Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Big problems with ultravnc Mirror Hook Driver!

DoktorGerbils

Big problems with ultravnc Mirror Hook Driver!

Post by DoktorGerbils »

I already sent this message to Rudi, but I really need any help I can get!

I have a seemingly huge problem. When I install the UltraVNC-100-RC16-intel-Setup and then the UltraVNC-100-RC16-driver, my radeon drivers get messed up. When I unistall the ultravnc program and drivers, I still can't re-install the Radeon Catalyst drivers (I downloaded the newest, and also tried an older version that I had used before). I get the following message:

|------------------------------------------------|
| Setup was unable to complete the installation. |
| Try to setup your display adapter with a |
| standard vga driver before running setup. |
|------------------------------------------------|

I tried all methods of completely wiping the video drivers (all video drivers) out of the device manager.

I tried booting to safe mode and re-installing the catalyst drivers there, but I still got an error. I also tried using the ATI unistall utility, but that didn't seem to help either. I don't know a whole lot about the interworkings of this sort of thing, so I was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

Oh yes, and I had a friend install the same UltraVNC software (he has an ATI Radeon 9600, and I have a Radeon 9500 Pro), and he has the exact same problem as me (I had him do this before I had experienced this stuff).

We both run XP.

Help will be greatly appreciated!

thx,

Dean
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Don't have that card.....to test
Could be that the cathalist drivers don't support mirroring.
But then there also would some problems with Fast user switching....

Did you remove the ultradriver with the uninstaller or via the
device manager.
In second case, vnccom.sys in /system32/drivers is not correct
removed from the system. Remove it manual...

In save mode, never install a driver, just does not work correct.

1) Go to save mode
2) Select vga driver,set some resolution
3) Restart in normal mode
4) Normal mode, should now start in VGA
5) Install ati driver...
DoktorGerbils

Post by DoktorGerbils »

When I boot into safe mode, I try deleting all display adapter drivers (I can do this in the device manager).

Then I update the driver on the display adapter (that has no driver associated), and it only gives me the default ATI driver options. There are just a bunch of different ATI Rage cards--I cannot find a vanilla VGA driver.

So I just specify the .inf file in the latest Catalyst (for Radeon) driver that I downloaded, and it looks like it's installing, but I get this error after it is finished:

|----------------------------------------------------
|An error occurred during the installation of the device
|The system cannot find the file specified
|----------------------------------------------------

I have also tried going into safe mode and just completely deleting all the display adapter entries and then rebooting and re-installing the Radeon drivers. When I do this, I get the exact same error as above.

Any other suggestions that I might try?

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

Post by Guest »

Oh, and I had disabled Norton auto-protect on startup, I have read that this can mess stuff up--but it didn't seem to help?

I didn't kill norton completely, so maybe I will try that...
Charles

Okay for me!

Post by Charles »

Just my 2 cents: I've had no problems on machines running XP with a Radeon 7500 or Radeon 9800 video cards. Other than that, I'm not much help! :|
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

"When I boot into safe mode, I try deleting all display adapter drivers (I can do this in the device manager). "

Use display manager to select VGA, never remove drivers in
save mode, it does not work.

Reboot and install new driver (ATI setup)
RobH
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by RobH »

Shouldn't all this be in the bug section?

Post by Guest »

I assume you mean device manager when you said "display manager" (just making sure we are talking about the same thing).

So when I boot into safe mode and go to device manager and I click on "update driver" on the display adapter section and say "pick a driver yourself." I go to the display adapter section, and it only shows ATI drivers. There are no options for "VGA".

Are we talking about the same place in windows? I can post a screen capture if you need!

Sorry if this should be in bug report section--I just saw the word 'help' and posted here :)
Leonard

System Restore

Post by Leonard »

Did you try XP's System Restore to take you back to the original configuration prior to the installation of UltraVNC?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Nop,

You need to use display manager....not the device manager !

In save mode your PC start in VGA mode, when you go to the display manager and save new vga settings, just change the resolution in something else (sample 640x480-->800x600). This force the PC in VGA mode when you restart in normal mode.

After reboot, you will find that your PC in normal mode, still is
using the vga display driver.
You need to execute the ati setup, by doubble click .
Or in some rare cases, you need to execute it from add new software (controle panel).
XP, special when Fast user switching is enabled, sometimes just crash when you don't execute the setup via the add new software.

Hopes this help.
DoktorGerbils

Post by DoktorGerbils »

Well, I did exactly what you said, and still get the same errors when I boot back into normal mode and use "add programs" to install the drivers.

The strange thing is that if I enable the device in the device manager, I think I am using the new driver (even though there is an error message). I can still play 3-d games at high resolution as long as I enable the device (it has a yellow exclamation instead of a red x in the device manager).

But it still reverts to super-low resolution crappy driver (that I can hardly scroll a webpage with, because it's so slow) every time I reset the PC.

Maybe I just need a clean install of Windows :(

For anyone curious about reproducing this problem, make sure you have the system recovery running--my friend was using this when the exact same error happened to him, and he was able to roll back with no problems (Unfortunately I didn't have the rollback feature enabled).

I will check back again before I re-install just to make sure I have exhausted all the possibilities.

Thank you all for your ideas and help!