesnt make any sense to me.

Are you saying the app on the network closes on the server computer or are you saying that it closes on your computer? If its yours ensure your firewall allows the port specified in the connect to work otherwise it may be a cause of issues.
Rob

works now...

Post by Rob »

Yeah, I rebuilt it just now and now it's working just fine.

In regards to the networking aspect of it, that stuff I completely understand.

I just didn't get why the program would start and then stop on it's own, and I'm not referring to the five minutes either...

Newho - thank you all for your time and patience. It appears I just needed to do a rebuild... ;p
Rob

alrighty

Post by Rob »

Well I finally registered, so I'm typing this to test if this will be my "first official" post... ;p
Ignorance is Bliss...
Ipsec
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Ipsec »

it worked,

and glad to hear your SC works too.

I got SC to work in a lan environment in a snap... As long as our DNS has no issues im using the workstation names even nebios could help with that if it becomes an issue.

Lastly, It took me forever to figure out what was up with my router for inet and SC to work.. I guess if you disable any port on my router the subsequent following ports in that order will also fail..

Which was concerning because I could see the port open but it wouldnt connect.. banged my head for a while on that one haha.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah, it's nice that it's working...

I just wish I knew what caused it. But it works, and that's what's important.

;p

made one for work and one for home, so it should be kinda neat seeing how it works...
Ignorance is Bliss...
Rob

Post by Rob »

double post
Last edited by Rob on 2005-03-11 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance is Bliss...