Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

ChunkVNC "Fork"

Simple, Free, Open Source UltraVNC Wrapper Supporting Windows and Mac OSX
Zyxyx

Re: ChunkVNC "Fork"

Post by Zyxyx »

Thank you Rat.

Oh, and I agree with B (the release/version numbers can be confusing), except of course if all the good things from both 'branches' can be merged at some point in a not so distant future.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to test your rebrandable version more thoroughly.

Zyxyx
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
ChunkVNC Fork 4.0.0 by Rat
Windows 7 Professional (32 / 64 bits)
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Just a quick question until Rat has time to take a look :

Did anyone manage to make ChunkVNC "Fork" work with the Staff (technicians) list ? And the perl script repeater (modified by Rat) ?

If yes, could you please tell me the Fork version you used, the OS on which you compiled, any extra step you found necessary to make it work, ... ?

Also, could you maybe post your InstantSupportDefs.au3 and any change you made to the repeater script ?

Thank you, I'd really want to use this tool.

Zyxyx
Last edited by Zyxyx on 2011-03-17 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
stylemessiah

Post by stylemessiah »

Okay, so i tried compiling ChunkVNC_3.1k

Still unable to do so, for several reasons:

1) InstantSupportCompileAll.exe fails with reference to #include InstantSupportDefs.au3 which i assume is being called from InstantSupportCompiler.au3 makes reference to InstantSupportDefs.au3, which doesnt exist, but ChunkVNCSupportDefs.au3. This error results in the instantsupportcompiler.exe being deleted, and you then needing to extract it back out of the archive...sheesh

2) After renaming ChunkVNCSupportDefs.au3 to InstantSupportDefs.au3 you get as far as the compile windows where you put in IP's and Ports and then the script opens the server options and then sists there forever, doing absolutely nothing. Upon inspection of InstantSupportCompiler.au3 theres a ton of winwaitactive and sends for key creation, which obviously isnt being done...

3) removing the if then statement for the key check then results in another error:

Error adding file: InstantSupport_Files\logo.jpg

Then following that error it tells me the compilation is complete, but theres no ChunkVNCRemote.exe ever created

again sheesh

should i really have to fix this much of your script...

4) so finally after changing logo.chunkvnc.jpg to logo.jpg.....and changing rc4.ChunkVNC.key to rc4.key and every other file still with chunkvnc in it...no wait some of the icons still need to have chunkvnc in the filename

Dude, please sort this out and let me and everyone else know when you have fixed it, because if thats how many errors there are just trying to build it, how many are there running it?

Ive written 5,000+ lines in some of my autoit scripts and they have been tested before i ever uploaded them. im not saying ive never had a bug in one, but seriously ive never seen that many mistakes in a released autoit script ever.

I would rewrite it and fix it but then thats another fork, and 2 is enough....
Last edited by stylemessiah on 2011-03-23 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Hello stylemessiah,

Did you try to first install 'ChunkVNCRemoteSupport_Install_3.1k.exe', because I think it's supposed to work like that.

When installed, you can make some changes (Repeater ports, ID's, etc.) to 'InstantSupportDefs.au3' in C:\Program Files\ChunkVNC\SRC.

And then, you can use InstantSupportCompileAll.exe and it should compile without any error.

It did for me.

Zyxyx
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
Rat

Post by Rat »

Hey stylemessiah,

Listen to Zyxyx... he's telling you what you need to know.
Did you try to first install 'ChunkVNCRemoteSupport_Install_3.1k.exe', because I think it's supposed to work like that.
It is indeed supposed to "work like that"!

The actual source code was provided for developers to go on with it themselves if they wished to.

In particular, if you are intending DIYing your own release, read the original post [post=66692]here[/post], from the bit where it says "In particular have a close look at the installer script:"...

Cheers,
Rat.
stylemessiah

Post by stylemessiah »

Rat wrote:Hey stylemessiah,

Listen to Zyxyx... he's telling you what you need to know.
It is indeed supposed to "work like that"!

The actual source code was provided for developers to go on with it themselves if they wished to.

In particular, if you are intending DIYing your own release, read the original post [post=66692]here[/post], from the bit where it says "In particular have a close look at the installer script:"...

Cheers,
Rat.
So i have to install a package that will then allow me to edit source code and then compile it?

No thanks. Thats one step too many, you should be able to build form the provided source code.

Ill fix the code myself, i dont particularly want to install a package to do this.
Rat

Post by Rat »

So i have to install a package that will then allow me to edit source code and then compile it?

No thanks. Thats one step too many, you should be able to build form the provided source code.

Ill fix the code myself, i dont particularly want to install a package to do this.
Go for it.... Thats why I included the original source. (Please don't forget to contribute back any improvements you might make).

Oh and the installer script is there as well so that you can create your own installer... if clicking on the installer.exe was a bit too arduous for you ;)
Last edited by Rat on 2011-03-24 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Rat,

Sorry if I bother you but did you find some time to have a look at my problem with the Staff (technicians) list ? Are you using that feature yourself ?

If so, could you give me a clue or post your InstantSupportDefs.au3 and any specific change you made to the repeater script ?

Zyxyx
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
Rat

Post by Rat »

Hi Zyxyx,

I know I promised to take a look at it for you, but I'm just snowed under at the moment. Maybe this weekend...

Cheers,
Rat.
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Hi Rat,

A little "up" as noone else answered.

Could you at least confirm if you are using the Staff (technicians) list feature ?

If so, it would be interesting for anybody if you could provide a working file (InstantSupportDefs.au3) on which we could base our own. Or maybe do we have to modify / personalize another file ?

Thanks again,

Zyxyx
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
Rat

Post by Rat »

Hi Zyxyx,

I've never fully tested the Staff List feature, (it was originally written for a client who never used it). I decided to post it here for other's use.

I promise that I will give it a more thorough going over next week, probably on wednesday.

Cheers,
Rat.

ps. I was just re-reading this thread and was looking over stylemessiah's comments, in particular this one:
Dude, please sort this out and let me and everyone else know when you have fixed it, because if thats how many errors there are just trying to build it, how many are there running it?

Ive written 5,000+ lines in some of my autoit scripts and they have been tested before i ever uploaded them. im not saying ive never had a bug in one, but seriously ive never seen that many mistakes in a released autoit script ever.

I would rewrite it and fix it but then thats another fork, and 2 is enough....
Man what a tool! He never even read the instructions and got himself into all sorts of trouble as a result and then blamed me!
supercoe

Post by supercoe »

Don't let it get to you Rat, forums get that way. ;)
http://www.chunkvnc.com - ChunkVNC - Free PC Remote control with the Open Source UltraVNC wrapper InstantSupport!
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Thanks for your answer, Rat.

I'll wait for next week, then (it could be a new release with UltraVNC 1.0.9.6).

As supercoe noted, don't let some comments hurt your feelings, knowing that you did a great job for the community.

Anybody wants always more, faster and in a more appropriate form for his own needs (including me ;-)). But how to say it is of course very important.

I think (and hope) stylemessiah was just frustrated for losing some time trying to get it to work.

If he can produce an alternative working better for his needs (and maybe for others) and if he contributes back his own code to this forum, then so be it.

And if not, it's not worth getting mad at it...

Zyxyx

P.S. : I know it probably won't hapen, but it would be really cool if, someday, you and supercoe (and ...) could merge your efforts into the ultimate instant support solution based on AutoIt.
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
Rat

Post by Rat »

v3.1l released... with support for the latest UltraVNC version, (v1.0.9.6)

You can download the new version from the following URL:
http://www.vuware.com/chunkvnc/ChunkVNC_3.1l.zip
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Rat,

I just tried your new version and it still doesn't work for me with the StaffList.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong (or not doing something needed) but I don't know what.

When I don't change anything to InstantSupportDefs.au3 except for :
; URLs
Global $RepeaterUrl = 'repeater.shift.be'
Global $WebURL = 'www.shift.be'

The server connection (in ChunkVNCRemote.exe) is always established with the $ConnectId = 123456 (not defined in the StaffList entries) whatever the technician selected... and it's working if I use that ID for the viewer connection (in InstantSupportViewer.exe).

So it seems the problem is that the last check doesn't work :

If Not $StaffList = 0 Then ; Disable $ConnectId if $StaffList defined
$ConnectId = 0
$ConnectIdType = $ConnectIdList
EndIf

Is $StaffList defined to be used by default ?
Do I have to "activate" it in another .au3 file ?
Do I have to modify something in those lines ?

; Define Staff list and their Connection ID's as a global Array. Each entry consists of the following value pair: [<Staff Name>, <Staff ID>]. Note Set $StaffList to 0 to ignore
Global $StaffList[13][2] = _
[ _
['Technician 1', 100001], _
['Technician 2', 100002], _
['Technician 3', 100003], _
['Technician 4', 100004], _
['Technician 5', 100005], _
['Technician 6', 100006], _
['Technician 7', 100007], _
['Technician 8', 100008], _
['Technician 9', 100009], _
['Technician 10', 100010], _
['Technician 11', 100011], _
['Technician 12', 100012], _
['Technician 13', 100013] _
]

Thank you for the time you found for your new release... I really hope I will be able to use it this time.

Zyxyx
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
Rat

Post by Rat »

Hi Zyxyx,

Sorry should have mentioned that the v3.1l release only added support for UltraVNC v1.0.9.6 and didn't address your issue.

However the good news is that your patience has finally been rewarded!

I have just uploaded a patch to make the Staff List work correctly, (also called v3.1l but dated 7th April 2011).

Judging from your last posting I suspect that you would have sorted it out fairly soon anyway since you were very close to solving it yourself.

As you suspected there was a problem with the following line:
If Not $StaffList = 0 Then ; Disable $ConnectId if $StaffList defined
Changing it to the following has fixed the problem:
If $StaffList <> 0 Then ; Disable $ConnectId if $StaffList defined
As to why these two statements are not equivalent I am not so sure... It may be an AutoIt bug, or more likely a failure in my understanding of the syntax.

Enjoy,
Rat.

ps. Some simple installation instructions:
1. Install ChunkVNC by executing ChunkVNCRemoteSupport_Install_3.1l.exe.

2. Edit "C:\Program Files\ChunkVNC\SRC\InstantSupportDefs.au3" and make the following changes:
a) Set the $ServerPort and $RepeaterPort values for your installation.

b) Set the $RepeaterUrl value to your repeater url.

c) Set the $StaffList values for your requirements.

3. Execute C:\Program Files\ChunkVNC\InstantSupportCompileAll.exe to apply your changes to your current installation.
You can of course also do all this in the codebase which is also included in the ChunkVNC_3.1l.zip file and then re-package the installer using the InnoSetup tool and the ChunkVNCRemoteSupport_Install_3.1l.iss script file.
Last edited by Rat on 2011-04-07 03:11, edited 2 times in total.
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Oh yeah !

Thank you Rat (and supercoe, of course), it's finally working (and I would never have figured it out by myself as I am not a coder / developer).

It's good to have it at the same time as UltraVNC 1.0.9.6 and UltraVNC Repeater 2011 2.00 ... what a great combination !

I am leaving the city next week but will test it more thoroughly when I'm back.

Thanks again,

Zyxyx
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
Rat

Post by Rat »

BTW: I changed the screenshot in the initial post of this thread to showcase some of the customisation features of this fork.

Just do a full page refresh, (CTRL-SHIFT-R in FireFox, CTRL-F5 in Explorer), of the following URL to see the image: [post=66692][/post]
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Hello Rat,

Your version is working quite well now.

But I was wondering if you were experiencing the same problem as I do.

In most remote support session, the refresh rate is so slow I have to manually click on the refresh button to see what's changed on the remote screen.

Do you have any idea of what could cause that problem and how I coul solve it ?

Thanks,

Zyxyx
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
Rat

Post by Rat »

Zyxyx wrote:Hello Rat,

Your version is working quite well now.

But I was wondering if you were experiencing the same problem as I do.

In most remote support session, the refresh rate is so slow I have to manually click on the refresh button to see what's changed on the remote screen.

Do you have any idea of what could cause that problem and how I coul solve it ?

Thanks,

Zyxyx
Yeah this is a bug I've noted with Windows 7 and Vista... basically the screen doesn't refresh properly, (I have to keep clicking the Refresh button). I've wondered if its an UltraVNC issue and thats why I upgraded my fork to the latest version, but it didn't help. I was planning to do some more investigating in my next free time. It may also be related to the UltraVNC configuration I am currently using in my fork. I dont know if it happens in the main ChunkVNC release or the UltraVNC release?

I would certainly appreciate any suggestions or clues...
Rat

Post by Rat »

Hi Zyxyx,

I've done a little web sleuthing and as a result I tried re-compiling my fork (using ISTool with "ChunkVNCRemoteSupport_Install_3.1l.iss") and setting the "PollFullScreen=1" setting in "\v3.1l\SRC\InstantSupport_Files\ultravnc.ini". With my limited testing this now appears to work with Windows 7.

Now I'd like to find a way to automate the installation of the video mirror driver using AutoIt, (... feel free to step in here, if you're listening Chunk?)

You can download a test release for this here.

Let me know how you go with it?

Cheers,
Rat.
B

Post by B »

Please make the video driver optional; not only is it not open source, but as far as I know it requires a reboot...
supercoe

Post by supercoe »

Polling the entire screen was a feature in 3.2
Updated InstantSupport polling settings to updated entire screen for more accurate screen updates.
As B stated the mirror driver isn't open source, requires a reboot and had multimonitor issues when I tested.
To many issues for minimum performance increase.

The next big jump in performance will be with nat2nat. :)
http://www.chunkvnc.com - ChunkVNC - Free PC Remote control with the Open Source UltraVNC wrapper InstantSupport!
Rat

Post by Rat »

supercoe wrote:The next big jump in performance will be with nat2nat. :)
Anybody have a Perl script NAT Helper daemon? :)
Zyxyx

Post by Zyxyx »

Hello Rat,

Thanks for looking at it and, even better, for finding that little something that might cause the problem.

I changed the "ultravnc.ini" in C:\Program Files (x86)\ChunkVNC\SRC\InstantSupport_Files (under Windows 7 - 64 bits) and recompiled with "InstantSupportCompileAll.exe".

Is it OK to do it that way or did you change something else ?

I will test this new ChunkVNC Fork and get back to you if I still encounter the problem.

Thanks supercoe to confirm that this parameter could be the issue (I can only hope that there are no other 'improvements' that didn't make it to the last version of the ChunkVNC Fork).

And last thing, even if I don't understand exactly what it could mean for the performance of future versions... hurray for nat2nat ! :)

Zyxyx
UltraVNC 1.1.8.0
tbran6

Post by tbran6 »

Rat, just wondering if a 1.0.9.6.1 version of your mod is in the works, or is it just a simple drop in the v1.0.9.6.1 bin?
Rat

Post by Rat »

Yep there's a new minor release in the pipeline...
tbran6

Post by tbran6 »

nice :)
Rat

ChunkVNC "Fork" v3.1m Released

Post by Rat »

v3.1m released... with support for the latest UltraVNC version, (v1.0.9.6.1)

Also fixed the Vista, Win7 screen refresh issue and added a "Re-run as Administrator" tray menu item, (if not currently running as an administrator), as per Chunk's feature of the same name...

You can download the new version from the following URL:
http://www.vuware.com/chunkvnc/ChunkVNC_3.1m.zip

Installation Instructions Here:
https://forum.ultravnc.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17342
ahinson

Post by ahinson »

I recently made an attempt to move from ChunkVNC 3.1 to the Rat "Fork" version because many of the changes Rat has made thus far are quite attractive. Kudos to you Rat.

After making some modifications to suit my needs (I need the form to display the connection ID) and compiling the "3.1m fork" I began functionality testing and soon hit a wall. It seems that due to the introduction of GDI+ to draw the connection ID labels the "3.1m fork" version won't work with any version of Windows < Windows XP/2003. At least not without first installing the GDI+ redistributable, which is often a rather large hurdle to leap since you're probably already working with someone who's less than computer savvy. Unfortunately for me, this was a deal breaker since many of our customers still run Windows 2000 and a few with 98 - despite my constant prodding to upgrade.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

Perhaps this should be noted as a disclaimer on the front page of this thread?
I may repackage things with the gdiplus.dll included ... or try ChunkVNC 3.2 instead.

Please, share your thoughts on this...

Thanks.