Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

New to Forum, old to SC but now confused

nanook

New to Forum, old to SC but now confused

Post by nanook »

First off, I've been using Single Click for a few years and it has saved me lots of time (and travel money) helping my friends and family. Thanks for that. But now, as more of them have newer OS (Vista and Win7) I've had to step up for that and the forum has gotten SO involved that I can no longer follow a thread. All I'd like to do is build a newer version that works with the newer OS's.
The instructions that begin with downloading the custom.zip don't say it'll work with Win7, and the online compilers are also unclear to me.
The other bit of instruction that I'm not able to get to work is, since all requests for help come only to me, I'd like to use the [DIRECT] feature, but those instructions are either incorrect or just unclear.
So, can someone push me in the right direction? Seems that some threads show winvnc.exe being included in the process and others don't. Some show including the security plugin and the key, while others just show the key being included. Baffling.
Thanks (in advance).
B

Re: New to Forum, old to SC but now confused

Post by B »

I really don't know much about UltraVNC SC per se, though I understand it's been updated recently. I haven't had great luck with it in the past.

Like some others, I tend to use some offshoot "SC"-like projects that rely on the full (and sometimes more up to date) UltraVNC as a base. The two main ones are SCPrompt and ChunkVNC, both of which are hosted in part here.

If you don't want or need a repeater, you should probably look at SCPrompt first.

However, that said, I do think regular UltraVNC SC should be working with Win7 these days?

(oh and please don't double-post; there's an approval queue for new users due to spam concerns)
nanook

Post by nanook »

I double posted? Only intended the one. Sorry if I did.
I'm certain that UVNC SC is working with Win7, have managed to get it to do so, but the process of building a copy, and updating it and modifying it has gotten messy/confusing. The idea of using the single [HOST] (me) and having it connect automatically with the [DIRECT] feature is a good example of the documentation being lacking.
Does the exe get included during compiling or no I need to include one? Do I include the key AND the plug in or is that unnecessary? Like I said, I've used it for a long time and only recently had it fail, and don't know why. Maybe the modifications I made to the logo or icons, or not including the required files or a mismatch in the security key or viewer version.
Thanks for your reply.
B

Post by B »

I don't know why you say that -- the [DIRECT] option is fairly well documented at http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/sc/helpdesk.html
[DIRECT]
Balloon1 = While trying to connect
Balloon2 = During connection

If you add [DIRECT] and only have 1 [HOST] defined, the menu is not shown
and the connection is direct started. (can be useful for scripting)
[DIRECT] doesn't have a parameter line
Yes, you have to include the key

http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/sc/creator.html
UltraVncSC update 2009

+Vista+WIN7 support.
+use the MSRC4Plugin.dsm" security plugin
+The zip you upload can contain following files, other are ignored
rc4.key
helpdesk.txt
icon1.ico
icon2.ico
logo.bmp
background.bmp
enter.bmp
UAC: sc is running as user, this does NOT allow UAC access.
-UAC windows are view only. (you now stay connected in view only mode)
-When the UAC window ( not the popup, the one that has the elevated permission) is closed or minized, you get back full access.
Update 27/08/2009, the user is only asked once to give UAC permission ( add [DIS_AUC] )
helpdesk.txt
[DIS_UAC]
If this is proving troublesome for you, give SCPrompt or ChunkVNC a try; they're not reliant on an external SC Creator site.
nanook

Post by nanook »

I say that because I thought it was simple enough but when I've tried it I still get the choices menu presented to the client. All I've done is limit the [HOST] to a single entry, my IP info and everything as it had worked before, and with [DIRECT] at the end of the helpfile.txt (and no entries in it). The behavior I was expecting was for the person to simply launch the exe I give them and have the thing work.
I'll keep experimenting with it. I've loved it in the past and it has always worked flawlessly, but now providing service on newer than XP machines, I have to step up.
Thanks for your help. Maybe I'm just making it too complicated with custom logo.bmp and icons.
UPDATE: Just tried it again, to test the [DIRECT] feature line. Still stops at the menu. This is the kind of thing that I was getting at with the confusion comment. Does anyone else see it in this statement?
[DIRECT]

and the connection is direct started. (can be useful for scripting)

The example they give shows two parameter lines, if I'm not mistaken, of Balloon1 and Balloon2. The last sentence says it "doesn't have a parameter line".
Also, have tried removing the second [HOST] completely, no love there either.
I have not been able to get another computer user to test this latest exe yet, but still would like it to work with less input from them, thus the DIRECT.
YY

Post by YY »

Here are what I know:

1. The [DIRECT], in fact doesn't have any parameter.
  With [DIRECT], if only having one remote host defined in the helpdesk.txt, the SC.exe will make the connection immediately once it is excuted.

However, [DIRECT] is available on Rel.1.0 or later. If the SC.exe is complied with RC23, this setting will not be function.

2. Balloon1 = While trying to connect

These are totally not related to the [DIRECT] option. It is talking about the meaning of [BALLOON1A] ... [BALLOON2A] ....

Putting it under [DIRECT] does make confusion to the reader ....

3. If you want to create the SC.exe running on Vista/Win7, you should use the UltraVncSC update 2009 complier, which introduce a new option of [DIS_UAC]. Although not able to disable the UAC automatically, but the user is only asked once to give UAC permission.

4. Some users reported to obtain the huge speed boost, if diable the Aero as well.
nanook

Post by nanook »

Thanks so much for your reply. I have been using the 2009 compiler and still get no automatic connection by the client side. Does the helpdesk.txt need further modifications, like removing the second (empty) [HOST] entry or moving the [DIRECT] higher in the file? If need be I'd post a copy of mine here for troubleshooting.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the statement that it connects automatically after being executed. I'm picturing the client double clicking my "help request.exe" file and not seeing the logo screen at all, just the balloons telling them the progress. Am I wrong?
Thanks again.
YY

Post by YY »

nanook wrote:Does the helpdesk.txt need further modifications, like removing the second (empty) [HOST] entry
Yes, other than the one that have the host defined, erase all other [HOST] statement (Important: the [HOST] must be erased)

If the word [HOST] exist more than one time inside the helpdesk.txt , the SC will consider there are multi hosts defined, then it will always popup the GUI and wait for the user's choice.

The location of [DIRECT] will not affect the operation.

I did a test with a SC.exe created with complier 2009.
It works, but the GUI still appear, and after about 1 second it then make the connection automatically.
nanook

Post by nanook »

OK, I'll give that a try. This is exactly what I meant when in the first post I said "those instructions are either incorrect or just unclear". If you download the custom.zip and start to build your SC, you have little instruction on what actually needs to be there. Wouldn't it make more sense that there would only be the one [HOST] entry, unless a person wants the client to have a choice? Couldn't that default helpdesk.txt state in those two entries that you could use one (the second HOST or the other DIRECT)? Can a line be REM out?
Also the example showing no parameters but the balloon1 and balloon2 entries.
Thanks for the clarifications.
YY

Post by YY »

Yes ... the information is not well arranged, and something is incorrect ....

In explanation of Syntax of Helpdesk.txt
[DIRECT]

and the connection is direct started
. (can be useful for scripting)

In my test, under this setting the menu is still displayed, but after about 1 second the connection is started automatically, and the menu is closed too.
nanook

Post by nanook »

So these two lines need to be left under [DIRECT] ?
YY

Post by YY »

These two line are TOTALLY not related to the function of [DIRECT]

They are even NOT a part, NOR an option of the helpdesk.txt
They should not be existed inside the helpdesk.txt

They are just the EXPLANATION of the meaning of
[BALLOON1A] [BALLOON1B] [BALLOON1C] [BALLOON2A] [BALLOON2B] [BALLOON2C]

(i.e. those options before the [DIRECT]),
Unfortunately, the web site put it after [DIRECT], thus mislead you to think it is the option of [DIRECT]. No, they are not related to [DIRECT]

It is an explanation of the balloon tips, and balloon tip is the message displayed at the Systray icon during the SC.exe is running.
nanook

Post by nanook »

OK, then now the [DIRECT] is working as described, logo shows for about a second then it tries to connect. Now I just have to get one of my needy friends/family members with Vista or Win7 to give it a try. I'm confident (again) that it'll work fine. Thanks all of you who responded.