Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UVNC Single Click Windows 7 Bad Blood with SCHook.dll

Single Click discussions / bugs
smgerber

UVNC Single Click Windows 7 Bad Blood with SCHook.dll

Post by smgerber »

I'm trying to implement a single click server on a Win7 Home Premium machine. I've used SC for years XP Viewer to XP server.

The nub of the problem after considerable research is that many WIN7 applications will not work with the SC file which includes the SCHook.dll driver. That's my experience also. Examples of programs that fail for me are Firefox 9, Spybot 1.6 and the WIN7 Windows DVD Maker.

The symptom of the failure is the viewer does not receive any screens while the offending program is active. After the program is ended, capture once again proceeds.

I cannot understand why the solution of removing the checkbox for "system hookdll" after right-clicking the tray icon has never been fixed. Unless I'm missing a point here, it seems like this DLL is flawed for Windows 7 and should be replaced with something like vnchooks.dll or a mirror driver.

Unless there are only a handful of people that have this issue, can someone explain why an elite and totally unique and heavily used program like UVNC SC is being so neglected? Doesn't make sense.

A fellow named Matt Lucas created a similar single click file based on UVCN code and procedures and it works. He uses vnchooks.dll.

Please, what am I missing?

Thanks very much ... Sam
B

Re: UVNC Single Click Windows 7 Bad Blood with SCHook.dll

Post by B »

The Mozillas seem to have unique issues (they often bond to the video card driver for some reason) but in general it helps to set "capture alpha blending" on the server side. Have you tried that?
smgerber

Post by smgerber »

I can't set any features since the SC runcode is pre-generated by UVCN. Sure I can tweak the full UVCN package using its "edit settings". I can also select a different driver. BUT, how do you propose I change the capture alpha blending in SC? I'd sure like to try.

BTW, it's not just the Mozillas that are causing trouble in WIN7. I've experienced the same issue with Spybot S&D and also Microsoft's Windows DVD Maker. There are most likely others as well.

Can you comment further ... Sam
B

Post by B »

I should know the answer (since others have addressed it) but sorry, I don't. I would try editing the ultravnc.ini file that gets embedded in the SC executable (that's where the capture alpha blending setting is),or just use SCPrompt or ChunkVNC instead.
smgerber

Post by smgerber »

It can't work to change the .INI file, Super-Mod. That's not a file I can upload in helpdesk.txt so how can I impart that information, assuming the single click generator even uses it?

As for chunkvnc and other variations, I don't know them. You know, I'm aware that open source means a best effort basis and the people who contribute their time are really good samaritans. But all that having been said, it's disturbing to me that they would turn their backs on the SC program, especially when they've received feedback from many users telling them that the system hookDll muse be disabled. Where did these people go?
B

Post by B »

I think it's still a file inside the executable that the SC generator returns to you, as I said above. Try 7-Zip or another viewer to extract it. This would break the code-signing though. I'm pretty sure someone else proposed a better workaround but I don't have time to find it now. (You can search the forum. Edit: I just did but still can't find a solution.) Limitations with UltraVNC SC are the reasons that other people developed alternatives like SCPrompt and ChunkVNC.

I don't know that anyone "turned their backs" on SC but it's true that, unfortunately, there's really only one active developer, Rudi De Vos. I don't know what more I can say about it. (I'm not a programmer.)
smgerber

Post by smgerber »

Thanks for responding, Super Mod.

I'll probably try 7-Zip to look at the executable because I'm quite curious to see if it's there. However, if it is, the creator must use the one it's already got, rather than accepting a substitute from my uploaded "custom.zip".

The pity of all this is that since the SC code does work with WIN7 but requires user intervention to uncheck "system hookdll", it's got to be almost a no-brainer for Rudi or someone else to default the SC code to "unchecked".

People are still getting involved with the SC code, thinking it's ready for their consumption. As more and more Win7 machines are sold, it only gets worse. If I were Rudi, I'd either fix the darn thing or remove it from the UltraVNC web site.

Thanks for your interest; glad someone cares.

Best ... Sam
B

Post by B »

Also, take a look at the SC subforum here. I'm moving this thread there.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

What's the SC version being used ?

The problem is that when you change something other people gonna ask to put it back.
Without the hook, you need to poll the full screen, using a lot of cpu depending on the video card and OS.

If you extract the sfx and
-remove schook.dll, is the problem solved ?
-remove vnchook.dll, is the problem solved ?

When i understand correct the problem is ?
1) connect via SC
2) open firefox ( v 9.1 or 10.0)
3) viewer doesn't update anything unril you close firefox
smgerber

Post by smgerber »

When i understand correct the problem is ?
1) connect via SC
2) open firefox ( v 9.1 or 10.0)
3) viewer doesn't update anything unril you close firefox
Thanks for your response, Rudi. People were complaining abundantly about Firefox but I've encountered the same issue in Windows 7 with Spybot 1.6 and also MSoft's Windows DVD Maker. There probably are many others.

I'm not sure you were asking the question, but the symptom of all these problems is that viewer seems to freeze. I didn't realize it until I spent some time testing that it was "temporarily frozen" and would miraculously thaw out when the offending program ended.

Thanks for the SFX tip. I've never used a program that deals with that but I will now. I'm very curious to see if that works.

Appreciate your taking the time to write to me here, Rudi.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Internal schook engine changed.
I don't think this issue is limited to SC, but that all versions of uvnc have the same issue's.
Possible the viewer doesn't lock, but it could have nasty effects on other apps.

The messages are now handled in a seperate thread, to prevent ùessage pump lockup, it even seems a little faster.

Updates:
https://uvnc.eu/download/SCHook.zip

X86 and x64 version
(UltraVNC full X64 use the schook64.dll)

Before i update some installers on online creators please check with this dll
(sc, full, posisble chunkvnc that also can use this dll have the same issue)
smgerber

Post by smgerber »

Rudi, I don't know what to do with the 2 dlls you just provided. Can you be explicit about what I or anyone should do with these?

Also, I haven't noticed the viewer "freezes" in Full VNC or in ChunVNC, only UVCN SC.

-- Sam
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

It's just a copy replace..some fast test before updating the online creator.
Update online creator (v2011) , if it doesn't work people start complaining i guess.