File transfer fails when transferring from Read-only disk

Here you will find help for frequently asked questions as well as for your specific question.

File transfer fails when transferring from Read-only disk

Postby ulfb » 2004-07-08 07:20

When i Try to transfer files from an Acronis Trueimage mounted disk, the transfer fails. I'll guess the UltraVNC is using a temp-dir on the drive for zipping, (which of course will fail). Any suggestions on how to solve this?
Currently I have to copy files to a RW-enabled disk which is not satisfactory. (Havent tried, but I guess there is the same problem if I tried to transfer from CD/DVD-Rom)
ulfb

Postby UltraSam » 2004-07-08 13:59

Right.
When transfering a whole directory from the server, its content is first zipped in a single zip file in the mother directory, so you must have write access on it...

Workarounds:

- On the server, using vncviewer, copy the directory on a writable media first (ie C:\temp) then transfer this copy of the directory

- Copy all the files of the directory by selecting them all then click "<< Receive" (first, you have to create the same directory on the local side, then go in it with FT GUI). It will work great if you don't have subdirectories in the main directory you transfer.
UltraSam
UltraSam
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Feature request

Postby sepp » 2004-07-13 08:54

Hi,

please use the windows temp dir for futher versions.

Thanks Sepp.
sepp

Postby prandal » 2004-07-13 09:59

Yes, you should create the .zip in the windows temp directory (or user-nominated drive and directory). I personally think that any file transfer solution shouldn't do it that way, but should just copy unzipped files. The .zip way fails when the space used by the files copied (from server) exceeds the available free space on the server, which could easily happen in real life.
prandal

Return to General help