I am trying to perform an unattended install of UltraVNC 220.127.116.11 (including the UltraVNC mirror driver) via repackaging with Wise Package Studio 7.0 SP3 to produce a MSI. The target platform is Microsoft Windows XP SP3 x86.
I have successfully repackaged the files/.INI/shortcuts and even added a Custom Action to execute winvnc.exe -install after the files/.INI/shortcuts are copied to the installation folder to install and start the uvnc_service service. This works without any problems.
Where I am having problems is with the unattended install of the mirror driver as an additional Custom Action. After downloading the drivers.zip file, I can see two options to install the mirror driver in an unattended way:
- Execute ..\driver\xp\install.bat (which simply executes setupdrv.exe install), or
- Execute ..\driver\xp\install_silent.bat (which simply executes setupdrv.exe installs)
Regardless, this isn't so much of a problem as ..\driver\xp\install.bat (i.e., setupdrv.exe install) does appear to work (more or less silently) -- but only if you execute it manually! Which leads me to the second (i.e., the real) problem:
- If I add a Custom Action into my MSI installation script to execute "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\Mirror\setupdrv.exe" install, it fails with a Driver installation failed error and the mirror driver is not installed.
- If I add a Custom Action into my MSI installation script to execute a VB script to copy the driver files into %Temp% and execute "%Temp%\setupdrv.exe" install, it also fails with a Driver installation failed error and the mirror driver is not installed.
- If I add a Custom Action into my MSI installation script to execute a VB script to copy the driver files into C:\Temp (i.e., short path with no spaces) and execute "C:\Temp\setupdrv.exe" install, it again fails with a Driver installation failed error and the mirror driver is not installed.
Note: I copy the XP version (from drivers.zip) of setupdrv.exe, driver\mv2.cat, driver\mv2.dll, driver\mv2.inf, driver\mv2.sys into the target destinations above from my MSI as a Custom Action so the files are present on the target system during and after install time. I can run setupdrv.exe install from any of the above locations manually (i.e., from the Start > Run dialog) once my MSI copies the file across and it will execute and install the mirror driver fine which is strange.
Can anyone shed any light on these Driver installation failed errors? Are there any log files (or is it possible to turn logging on) for setupdrv.exe?
I found some older posts (several years old) on this forum that referenced the exact same Driver installation failed error message, but the proposed solutions were not helpful unfortunately.
Thanks in advance!