Thank you for making PC-helpware available to us for free. I have had a problem connecting in the last two weeks and I am at my wits end figuring it out. Here is the setup
- PC-Helpware version 1.0.0 has been working for well over a year without issue
- using DIRECT CONNECTION
- have entry in Windows Firewall to allow PC-HELPWARE
- have port forward 5500 in my router to a static internal ip on my viewer computer
- Using AVG anti virus paid version without the AVG firewall
- in April it stopped connecting to the server. A few weeks later it started working again. I made no changes during this time.
- in mid June it stopped connecting to the server again.
What I have checked
- CCleaner to get rid of all system temp files
- MalwareBytes full scan in Safe_Mode_with_Command_Prompt boot. No infections. Then normal reboot for tests below.
- PFPortChecker and confirm port 5500 is port forwarding on viewer computer - successful
- Ping my IP from the server computer - successful
- confirm by ping that my DynDNS alias is working. I have dynamic IP from my ISP.
- System Internal TCPView and TCPvcon to monitor TCP traffic. I did not see anything to help me in these two monitors.
- on viewer computer: turned off Windows Firewall, AVG anti virus realtime scanning
- on server computer: turned off Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essential anti virus realtime scanning
- rebuild server and run viewer with DEBUG option.
- test using this server to connect viewer and server thru Internet - no errors in DEBUG window
- same error as regular Internet test below
- local test
- rebuild server to use internal ip address behind my router
- test using this server to connect viewer and server on my local network - successful
BTW, this works with Windows Firewall and AVG anti virus on
The error (on server side in the PcHelpware Info Rel dialog box) when I try to connect over the Internet is
"Failed to connect"
"No connection could be made because the target machine active"*
"Init Network failed"
*note: rest of message off edge of dialog box. Unable to enlarge dialog box.
Since I have made no changes since PC-Helpware stopped connecting, I suspect a Windows Update or something at the ISP, or higher, level. Here are my questions:
1) Is anyone else having this issue?
2) Does anyone have any suggestions how I can diagnose this?
3) Does anyone have a work around for this issue?
4) Does anyone have other advise to get PC-Helpware to connect
Thanks in advance.