Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Where can I find IP

mosh1

Where can I find IP

Post by mosh1 »

Hi! I am trying to connect remotely to XP computers. What do I need to know? Yes I tryed reading FAQ's etc. but cannot understand most of the material. A am unfamiliar with terms :-?
mosh1

Re: Where can I find IP

Post by mosh1 »

Can anybody please answer ? I installed server on remote machine and I am getting :

Failed to connect to server

Please ask me for any additional info
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

Let's start with the basics...

What flavor (TightVNC, UltraVNC, RealVNC, etc.) and version (UltraVNC 1.9.6.1, UltraVNC 1.9.1.1, TightVNC 2.7.10, etc) of VNC are you using on the server side (the computer you want to "see" remotely)?
What flavor and version of VNC are you using on the remote side (where you run the vncviewer.exe executable)?

What Operating System is the server computer running (it sounds like Windows XP)?
What Operating System is the viewer computer running?

You need to know the Host Name (Computer name that is resolvable - i.e. you can successfully resolve the name to an IP address when you ping the name in a command prompt) or IP address of the remote computer, TCP port 5900 must be allowed through any routers/firewalls, and the firewall on the server computer must allow TCP 5900 through.

From here you must address authorization to connect either via a simple password or Active Directory authentication. I believe no password can be allowed, but I've never used that specific configuration before as it's typically a bad security setup.

Let us know the pertinent details I asked for and how far into the process you are of getting everything setup, and we'll go from there.
-Ben
mosh1

Post by mosh1 »

Bonji wrote:Let's start with the basics...

What flavor (TightVNC, UltraVNC, RealVNC, etc.) and version (UltraVNC 1.9.6.1, UltraVNC 1.9.1.1, TightVNC 2.7.10, etc) of VNC are you using on the server side (the computer you want to "see" remotely)?
What flavor and version of VNC are you using on the remote side (where you run the vncviewer.exe executable)?
UltraVNC 1.1.9.1 on both sides
What Operating System is the server computer running (it sounds like Windows XP)?
What Operating System is the viewer computer running?
Windows XP on both
You need to know the Host Name (Computer name that is resolvable - i.e. you can successfully resolve the name to an IP address when you ping the name in a command prompt) or IP address of the remote computer, TCP port 5900 must be allowed through any routers/firewalls, and the firewall on the server computer must allow TCP 5900 through.
1) That's was one of the questions (in fact this is the Subject!) where can I get IP and/or Host name. So answer that "I need to know them" doesn't help much...

2) How can I check if port 5900 is open? If its closed - how to get to router and firewalls?
From here you must address authorization to connect either via a simple password or Active Directory authentication. I believe no password can be allowed, but I've never used that specific configuration before as it's typically a bad security setup.
Can you please explain about not using password?
Let us know the pertinent details I asked for and how far into the process you are of getting everything setup, and we'll go from there.

Thanks!
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

1) That's was one of the questions (in fact this is the Subject!) where can I get IP and/or Host name. So answer that "I need to know them" doesn't help much...
Ultimately, only you will know this information. If the two devices are on a private network together, then you can usually run ipconfig in a command prompt to determine the IP address of the server. This is what you will connect to in the viewer. If you are connecting to the server via the internet, then you must know the public IP address of the server computer.

To help clear the muddy waters here some, can you detail if the server and viewer computers are on the same private network together? Are you trying to connect to the server over the internet?
2) How can I check if port 5900 is open? If its closed - how to get to router and firewalls?
If both devices are on the same network without a firewall in between, then you just either need to make sure the Windows XP firewall is turned off (not recommended) or there is a rule allowing incoming access over TCP port 5900. If you do not know how to do that, you can search on Google for lots of specific tutorials.

If the server is behind a firewall that's connected to the internet, then you have to be able to setup port forwarding on the firewall's public interface to the private IP address of the server on TCP port 5900. Again, you may need to reference Google for instructions on how to do this. Also, these instructions will vary for the type of firewall involved, so make sure to include the firewall model as part of the search criteria.
Can you please explain about not using password?
I HIGHLY recommend using a password. Even better, enable encryption by using the SecureVNCPlugin. However, for initial setup I would just use a simple password. At this point in time, you are not even getting to the password prompt so we can cross that bridge when you get there.
-Ben
mosh1

Post by mosh1 »

Bonji wrote: To help clear the muddy waters here some, can you detail if the server and viewer computers are on the same private network together? Are you trying to connect to the server over the internet?
I am trying to connect over the internet.
Bonji wrote: If the server is behind a firewall that's connected to the internet, then you have to be able to setup port forwarding on the firewall's public interface to the private IP address of the server on TCP port 5900. Again, you may need to reference Google for instructions on how to do this. Also, these instructions will vary for the type of firewall involved, so make sure to include the firewall model as part of the search criteria.
I usually cannot use these instructions because I cannot understand most of the language... Thats why I asking in here in "Beginners questions". Server is connected to Internet thats what I know.
mosh1

Post by mosh1 »

Any help, please?
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

It will require extraordinary effort for us to get your router setup properly as we do not know what your router is or how to set it up specifically. If you can find a YouTube tutorial for your router, they are usually very concise and you can follow along as the author goes through all the steps.

The server being connected to the internet is not enough as the router is protecting your server from the internet by blocking [almost] all incoming connections. This is where port forwarding comes in. The router knows that all requests to TCP port 5900 should be re-routed to the private (internal) IP address of 192.168.0.100 (for example) on TCP port 5900. Usually you set this up in a router under a Port Forwarding section and then map a port number to a private IP address.

Once this step is complete, then you can try actually connecting to the VNC Server remotely.

Even if you're not sure what you're doing, go ahead and log into the router and try to see if you can find the port forwarding section. Things will make a lot more sense once you can match what I'm saying to the management console on the router.
-Ben
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

OK, I'm in a generous mood and willing to provide a fish for today (or maybe tomorrow). Detail the make and model of the router in question, and I'll look up its instruction manual so I can provide you detailed instructions on how to setup port forwarding on it.
-Ben
mosh1

Post by mosh1 »

Bonji wrote:OK, I'm in a generous mood and willing to provide a fish for today (or maybe tomorrow). Detail the make and model of the router in question, and I'll look up its instruction manual so I can provide you detailed instructions on how to setup port forwarding on it.
Do I need to set port forwarding on both sides? Because my router doesnt have access! This is the answer from my ISP :
There is no interface to change settings on our Motorola Modem as there are no settings to change. If you have a questions about a port The only ports we block are 25, 80, 8080, 135, 137, 138, 139, 445, 3128, 1080 and 1043
I'll ask what is the router model on the Server side.
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

The router would be on your premises unless you are not using one in which case your computer would be plugging directly into the modem. Also, that's as vulnerable a setup as you can have as your computer is 100% exposed to the internet directly.

Port forwarding only needs to be setup on the device that would be blocking access to the desired server. This would be the firewall (if it exists) that is closest to the server computer.
-Ben