our problem: SC3 consists of the repeater (we call it proxy), server (we call it customer part) and viewer (we call it technician part). and every part runs on a different machine. proxy and technician part are no problem at all since we can fix/change the environment (machines and firewall) they are running on. the real problem is that we can not play around with our customers. our environment can be changed but not the customers one. in short: we have to stick with the IT environment they have!
what we need: a check list or better said a 'precondition list' so we exactly know what preconditions have to be met on the customer side (the machine the server is running on). that way we can easily tell if a remote administration session is possible at all.
list of preconditions on customer side:
- the https port (443) has to be open for outgoing and related connections.
otherwise: connection fails.
- no other program should have the https port in use.
otherwise: program terminates immediately.
- any other vnc server instance should be closed.
my personal questions/thoughts on the list:
- is the following statement true: 'if you can reach ssl-sites on the internet then port 443 is open!'?
- are there any other ports that one should take care of besides 443?
- is it a listening vnc server (let's say on port 5900) or a running vnc server session which is responsible for possible problems?
please help me! the list is far from completion, and i think it wouldn't only be helpful to me!
any comments, let it be negative or positive are truly welcome...
thanks in advance,
ps: i will edit this post as soon as someone give me more hints. so that this list will represent all the related comments in this thread...