Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

ChunkVNC Upcoming Features and Requests

Simple, Free, Open Source UltraVNC Wrapper Supporting Windows and Mac OSX
B

Re: ChunkVNC Upcoming Features and Requests

Post by B »

If Rudi and the other developers don't manage to fix the repeater issue with 1.0.8.2, I humbly suggest:

a. Using 1.0.8.0 in the next version of ChunkVNC as the server (viewer can remain 1.0.8.2 based if you choose).

b. Figuring out how to apply ColtB45's CAD patch to 1.0.8.0 in order to allow Ctrl-Alt-Del to machines with UAC disabled.

b.1. AutoIT scripting to set the required SAS flag in the registry.

c. Inclusion of the fixed SecureVNC plugin.

d. Oh, and the multimonitor fix from [topic=16752][/topic] :)

Thanks as always. With the above changes and your proposed repeater ID management, this is getting where I would want it to be. :)
Last edited by B on 2010-05-21 14:32, edited 2 times in total.
B

Post by B »

And Colt was kind enough to do (b) for us!

[topic=17476][/topic]
supercoe

Post by supercoe »

Awesome, thanks B.
http://www.chunkvnc.com - ChunkVNC - Free PC Remote control with the Open Source UltraVNC wrapper InstantSupport!
B

Post by B »

For (b.1) I believe calling the Windows reg.exe command as follows should do the trick, at least in my brief testing:

Code: Select all

C:\> reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v SoftwareSASGeneration /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
[/size]
Last edited by B on 2010-05-24 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Jason_Bassett

Post by Jason_Bassett »

Hello

I would like to be able to run the repeater on a GNU/Linux box, is this possible or will it be possible in the future?

J
mrreload

Post by mrreload »

Jason_Bassett
See the FAQ here [topic=17163][/topic]
Yes, it is possible now. I am currently running the repeater on FreeBSD and have run it on Ubuntu as well.
B

Post by B »

That links to the Linux port (in C?). These days supercoe is, I think, also quite fond of Karl Runge's Perl port at http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ultravnc_repeater.pl

(For some reason Karl does not advertise this on his web site.)

All of them seem to work about equally from what little I know. The Perl version can be run on shared hosting accounts.
vega

Post by vega »

Hello,
Can I provide support with non-Windows OS computer? Is there an opportunity to connect Viewer with InstantSupport ID under Linux?
Thanks!
supercoe

Post by supercoe »

vega,

Definatly, I had a working proof of concept Linux InstantSupport awhile back but focused my attention on Windows. I guess if the demand is great enough I'd revisit the concept.

B,

How could you not be fond of of everything Karl makes?? :P
http://www.chunkvnc.com - ChunkVNC - Free PC Remote control with the Open Source UltraVNC wrapper InstantSupport!
B

Post by B »

Well, you know, I was going to make a snarky comment about not being fond of the web design at http://www.karlrunge.com/ , but how can you dislike a readable site with pictures by the guy's kids?

Clearly the man can do no wrong. :)
mrreload

Post by mrreload »

My tests of the viewer with Wine under Ubuntu indicate it works well enough from a supporters standpoint.
But a native Linux Server and Viewer would be awesome.
Jason_Bassett

Post by Jason_Bassett »

The chat feature is nice but it would be much better if the repeater was able to call Asterisk to get it to create a SIP or IAX extension of the same number generated for the VNC connection. That way the remote person could be called and the helper could speak to them for free.

Upon disconnect, the extension could be cleaned up and disposed of.

Can someone delete my 2 identical posts on the main Chunk forum, posted them by accident. Thanks.
Last edited by Jason_Bassett on 2010-08-19 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Corrilan IT Consultancy Ltd
http://www.corrilan.com
01375 403508
enquiries@corrilan.com
supercoe

Post by supercoe »

Great idea, but would require a lot to implement at this point in time. We'll leave it on the back burner though.

I cleaned up the other posts.
B

Post by B »

Jason, you might want to take a look at my round up of videoconferencing solutions at [topic=18210][/topic]

A lot of them have some form of VoIP and/or Asterisk integration.
mrIT79

Post by mrIT79 »

Great job folks, I love this. Thank you so much for all the work. I made a few mods just to the AutoIT scripts that I felt were helpful, maybe you will too:

1. I changed the compiler script so the value for the $TempPath variable in InstantSupport.au3 includes the random number created for the support session. I accomplished this by simply moving the random number generation above the value assignment for $TempPath and using $RandomNumber in making $TempPath:

$TempPath = @TempDir & "\ChunkVNC" & $RandomNumber

The reasoning for this was I had one client that somehow screwed things up to the point that starting ChunkVNC would fail because the schook.dll file did not get purged from the fixed name temporary directory and the new instance of it could not get the files extracted. My method will litter a little bit more, but seemed safer.

2. I made a VNCViewer EXE compiled the same as the ChunkVNC compilation, so I could post the viewer as a single download on a hidden web page that would be accessible from anywhere. I worried about having that client I needed to perform support for, but not be near my computer. I made a folder called Viewer_Files and got rid of the Viewer\Bin folder. Changes to Compiler.au3 were made to support the directory change and I added the following to ChunkViewer.au3:

; Set our temp working directory.
$TempPath = @TempDir & "\ChunkVNCViewer_Temp_Files"

; Remove any leftovers.
DirRemove( $TempPath, 1 )

; Extract everything.
DirCreate( $TempPath )
FileInstall( "Viewer_Files\chunkviewer.ini", $TempPath & "\chunkviewer.ini", 1 )
FileInstall( "Viewer_Files\MSRC4Plugin.dsm", $TempPath & "\MSRC4Plugin.dsm", 1 )
FileInstall( "Viewer_Files\rc4.key", $TempPath & "\rc4.key", 1 )
FileInstall( "Viewer_Files\vncviewer.exe", $TempPath & "\vncviewer.exe", 1 )

I have read some of the other new feature suggestions and like them. One thing I would like to accomplish is to have some sort of monitoring capability for the repeater. I run the repeater as a service and therefore have no UI to see what's happening. In the end I'd like to create some sort of hidden webpage that would give me the ID's of active waiting servers, and potentially allow me to just click on the ID of a server and have my packaged VNCViewer launch and connect. I can figure that part out, but I need some facility to determine who's available at the repeater. The best I can came up with is to look at the log files on the repeater and list the servers by last modified date of their logfile, but thought I'd put in a plug for something better for the future.

Thanks,
Mark
B

Post by B »

I like your first idea. While I was always liked the simplicity of ChunkVNC's single temp directory, you make a very valid argument. I guess this is why so many other programs end up littering up machines with old temp files/subdirectories with funny names; sometimes it's necessary.

I'm not sure I understand the point of your second change -- is it any different from simply copying the Viewer directory after (or at the end of) compilation? That's what I did manually. And why get rid of the original Viewer directory when you might need to recompile?

At least some of your repeater management suggestions will be, I think / hope, be present in the upcoming ChunkVNC release...
supercoe

Post by supercoe »

Repeater management will be a large part of the 4.0 release.

Currently I've been putting the finishing touches on a maintenance 3.2 release to fix a few known bugs and remove the need for closed source files such as schook.dll.

Cleanup issues will be resolved in the 3.2 release.

(Yes B, I'm removing the closed source files schook.dll and cad.exe just for you!)

Thanks for your work mrIT79, I appreciate everyone how shares code back with me. Glad to see another happy user. :)
B

Post by B »

Gee, thanks!

I think.

Is VNCHook (taking up the slack for SCHook) open source? And how will people generate Ctrl-Alt-Del without cad.exe -- I thought there was no real open source replacement?
supercoe

Post by supercoe »

I've been playing with the options, with my testing I've achieved good performance without a hook dll. As far as CAD.exe, we'll just have to lose that ability until a different fix comes about. I'll make sure the file is available to those that really need it.
mrIT79

Post by mrIT79 »

B - my second mod was basically this:

the Viewer directory has everything you need to use if you're running it locally, from your computer. But that's the thing, it contains multiple files that all need to be copied anywhere you intend to use it. My concern was that I'd be off on vacation or on a trip or something and either not have my computer or not have internet access with it. It seems inevitable that I'm in that situation and I get a call for help. I wanted a simple package (just like ChunkVNC) that would download as one file and work on any computer at any time (just like ChunkVNC). The changes I made relinquish the use of the Viewer directory (moving everything to a new one called Viewer_Files) and the compiler works every time...I get a ChunkVNCViewer.exe file out at the same directory path that I get ChunkVNC.exe. Sorry if I left something off the code that should be there (that mod was done about a month ago and I forgot all the steps I took). I can share my full AutoIT scripts if that would help.
B

Post by B »

Ah, thanks. I didn't see that you were creating a self-contained (presumably self-extracting?) chunkviewer.exe file.

That's actually one of my older feature requests. :)
netman

Post by netman »

Hi!

I have a little feature request: would it be possible instead of having the link to uninstall the service named "ChunkVNC uninstall" to have this editable so that it appears as for example "netman-support uninstall".

Just a really minor feature I would like to have - if not it is also no problem.

Maybe it would even be possible to replace ChunkVNC in all windows with something variable - sometimes people think chunk would be something bad...but, well all this "branding" stuff is not really something important and can be done later if at all.

Thanks!

Cheers
netman
Jason_Bassett

Post by Jason_Bassett »

That is a good idea. I would say branding is definitely important - I know of people/places that will not use OpenOffice.org because it is an open source product and they see that as open=insecure. Despite my best efforts to convince them otherwise.

Although, they see no problem with using Squid and Squidguard on top of Linux because they bought it from a company which slapped another name over the top and charged a fortune for it. They were not interested in my own Squid/Squidguard installation.
Last edited by Jason_Bassett on 2010-08-19 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Corrilan IT Consultancy Ltd
http://www.corrilan.com
01375 403508
enquiries@corrilan.com
jcesario

Post by jcesario »

It's easy! Open the source file with AutoIt and create a your own support files. :-D
spodhajecki

Post by spodhajecki »

I modified InstantSupport.au3 so that the IP address could be changed by the user. I have a dynamic IP address that rarely changes, plus I am in the field sometimes when I get a call.

I added a "Connect / Disconnect" button too.

Code: Select all

#include "Aut2Exe\Include\GUIConstantsEx.au3"
#include "Aut2Exe\Include\StaticConstants.au3"
#include "Aut2Exe\Include\WindowsConstants.au3"

; Set our temp working directory.
$TempPath = @TempDir & "\ChunkVNC_Temp_Files"

; Remove any leftovers.
DirRemove( $TempPath, 1 )

; Extract everything.
DirCreate( $TempPath )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\cad.exe", $TempPath & "\cad.exe", 1 )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\logo.jpg", $TempPath & "\logo.jpg", 1 )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\winvnc.exe", $TempPath & "\InstantSupportVNC.exe", 1 )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\chunkvnc.exe", $TempPath & "\ChunkVNC.exe", 1 )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\schook.dll", $TempPath & "\schook.dll", 1 )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\rc4.key", $TempPath & "\rc4.key", 1 )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\MSRC4Plugin.dsm", $TempPath & "\MSRC4Plugin.dsm", 1 )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\ultravnc.ini", $TempPath & "\ultravnc.ini", 1 )
FileInstall( "InstantSupport_Files\chunkvnc.ini", $TempPath & "\chunkvnc.ini", 1 )

If Not FileExists($TempPath & "\InstantSupportVNC.exe") Then
	MsgBox(266288,"Information","Support files could not be installed."&@CRLF&"Please contact a service representative for instructions.")
	_DeleteTemp(5)
	Exit
EndIf

; Read the address of the repeater from our settings file.
$RepeaterAddress = IniRead( $TempPath & "\chunkvnc.ini", "Repeater", "Address", "" )

; Generate a random ID number
$LowerLimit = 200000
$UpperLimit = 999999
$RandomNumber = Random( $LowerLimit,$UpperLimit,1 )

; TODO: Check if ID is already in use.

; Create GUI, added text box for repeater address, added button to connect, disconnect

$InstantSupport = GUICreate("Instant Support", 450, 325, 440, 105,BitOR( $WS_SYSMENU,$WS_CAPTION,$WS_POPUP,$WS_POPUPWINDOW,$WS_BORDER,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS,$WS_MINIMIZEBOX ) )
GUISetBkColor( 0xFFFFFF )
$Pic1 = GUICtrlCreatePic($TempPath & "\logo.jpg", 0, 0, 450, 90, BitOR($SS_NOTIFY,$WS_GROUP,$WS_CLIPSIBLINGS))
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Connection Address:", 16, 112, 181, 28)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 400, 0, "Arial Black")
$Input1 = GUICtrlCreateInput($RepeaterAddress, 56, 144, 337, 32)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 400, 0, "Arial Black")
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($RandomNumber, 0, 192, 450, 100,$SS_CENTER)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 50, 800, 0, "Arial Black")
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Connect", 40, 296, 387, 25, 0)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 800, 0, "Arial Black")
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

; Create the tray icon. Default tray menu items (Script Paused/Exit) will not be shown.
Opt( "TrayMenuMode",1 )
$InstallItem = TrayCreateItem( "Install Service" )
; Allocate vars for pid and process
$iToggle = 0
$iPID = 0

; Main Loop
While 1

; Close any windows firewall messages that popup. The windows firewall doesn't block outgoing connections anyways.
	if WinExists( "Windows Security Alert" ) then WinClose( "Windows Security Alert" )

; Check for form events.
	$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
	Switch $nMsg

Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
			If _Shutdown("Are you sure you want to exit?") = 1 then
				_DeleteTemp(5)
				Exit
			EndIf
		Case $Button1
			$szRepeaterAddress= GuiCtrlRead($Input1)
			If $szRepeaterAddress <> "" Then
				$RepeaterAddress = $szRepeaterAddress
				IniWrite( $TempPath & "\chunkvnc.ini", "Repeater", "Address", $RepeaterAddress)
			EndIf
			$iPID = ProcessExists("InstantSupportVNC.exe")
			If $iPID Then
				If _Shutdown("Are you sure you want to close the connection?") = 1 Then
					GuiCtrlSetData($Button1,"Connect")
					$iToggle = 0
				EndIf
			Else
			; Start the server and make a reverse connection to the repeater.
				ShellExecute( $TempPath & "\InstantSupportVNC.exe", "-autoreconnect ID:" & $RandomNumber & " -connect " & $RepeaterAddress & " -run" )
				$iPID = ProcessExists("InstantSupportVNC.exe")
				GuiCtrlSetData($Button1,"Disconnect")
				$iToggle = 1
			EndIf
	EndSwitch

; Check for tray events.
	$nMsg = TrayGetMsg()
	Switch $nMsg

Case $InstallItem

; Choose ID for service installation.
			$IDNumber = InputBox( "Service Installation", "Enter an ID number: ", $RandomNumber ) +0

If IsNumber($IDNumber) and $IDNumber > 100000 and $IDNumber < 999999 Then

; Configure ultravnc.ini
				IniWrite( $TempPath & "\ultravnc.ini", "admin", "service_commandline", '-autoreconnect ID:' & $IDNumber & ' -connect ' & $RepeaterAddress )

; Configure chunkvnc.ini
				IniWrite( $TempPath & "\chunkvnc.ini", "ChunkVNC", "Path", @ProgramFilesDir & '\ChunkVNC' )
				IniWrite( $TempPath & "\chunkvnc.ini", "ChunkVNC", "ID", $IDNumber )

; Exit the server.
				ShellExecute( $TempPath & "\InstantSupportVNC.exe", "-kill" )

; Run installer after the server exits.
				ProcessWaitClose( "InstantSupportVNC.exe", 30 )
				ShellExecute( $TempPath & "\ChunkVNC.exe" )

Exit

Else

MsgBox( 0, "Information", "Invalid ID entered, service installation canceled" )

EndIf

EndSwitch

If ProcessExists($iPID) = 0 Then
		If $iToggle = 1 Then
			GUICtrlSetData($Button1,"Connect")
			$iToggle = 0
		EndIf
	EndIf
WEnd
Func _Shutdown($msg = "")
	If $msg = "" Then $msg = "Are you sure you want to quit?"
	If MsgBox( 4,"Quit", $msg ) = 6 Then
		; Allow viewer to disconnect to prevent schook.dll locking.
		If ProcessExists("InstantSupportVNC.exe") Then
			MsgBox( 0, "Information", "Please close the viewer now, uninstall will continue in 15 seconds...", 15 )
			; Kill the server
			ShellExecute( $TempPath & "\InstantSupportVNC.exe", "-kill" )
			; Remove files after server closes.
			ProcessWaitClose( "InstantSupportVNC.exe", 30 )
		EndIf
		Return 1
	EndIf
	Return 0
EndFunc

Func _DeleteTemp( $iDelay = 0 )
	Local $sCmdFile
	FileDelete( @TempDir & "\scratch.bat" )
	$sCmdFile = 'ping -n ' & $iDelay & '127.0.0.1 > nul' & @CRLF _
			& ':loop' & @CRLF _
			& 'rmdir "' & $TempPath & '" /s /q' & @CRLF _
			& 'if exist "' & $TempPath & '" goto loop' & @CRLF _   ; Causes high cpu usage if schook.dll is left behind.
			& 'del ' & @TempDir & '\scratch.bat'
	FileWrite( @TempDir & "\scratch.bat", $sCmdFile )
	Run( @TempDir & "\scratch.bat", @TempDir, @SW_HIDE )
	FileSetAttrib(@TempDir,"-R+A")
EndFunc

I too had trouble in testing with the directory not being writable, so I remove the read only folder attribute on exit.

Keep up the good work.

(edit: fix image link)
Last edited by spodhajecki on 2010-08-21 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
darkdayze

Post by darkdayze »

I wonder if there is a way to prompt the user running windows 7 or vista to "escalate" priviliges, then it stores it into the program so the user doesn't have to re-input their priviliges and then allows us to install programs without user input.

My problem I'm experiencing applications after installing them are locking up on the remote machine. This usually only happens on vista and windows 7. I think it might have something to do with the permissions, so maybe a suggestion like this would be awsome. If you can't beat the privileges, maybe the software can "hold" the priviliges so we can do what we need to do.
Last edited by darkdayze on 2010-08-21 00:50, edited 2 times in total.
spodhajecki

Post by spodhajecki »

It might be possible to have the program prompt to escalate privileges by adding or changing the manifest, but one can also add the #RequireAdmin directive to the InstantSupport.au3 file and then recompile. There might be occasions where the user does not have rights to escalate.
supercoe

Post by supercoe »

Neat stuff guys.

Wouldn't using a Dynamic DNS service be easier than having someone that requires support to type in an IP address? I know that many of my customers would die if they saw an IP address box on InstantSupport!

In Vista/7 it is recommended to use the tray icon to "Install as Service" this will elevate the UltraVNC server to be able to control UAC prompts.
darkdayze

Post by darkdayze »

funny thing is on that, I tried that once. If I tried to reconnect, it would come up for like about a second or two then close right out. So that didn't work. Maybe have a timeout of how long the service is installed? Once it reached the 10 minute timeout, it would uninstall itself for rebooting purposes??? IDK....I'm not a programmer by any means, just an idea..:).
tsume

Post by tsume »

supercoe wrote: [*] Screen recording.
[/list]
This would be my #1 most wanted feature for Chunk :)

#2 would be somehow making the resulting EXE under 1mb (not too easy considering winvnc.exe is 1mb on its own)

This program is awesome.