Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Option to disable zip compression during file transfer

Any features you would like to see in UltraVNC? Propose it here
wiegmann

Option to disable zip compression during file transfer

Post by wiegmann »

Hi UltraVNC team,

an option to disable/enable zip compression during file transfer would be great! Maybe placed as a check box in the file transfer dialog, or something. I often transfer big files (that couldn't be compressed in an effective way) through LAN, so I doesn't need the compression...or is there already an option to do so?

Regards, Bastian
johnsonlam

Re: Option to disable zip compression during file transfer

Post by johnsonlam »

wiegmann wrote: an option to disable/enable zip compression during file transfer would be great! Maybe placed as a check box in the file transfer dialog, or something. I often transfer big files (that couldn't be compressed in an effective way) through LAN, so I doesn't need the compression...or is there already an option to do so?
IMO, a selectable compression ratio may be better, if you're using LAN then you can use fastest compression, maybe just a simple Run-Length Encoding is better.

A binary transfer without any compression really harm efficiency, except your files always compressed with 7z or RAR.
wiegmann

Post by wiegmann »

johnsonlam wrote:
wiegmann wrote: an option to disable/enable zip compression during file transfer would be great! Maybe placed as a check box in the file transfer dialog, or something. I often transfer big files (that couldn't be compressed in an effective way) through LAN, so I doesn't need the compression...or is there already an option to do so?
IMO, a selectable compression ratio may be better, if you're using LAN then you can use fastest compression, maybe just a simple Run-Length Encoding is better.

A binary transfer without any compression really harm efficiency, except your files always compressed with 7z or RAR.
In most cases I agree with you, but sometimes I want to transfer CD/DVD images that are already compressed or where compression isn't very efficiently. So before sending, UltraVNC zips the file, which takes time (depending on the machine speed and quantity of data, sometimes up to an hour). In this case the transfer of the file without compression would be much faster, I think.
johnsonlam

Post by johnsonlam »

wiegmann wrote: In most cases I agree with you, but sometimes I want to transfer CD/DVD images that are already compressed or where compression isn't very efficiently. So before sending, UltraVNC zips the file, which takes time (depending on the machine speed and quantity of data, sometimes up to an hour). In this case the transfer of the file without compression would be much faster, I think.
That's easy, VNC developers can add auto-detection of file extension, so we can easily set "no compression" for specific extension such as ISO, MDS or NRG.

But the most I want is "resume download", very useful.
mhalliday79

Post by mhalliday79 »

I have also had occasion to pass .vob, .dmg, etc. The compression takes two much time...
I agree that resume download might be helpful...
mhalliday79

Post by mhalliday79 »

For example, a simple, if the file is video or audio and greater than 4G in size or 2G in size, then don't bother trying to compress further.
(bump, this discussion seems to have gotten lost from the Feature requests...)
Oliver
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by Oliver »

zlatan24 wrote:Every day I work with my zip files. But today something happened and some of them were lost for no good reasons. For luck I used the Google and thanks to it I found there - how to open damaged zip file. The software solved my issue for seconds and absolutely free as far as I remember. Moreover I knew how the application can works under all supported versions of this operating system.
Нам спам не надо, спасибо!

Removed the link. We don't need spammers in our forum. Obviously you are related to the person owning the domain you linked to. So finding it was not by chance, I'd guess ... next time you'll be banned.
Oliver

How to Report Bugs Effectively
My homepage | WinDirStat
PGP-keys:
  • Forum or UltraVNC-related: 0xA2DD1DBD, E18B 2E2F 4F3E D143 4ED4 3E2B E172 FB55 A2DD 1DBD
  • Other matters: 0x0E88590F, 38B5 5EBA A470 C0F7 0942 81B8 C779 D829 0E88 590F
szakilaci

Post by szakilaci »

wiegmann wrote:Hi UltraVNC team,
an option to disable/enable zip compression during file transfer would be great!
Regards, Bastian
That feature would be REALLY great and helpful!
TitovLab

Post by TitovLab »

Yes, it will be very nice function to disable compress files before transfering.
Fedia

Post by Fedia »

last four year any changes?
how about transfer blye ray iso image up to 60Gb?
1 day for compress to 59,5Gb an else 1 day to transfer it...
MAB

Post by MAB »

i second this request also. With option selectable.

Thanks.
Csimbi

Post by Csimbi »

Any progress on this?
I just sent 40Gb to the remote host (a directory with a bunch of RAR files in it).
It took ages to compress it. Whatever the compression is, it needs to be turned off.
I would have saved me an hour of wait time and electricity bill.
If you're concerned about a bazillion files in a directory, TAR it on the fly without any compression - though that should be an option, too, especially on LAN.
This really should be a no-brainer.
Thanks!
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Ultravnc filetransfer can only do single file transfers.
For folder we use the zip library

Single file -> no compression
folder -> zipped to temp.zip with compression level 1 +Checksum is calculated

Time:
UVNCvnc need a temp file and write all folder data as single zip in this temp, then it create a checksum.
This part takes time....
We are not going to write it ourself; zip is a bugfree library that does all the stuff (subfolder/pwnership etc) for file transfer.

To avoid the "online" zip part
Use some rar/zip/tar without compression to precreate your single file and transmit that.
Then vnc only need to send a file, that's done without compression and zipping.
Csimbi

Post by Csimbi »

Wow. That's a very disappointing response.
Thanks, not appreciated.