Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Autoreconnect to multiple viewers

theo100

Autoreconnect to multiple viewers

Post by theo100 »

I like the autoreconnect function, but how can i autoreconnect to multiple viewers? i tried to ad ip addresses in various ways but this does not work.
Is this even possible?
B

Re: Autoreconnect to multiple viewers

Post by B »

Which side is initiating the connection? If each viewer station is initiating the connection to the server, then the autoreconnect feature on the viewer side should handle everything, I think...

Also, [topic=27927][/topic]
Last edited by B on 2011-04-14 14:49, edited 2 times in total.
theo100

Post by theo100 »

In my case the server is handling the connections. All the commands in the link you gave and in WinVNC command line options are for the server side.
To test i tried to setup the viewer (in listen mode) for autoreconnect but this does not work (not even one viewer). i use the same commands as on the server side, perhaps this is not correct? If the viewer can initiate the connection that would solve my problem!
YY

Post by YY »

theo100 wrote:If the viewer can initiate the connection that would solve my problem!
The viewer is absolutely able to initiate a connection to the vnc server.

The syntax is something like:

Code: Select all

vncviewer -autoreconnect 5 -connect xx.xx.xx.xx

You can see more detail at UVNC site, at:
http://www.uvnc.com:8080/docs/uvnc-viewer.html

(near the bottom, there is the description of the UltraVNC Viewer Commandline Parameters

Another option you may consider is using the .vnc file (which is used to save the connection information). See this thread for a reference:
[topic=18118][/topic]
B

Post by B »

Just to be perfectly clear, having the viewer initiate a connection is the <b>default, normal</b> way of using VNC.

You'd only use reverse connections (initiated by the server) for special purposes (usually to avoid having to forward ports at the server PC's router/firewall).
theo100

Post by theo100 »

Did a lot of testing, also to get the service to autoreconnect (see the topic Bug: Autoreconnect function broken on 1.0.9.6). after many attempts i can autoconnect the service to a viewer in listen mode. But... the service can only connect to one viewer, if i add another line in the .ini file it is ignored. Also it is not possible to make a viewer in listen mode autoreconnect to the service, this never worked for me.
I would be helped if the service can make a conection with multiple viewers in listen mode or multiple viewers in listen mode can autoreconnect to the service. Suggestions anybody?
B

Post by B »

I'd like to help but I still don't understand why the viewers need to be in listen mode?

Why can't your viewers connect (and reconnect) normally?

You can leave them constantly trying to reach the server, and when the server is available, they will get connected...

Is it because of a firewalling issue at the server side so that you can only make outbound connections from the server?

Edit: Or maybe this is why -- [post=86172][/post]
Last edited by B on 2011-04-27 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
theo100

Post by theo100 »

B,

The reason i want the viewers in listen mode is because if a viewer is ran as application the program is terminated if there is an interruption for more than 10 seconds or so in the network. In listen mode the program will keep running and trying to reconnect.
If i could make the viewers autoreconnect to the server in listen mode, i also can avoid the multiple instances (viewer) which are sometimes made when the server attempts to reconnect.
I try to make the links as robust as possible (and self healing) because the network is wireless with possibilities of short interruptions.
If this works Uvnc can be a very nice wireless KVM matrix switch! The possibilities are (almost ;) endless.
YY

Post by YY »

Hi! theo100,

In considering the Autoreconnect function of VNCviewer, I will say, there should be two aspects that the Viewer may implement the Autoreconnect:

1. To establish a connection with Autoreconnect
  That is something similar to a mobile phone, when you dial to a contact no., and unable to be connected, then your phone Auto-redial that no., again (and again) until got connected.
  The VNCviewer doesn't have this function.

2. To Autoreconnect an established connection that Dropped Unexpectedly
  So when talking with someone with your mobile phone, and the conversation is interrupted with some nosiy signal, and after a few seconds the communication is recovered. In this scenario, the communication is probably dropped at that moment, and is Autoreconnected by your mobile phone (but not auto-redial).
  The Autoreconnect of VNCviewer is doing such job.

In another post, I had tried to explained what I know on VNCviewer Autoreconnect. If you are interested, you may read it at [topic=28011]VNCviewer’s AutoReconnect Characteristics[/topic]

I had thinked of this problem long ago, and had derived an workaround to make the VNCviewer able to establish connection with auto retrial. You may read this thread [topic=15527]VNCviewer to Repeater AutoReconnect Feature[/topic] for a reference.

In that thread, I was talking about a viewer auto-connect to a repeater, but is very easy to modify the batch file for the purpose of auto-connect to a server directly. Here is the code:
@echo off

rem ===== Following Code check if the vncviewer-sp.exe is alreading running ======
tasklist | find /i "vncviewer-sp.exe" >nul
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :LOOP_BGN
nircmdc.exe infobox "Another Session Is Running Already!" "VNCviewer-Repeater AutoReconnection"
goto :END

:LOOP_BGN
rem ===== Following Code Check the status of vncviewer-sp.exe for every 7 second
rem ===== If the vncviewer-sp.exe is not running, start it.
nircmdc.exe wait 7000
tasklist | find /i "vncviewer-sp.exe" >nul
if ERRORLEVEL 1 nircmdc.exe exec show "vncviewer-sp.exe" -config config-sp.vnc

rem ===== Following statement shows another method to start the vncviewer-sp.exe,
rem ===== if you don't want to use a .vnc file.
rem if ERRORLEVEL 1 nircmdc.exe exec show "vncviewer-sp.exe" -connect host_name -nostatus .....

rem ==== The next statement check if the "VNCViewer Message Box" appear,
rem ==== if this happened means the connection to server is broken,
rem ==== then close it (this make the vncviewer-sp.exe terminate too, loopback to start again
nircmdc.exe wait 2000
nircmdc.exe win close title "VNCViewer Message Box"
goto :LOOP_BGN

:END
Last edited by YY on 2011-04-28 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
B

Post by B »

This kind of feature is essential in order to replicate the always-available LogMeIn/GoToMyPC style of functionalty. I hope Rudi chooses to incorporate your thoughts on this, YY, but from what I read it doesn't sound as if he intends to ??
YY

Post by YY »

I can't tell, Rudi has not commented on this.

I do understand there are a lot of improvements/features that we want to be available on UltraVNC, but the developer may have other idea or consideration.

For me, I just want to post on the forum about what the problem/charactistic I found on UVNC --- treating as a documentation purpose; and any solution/workaround that I can think of that may be useful to other users.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

In 10961 i only want to fix bugs.

Things that need to be changed or are deeper in the source need to wait
for 1097. If i start adding stuff, you get new bugs and it's a never ending story...

Keep them in mind and post it when 1097 startup.
Last edited by Rudi De Vos on 2011-04-28 20:55, edited 1 time in total.