Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

VNCon should become part of UltraVNC project

Any features you would like to see in UltraVNC? Propose it here
californiajeff

VNCon should become part of UltraVNC project

Post by californiajeff »

I find VNCon such a useful program to control UltraVNC with I think it should become a part of the UltraVNC project. The guy that has developed VNCon has not updated his project much in awhile. I think by bringing over to the UltraVNC community I think we could get more done with it as a whole.

Also, If the developer of VNCon is not willing to bring it over to us. Maybe we could start working on a similar project and call it UltraVNC Manager or something similar (trying to think up a creative name). I find VNCon an indispensable tool when you have UltraVNC installed over a large network. It makes it much easier to keep track of computers that have UltraVNC installed and to take control of them.
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

Here is the link to VNCon's page for those that are not aware of it:

http://vncon.chronetal.co.uk/

This is some truly awesome software that goes very well with UltraVNC.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Last edited by californiajeff on 2005-05-06 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
sgp

Post by sgp »

Not knowing VNCon at all, I stumbled over the new release of Kaboodle, it discovers a LAN and helps in starting VNC sessions... I don't have large enough a LAN for a meaningful test, but maybe you do.
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

sgp wrote:Not knowing VNCon at all, I stumbled over the new release of Kaboodle, it discovers a LAN and helps in starting VNC sessions... I don't have large enough a LAN for a meaningful test, but maybe you do.
Do you have the link for Kaboodle and is it free?
redge

Post by redge »

Do you have the link for Kaboodle and is it free?
yes free and open source :-)
http://www.kaboodle.org
Last edited by redge on 2005-05-07 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

I tried Kaboodle and while I feel it has a neat looking interface, it just does not do as much as VNCon can do. Thanks for showing it to me though.
Last edited by californiajeff on 2005-05-09 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
UltraSam
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by UltraSam »

Has anyone tested VNCon with the latest RC20.5 viewer ? It should allow VNCon multi-view as I've reactivated old VNCon specific windows messages allowing it to remote controle the Viewer size.

Please let le know. Not yet retested it myself.

Txs,
UltraSam
sbostedor

Post by sbostedor »

Have you tried http://www.vncscan.com yet?

It's only $40 and doesn't charge per computer.
redge

Post by redge »

Has anyone tested VNCon with the latest RC20.5 viewer ?
trying some test RC20.5 with VNCon
but VNCon is unusable... to buggy, slow and unstable and no more dev.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

i've made a program that acts like a server/client that links to all the same programs that it finds in the current network (it can also connect to single ips) making possible to connect to any of the vnc servers on the pcs running the program. It also detects firewalls and automatically creates tunnels between all the pcs to get around them (it pratically merges vnc scanner and vnc repeater). It took me 2-3 days to make and it was the first win32 program I did (I only knew c when I started making it) so I don't think that an experienced programmer will lose more than 3-4 hours to make it.

I think that if uvnc developers will decide to implement a vnc scanning software they'd better to make one that works like the one I did because it saves all the time for repeaters installation and configuration (and also all the time lost scanning by hand the local networks).

Here's a screenshot:

http://scripters.altervista.org/concentrator.png (this url must be opened in a new browser window since my website hosting doesn't allow links from other websites)
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2005-05-15 04:20, edited 2 times in total.
CBailey

Post by CBailey »

Looks good! Is the program and/or sources available?
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

sbostedor wrote:Have you tried http://www.vncscan.com yet?

It's only $40 and doesn't charge per computer.
While I haven't tried VNCScan yet but I dislike it for the following reasons:

1.) requires .NET framework to run
2.) Costs $40
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

UltraSam wrote:Has anyone tested VNCon with the latest RC20.5 viewer ? It should allow VNCon multi-view as I've reactivated old VNCon specific windows messages allowing it to remote controle the Viewer size.

Please let le know. Not yet retested it myself.

Txs,
Hey Sam, I will upgrade my machine to 20.5 and see how that works. I have been curious how that feature works. Thanks.
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

OhMyGoat wrote: I think that if uvnc developers will decide to implement a vnc scanning software they'd better to make one that works like the one I did because it saves all the time for repeaters installation and configuration (and also all the time lost scanning by hand the local networks).

Here's a screenshot:

http://scripters.altervista.org/concentrator.png (this url must be opened in a new browser window since my website hosting doesn't allow links from other websites)
Can I get a copy of your software to try it out and see what it does?
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

redge wrote:
Has anyone tested VNCon with the latest RC20.5 viewer ?
trying some test RC20.5 with VNCon
but VNCon is unusable... to buggy, slow and unstable and no more dev.
I disagree Redge. In my use VNCon is completely stable. No bugs that I have encountered although I know people have thought of features that could be added or updated to it.
sbostedor

Post by sbostedor »

californiajeff .... I think that if you try it, you'll like it. 8)

Why don't you like the .Net Framework? I'm interested in hearing opinions like that. To me, it's no different than requiring the Java runtime when running Java applications. The difference being that .NET is faster (according to my observations) and easier to develop against.

Is forty dollars really that expensive when you see all that it does? If all that it did was the simple things that VNCcon does, I'd completely understand but it's far more advanced than that.

Here's a glance at VNCScan features. As you can see, VNCCon is very primitive and out dated compared to VNCScan. Not to mention, you also get excellent support with VNCScan but you'll be lucky to ever get a reply from some of the freeware authors.

VNC Features:

* Wizard driven VNC deployment. You can push install the following VNC flavors:
o UltraVNC
o RealVNC 4
o TightVNC
o mVNC
o Tridia VNC
o RealVNC 3
* Multithreaded (super fast) VNC scanner
* Save profiles of VNC settings for standard deployments.
* Add custom registry settings for deployment profiles
* Easily store scan settings into groups
* Export scan results to HTML
* Modify VNC settings on remote computers
* You can choose what version of viewer to use
* Full control over remote VNC services
* Wake On LAN before connection (optional)
* Removal of VNC from remote computers
* Push UltraVNC with NT Authentication support
* Built in support for the UltraVNC repeater proxy

Network Administration Features:

* Run administrative tasks as another user (impersonation)
* Built in remote task management
* Search domains and scan groups for the workstations that a user is logged into.
* Set custom programs to launch on right-click
* Push and execute VBS and CMD scripts on network workstations
* Send Wake On LAN
* Easily browse network shares
* One click access to remote computer Management MMC
* Find who's logged into remote computers
* Reboot remote computers
* Point and Ping ;)
* Full Network Neighborhood support (Not just VNC)
* Built in Terminal Server client
* Windows password reset
* Server maintenance logging

http://www.vncscan.com
Steve Bostedor
Super Simple UltraVNC Management
GoatyGoat

vnc concentrator

Post by GoatyGoat »

Well, I was thinking to release my program as freeware and because of that I've started changing the interface to add ranges/ips for automatic scan instead of having to give the program all the ips/ranges by hand or having to add them to the registry. However, since windows xp sp2 came out and also because microsoft decided to stop supporting raw sockets I don't know if the scanning features will remain: the program since it automatically links to other programs running on other pcs doesn't really need a scanning feature, expecially a scanner feature limited to 10 half open connections at once. I don't think that somebody will like to wait at least 25 seconds to scan a small range of ips :P

I suppose that the program will be ready in 2-3 weeks, I don't know if I will make sources available however because first of all they're not commented, and second because I woudln't like to see hundred of different flavours of my program around the internet, if somebody wants to suggests some new interesting features I think that they should be integrated in the main program instead of making a new different version: making a lot of different versions often creates confusion.

However there's really a messy situation with gpl: in fact, just because my program uses (pratically it just invokes) vnc client/server executables that, as long as I know, are under gpl, my program sources should be released too.

If i will not release the sources i'll remove all the vnc related stuff from it: I'll make it customizable with a .ini file or registry entries so that any user can edit to add their favorite strings to launch programs.

This way the program would be a lot customizable since you can pratically launch everything that connects to an ip so not only vnc, but ftp, http, whatever you like.

I don't know also if i'll keep automatic connection tunnelling since it was made only for vnc connections, i'll probably add it later.

The program should however solve all your problems: you'll just have to install the program on all the pcs, and configure it (you can make small sfx installers using winrar or createinstall in no time) to connect to a certain pc (for example your server) where the program is also installed.

Then you'll be able to see from any of the networks pcs all the other pcs, you can access using whatever program you like, vnc or not, to any of them. Also if the program gets disconnected it automatically tries to reconnect every 30 seconds infinitely so you won't have to care about disconnections and also lets you not only to do direct connections to the program in the server pc, but you can connect to any of the running programs in any pc, you can link the programs in any way you like (just be careful about not connecting the same pc twice).

I really think that this program will make every admin happy :P (well maybe not in the first versions since it's just an amatorial program for now but maybe it'll get better)

If ultravnc developers thinks that my program would fit well in the installation package it would be ok for me to have them include it since it's very small for now (around 150kb).

The real problem is that, since i'm using vs .net, the program requires vc7.0 runtime libraries that are about 300-400kb. I remember there was a program that merges dlls in the executable but I forgot its name: when i'll remember it the problem will be solved.
xbx14

Post by xbx14 »

Dear GoatyGoat,
Is "Thinstall" (http://www.thinstall.com) the software you are thinking about??
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

unfortunately it's not that :P. The website was different and there was a freeware version. Fortunately i've saved the website url somewhere and I'll be able to find it soon :P

Thanks anyways
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

well i've opened a small forum section for my program on my website. I will post there status updates about my program and naturally download links when it will be ready for use (it should be ready in a week or less).

Here's the URL: http://scripters.altervista.org/Forum/index.php?f=3

UPDATE: I've found out now that the forum was messed up, now it seems working :P
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2005-05-22 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan

OT:question for OhMyGoat

Post by Stefan »

I came across your post regarding the freeware app being able to merge the dll's into the exe.
Please post the url if you find it - I think it would be very usefull for people looking for an alternative to thinstall (thinstall costs about $4000 per application +20%per year for support).

TIA

Re: OT:question for OhMyGoat

Post by Guest »

Stefan wrote:I came across your post regarding the freeware app being able to merge the dll's into the exe.
Please post the url if you find it - I think it would be very usefull for people looking for an alternative to thinstall (thinstall costs about $4000 per application +20%per year for support).

TIA
Damn, I was using xp 64bit when I found that program, unfortunately since I was continuosly getting MACHINE CHECK errors I formatted my pc immediately without even thinking to backup bookmarks since I used it only for a 2 days. I've read of it in a msfn forum if i'll stumble again across it i'll post it here since I see you're interested

Have a nice day :)
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

For those interested in my project (a simple program to create a small virtual network of linked computers that lets you launch programs on them (for example you can a remote vnc server connect to your local vnc client)) i've put set up a post on my forum with an alpha release, that will probably be updated very often.

This alpha dosn't do much things, it connects to other programs (not only to programs running in other pcs but even to other program sessions locally)

This is the post url: http://scripters.altervista.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

(the program may require visual c++ runtime libraries if you don't have
them installed, I think that you can find those on microsoft website)

I hope you'll like it
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2005-05-27 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
sbostedor

Post by sbostedor »

The program doesn't seem to run. The error says something wrong with the configuration file.
Steve Bostedor
Super Simple UltraVNC Management
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

sbostedor wrote:The program doesn't seem to run. The error says something wrong with the configuration file.
I'm installing some virtual machines to find out what's wrong with the program, probably it lacks some libraries.

As soon as I can find what's missing i'll add it to the archive. thanks for reporting the problem :P

-- Edit --
Now it should work i've wrongly posted the debug version that probably requires microsoft debug libraries. I've tried it on a fresh xp sp2 install and it works correctly

I think that a usable version of the program should be ready in 1-2 days say tuned :o
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2005-05-28 07:23, edited 3 times in total.
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

sbostedor wrote:The program doesn't seem to run. The error says something wrong with the configuration file.
Does it works for you now? I've tried it only on a virtual machine so I don't know if it will work in the real world :P
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

For those interested in my program i wanted to inform you that the program is starting to work and i've made a guide for starters avaiable on the program website. The last alpha version works well it still lacks some things and it's a bit crashy however those things will be fixed as soon as possible. Have fun
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2005-06-19 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

sbostedor wrote:californiajeff .... I think that if you try it, you'll like it. 8)

Why don't you like the .Net Framework? I'm interested in hearing opinions like that. To me, it's no different than requiring the Java runtime when running Java applications. The difference being that .NET is faster (according to my observations) and easier to develop against.

Is forty dollars really that expensive when you see all that it does? If all that it did was the simple things that VNCcon does, I'd completely understand but it's far more advanced than that.
I dislike the .Net Framework because I feel it is a lazy way to program and also because I don't like the idea of being locked into a Microsoft technology.

Honestly, I thought Java was great until Sun broke it. If you have never experienced the pain of trying to figure out how to run multiple versions of Java on your system, so you can get Java programs to run that were written in different java versions then I hope you never have to experience that. I loved Java until that happened. I still like the Java idea but because of that I feel real sour about Java. The .Net Framework in my opinion is even worse because as you already know Microsoft does not believe in cross-platform support.

I have also run into limitations with the .Net framework. For example, I was recently trying to configure .Net for a program that uses it and I was unable to configure .Net to send an email to a regular email address. After extensive phone conversations, I found out .Net would only let you send an email to an Exchange address (which of course is another Microsoft technology they want you to buy). Forget Microsoft and .Net for that one!
Last edited by californiajeff on 2005-06-22 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
OhMyGoat

First VNC Central Beta Version is out

Post by OhMyGoat »

First Beta Released

I've released the first beta of the program (before there were only alpha versions). Now it should work fine (even with automatic connections). I've also made a setup that installs vnc central + ultravnc and also it's already configured, you just have to install that setup on the computers and then add an automatic connection to the computer that will work like a server.

If you already configured ultravnc server its settings won't be overwritten. If you didn't then vnc server will be configured to accept socket connections with the password 11a78ok8kDf (there will be an option to chose the password soon in the setup). That password is also the one that will be asked when you request a server initiated connection from the remote computer (via the UltraVNC (PASSIVE) menu voice when you right-click the computer name in the program listctrl).

You can find it there: http://scripters.altervista.org/Project ... /index.php

IP Range scanning is not working yet, I don't know if i will reimplement it since I think it's an useless thing, instead of having server scan for clients you can just have clients connect to the server by adding an automatic connection in the preferences menu.

If you have problems or just want to ask for something just reply in this post or use the vnc central forum.
BTW There's an useful guide on the website that explains how to configure vnc central by hand (without using the setup).

First impressions are welcome.

Have fun :o
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2005-07-01 10:12, edited 1 time in total.