Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Pchelpware_SC server not opening.

Madhopsman

Pchelpware_SC server not opening.

Post by Madhopsman »

I've have had the server not open on some workstations/servers. No reason. I've removed the upx pack from the create.bat but this has had no effect. This has happened to me twice. Once on server 2003 r2 fully patched and once on windows xp sp2 fully patched. No reason, no error, just doesn't open. I did find another thread dealing with this exact issue, but most people were having the trouble on server 2003 sbs. Someone had mentioned this to be a DEP problem, but DEP was only enabled for windows services on both of these boxes that were failing. This is quite frustrating. It happens to both the pchelpware_sc.exe server and the regular pchelpware server. I've even manually unzipped the exe on these and run the pchelpware.exe manually, still no go. Has any1 else had this problem and found a fix/workaround?
redge

Re: Pchelpware_SC server not opening.

Post by redge »

any difference between working computer and dosn't
- multi-monitor ?
- multi-cpu ?
- ethernet speed 10/100/1000, auto ?
no managed router require computer connected to these router should always have auto mode for network interface card.

- but some have trouble with 1000 Mbit/s or 1 Gbit/s with Jumbo packet.
almost a bug of driver do not correctly set the port.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
Madhopsman

Post by Madhopsman »

Well, the server i'm sure has a 1000mb nic, but probably isnt plugged into a 1000mb port. The workstation is also 1000mb and its set for auto, but linked at 100mb. The server may or may not be multi proc but the xp workstation is single core. The workstation is behind a linksys router, no special configuration, the server i'm not real sure about. neither have dual monitor (but i have successfully used it on a xp pc with dual monitor, can only see monitor 1 obviously). The workstation has a single core amd sempron 3000+ proc. Is there some way to run a debug output maybe?
redge

Post by redge »

The workstation has a single core amd sempron 3000+ proc
interesting...
pchelpware use core ipp (Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives)
so maybe related to AMD not compatible with Intel IPP ?
never tested my self on AMD, I have no AMD for validate or not.
Is there some way to run a debug output maybe?
yes, but is not very help
you can checkbox debug on the viewer and the server, I don't remember, sorry.
Last edited by redge on 2007-12-10 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

I have ran pchelpware on amd and intels seems to work fine. The only issue i have had is firewall access. Sometimes the firewall on the machine stop it from running..:(
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
Madhopsman

Post by Madhopsman »

None of the "problem" machines do not have any firewall software loaded and windows firewall is disabled. They do have Symantec AV Corp., but that has no firewall and other pc's with the same version have no problem. And as far as debug, I have only seen the option on the viewer, but of course that will do me no good :P
Last edited by Madhopsman on 2007-12-12 18:35, edited 2 times in total.
Madhopsman

Post by Madhopsman »

Bump....
This is still a sporadic issue I am having. Is there some way we can get developers to release a version of the exe with a debug/logfile option? I have yet to pinpoint this issue any other way...
RBJensen

Post by RBJensen »

I've seen that issue on a Windows 2003 system - and I had to disable DEP for that application to solve it. Apparantly it's due to the "file packer" being used to compress the files into one .exe.
HTH.
RBJensen

Post by RBJensen »

Hrmf. And now I see that Windows 2003 and DEP is mentioned in the first entry in this thread. Stupid me.

Another suggestion: Have you tried one of the other .exe packages on this forum? I remember seeing someone creating a Delphi .exe - if that runs, it could be a problem with the PCHW .exe, if not, some sort of antivirus might block the .DLL's themselves.

Incidentally, I've created a PCHW server .exe in C#, using the PCHW .DLL someone might be interested in - but this only being my second post of does not give me much credibility - I could easily be trying to sneak nasties onto someone's PC, yess, my precioussss.
Madhopsman

Post by Madhopsman »

Yeah, I saw the stuff with DEP, but It was turned off on all the systems that had the issue. Also, I turned off the compression in the final exe. As far as other packages (like the delphi or c#), can anyone point me in the right direction?

O yeah, and as an aside, I was able to get at one of the pc's that was having this problem (an XP Pro SP2 pc to be exact). I used process monitor on it, the 3rd to last thing that happened was the PcHelpWare.exe showing a thread exit. So the PcHelpWare.exe was starting, but closing down for some unknown reason. If I knew how to post a file on a reply, I could post the PML file which will allow anyone else to open it up in process monitor to take a look at all the activity of the PcHelpware executable from start to to finish.
Last edited by Madhopsman on 2008-01-23 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
RBJensen

Post by RBJensen »

The Delphi .exe is at the bottom of this thread:
[topic=9159][/topic]
Madhopsman

Post by Madhopsman »

I'm not sure the delphi compiled exe is going to work. I'm having problems with the PcHelpware_sc.exe. I tried it anyhow, but it doesn't work. This doesn't look like it's the same thing. Thanks though, any other thoughts?
basilirwin

Post by basilirwin »

This probably won't help your problem, but I did find I had the same symptom after I turned on DEP for all programs on XP, namely the server would fail to start with no overt symptoms. After setting back DEP for essential only, all was well.

The problem did not occur in Safe Mode even before I set DEP back to essential only, so I assume full DEP is disabled in Safe Mode.

Here's a good little discussion of the four possible settings for DEP via msconfig and/or %systemroot%\boot.ini

http://geekswithblogs.net/PsudoKnowledg ... n-dep.aspx
Basil Irwin
Maverex

Post by Maverex »

I seem to have the same problem on multiple machines.
Running 2003 server, Vista (2x)

The executable simply does not start.

Please help.
Maverex

Post by Maverex »

I am sure now it is the thing with DEP.

Is there no other option than to change the settings and reboot ?