Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Service only starts single winvnc.exe instance

Bonji

Service only starts single winvnc.exe instance

Post by Bonji »

I've done this 1000 times, and I can't get it working on this one computer. I feel like I'm missing something stupid, but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

I installed uVNC 1.2.0.1 (32bit) on a Windows 8.1 (64bit) computer, the service is started, but there's only one winvnc.exe process running on the computer instead of two. The tray icon is missing and I cannot connect to this computer remotely. I duplicated this exact install on another computer that works fine, and as a matter of fact this is how I install uVNC where I am 90% of the time.

I'm at a loss...
-Ben
YY

Re: Service only starts single winvnc.exe instance

Post by YY »

Try enable the Log Feature of UVNC server, and see if the log file be providing any helpful information.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

I guess that the password was not set before the service was started...
Without passwd the service keep waiting and you only see a single winvnc.exe

Copy the ultravnc.ini from a working PC or use the uvnc_settings.exe to set a password.
restart service
net stop uvnc_service
net start uvnc_service

and verify again
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

Good call on the logging. I'll do that.

The password is already set as I push a prebuilt UltraVNC.ini file that I use on all computers. Running winvnc.exe as an application works just fine, and the only problem is when it's started as a service.

I'll try again with logging enabled and see what that shows.
-Ben
YY

Post by YY »

Change the "DebugLevel=" to a value of 10 (in ultravnc.ini), so that to obtain a full debugging output.
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

I modified the ini file to enable logging (I used 12), but it only generates a log file when run as an application. When run as a service, there is no log file. Weird, right?

I ensured the location specified for the log file has SYSTEM Full Control.
-Ben
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

Also, I can only change settings manually in the UltraVNC.ini file. If I run winvnc.exe as an application (the only way it works currently), and then change the settings via Admin Properties, it doesn't actually change anything in the UltraVNC.ini file. If I close the properties window and re-open it, the settings are back to what they were originally set to.

The UltraVNC.ini file does not have the read-only attribute set.
-Ben
YY

Post by YY »

What User Account is used to start the UVNC service ?

Any chance the running of UVNC was blocked by the security/antivirus ?
Some of them (like Avast) may keep a suspected program running in SandBox, and revoke any change created by the program.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Is the service reffering to the same exe as you use as application
I had this a time ago and lost a 1/2 day on testing with 2 different exe.
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

What User Account is used to start the UVNC service ?
The local SYSTEM account is starting the service with the "Allow service to interact with desktop" checked.
Any chance the running of UVNC was blocked by the security/antivirus ?
I checked this prior to my original post, but I checked again as thoroughly as I possibly know how, and I cannot find anything on the computer that would block the software. There doesn't appear to be any firewall/anti-virus on the computer outside what Windows 8.1 comes with by default. This is a fairly new build with not much in the way of software installed on it yet.
It does have VMWare player installed, but I've never had a problem with that in the past.
I also noticed a Windows Defender Network Inspection service running, but I am not familiar with that does/does not do. I'm not allowed to stop it, and I got an access denied trying to terminate the process.
Is the service reffering to the same exe as you use as application
The service and application are the same exe. I verified the only winvnc.exe on the computer is the one referenced in the service. It's also where I go to start it manually as an application.
-Ben
YY

Post by YY »

Since the UVNC in application mode was unable to save the setting, if it is not blocked by security/antivirus, then it may be a result of insufficient privileges.

I suggest to do following test for verify:

- Right click "winvnc.exe" and select "Properties"
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- put a check mark in the box labeled "Run this program as an administrator"
- For testing, you may also apply this to all user. (as you may revoke all changes after test)

Apply the change, reboot the machine, and see what happen.
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

This had no impact when running as an application or service.

I disabled VMWare, Windows Defender, and killed a bunch of non-Microsoft processes to no avail. Ugh...
-Ben
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

I moved the folder outside of "Program Files" and now the service works fine. The permissions while it was in "Program Files" were correct, and I even re-applied them just to be sure. I'm probably running into something with Program Files' added protection, but I've never hit this before on a Win8.1 computer. All the other ones work fine using the same method of installation.

I deleted the original VNC folder, re-created it, installed the service, but same problem.
I deleted the new VNC folder, re-created it with a different name, but same problem.

It doesn't look to work when under Program Files no matter what.
-Ben
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

copy winvnc.exe to temp
copy from temp back to program files
Normal UAC should ask permission and set the security bit.

If you download a zip and extract via browser -> the OS put a unsecure bit on the exe.
To avoid this download zip and extract via explorer. I don't know if the unsecure bit is removed
with the recopy trick.

If installed via the installer, the OS normal set the proper bits.
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

I already moved it out and back in, but I'll try again. This is the same winvnc.exe I use on other machines that don't have this problem, although it is stored externally on a file server before being copied to the local machine.

I always use 7-Zip to extract zip files, so does this avoid the problem you are referring to?

If it still doesn't work, I'll download it again and make another attempt with a new file.
-Ben
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Did the OS asked permission to copy in the secure folder ? If not, perhaps UAC is off.
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

My installation is through scripting on an external computer whereby files are copied from a file server to the local client via a domain account with administrative privileges on the local client. Nothing is executed locally on the client itself. I push MSLogon security through remote registry access.

UAC is enabled on the local client but never factors in because nothing is processed locally.

We can move off this issue for now, and I'll just keep it in the back of my mind should I ever run into it again. Also, if I come across a solution or details of what caused the issue to begin with, I'll update this thread with the specifics. I don't want to take up other's time any longer for something that seems to be a 1-off and that I now have a work-around for.

Thanks for everyone's input to this point.
-Ben