Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Virtual Server's UltraVNC doesn't accept password?

JamaicanPearl

Virtual Server's UltraVNC doesn't accept password?

Post by JamaicanPearl »

Hey :-)

I use many different versions of ultravnc on my computers since years and am very happy with the program. But now I'm trying out the 1.0.9.6 with some new configuration and have some problem about it and no more idea what the problem could be.

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit with Hyper-V where I have a UltraVNC-Server Version 1.0.9.6 with SecureVNCPlugin, I connect via Port 5900 and UltraVNC viewer of the same version which works quite fine.
Now I installed a virtual machine on this host, using Windows Server 2003 32 bit and the same UltraVNC-Server-version and SecureVNCPlugin again, only on Port 5901 as both servers are running behind the same firewall. I can connect to the new UltraVNC-Server but when I enter the password, I'm asked for it again and again, just like it was wrong. But I'm sure it isn't as I changed the password some times and also tried copy + paste.

Is there anything else I have to do? It's enough to allow Port 5901 on the firewall, isn't it? Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you very much for your help!

Tina
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Re: Virtual Server's UltraVNC doesn't accept password?

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Passwords are saved via runas, the default of this popup is not to allow to make changes.
[v] uncheck
If desktop user is a domain admin, and profiles prevent the system to imersonate that user
you don't have permission and passwd is never saved.

workaround:
Run as application to set passwxd
Copy ultravnc.ini from 2008 to 2003
use the uvnc_settings to set the passwd ( this always run as application)
JamaicanPearl

Post by JamaicanPearl »

Run as application to set passwxd
doesn't work, same prob as before
doesn't work, same prob as before
doesnt work, as now, ultravnc decides to use 5900 as port. When I change this in the ini to 5901 it is shown right in the uvnc_setting, but in the application itself when I look at "admin properties" it is 5900 again...
JamaicanPearl

Post by JamaicanPearl »

ok, now i did all the configuration in win2008 and copied the ultravnc.ini to win2003 and did not use a plugin, that worked.
then I configured the plugin in win2003 and now I have the same problem as before...
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Crazy...
Most of the test are done via virtualpc

How do you configure the plugin ?
key
password
none
YY

Post by YY »

JamaicanPearl wrote:ok, now i did all the configuration in win2008 and copied the ultravnc.ini to win2003 and did not use a plugin, that worked.
then I configured the plugin in win2003 and now I have the same problem as before...
I don't have a system to verify, but I notice the Win2008 is 64bit OS, while the Win2003 inside the VM is 32 bit.

What versions of UltraVNC & SecureVNC were used at the two ends ?
JamaicanPearl

Post by JamaicanPearl »

plugin is configured like this:

client autentification key
passphrase

UltraVNC version is allways the same: 1.0.9.6 for win32
plugin version is 2.3.0.0
I realized that the version of the plugin used on the win2008 is the 64bit version which could maybe cause problems? but up to now it works fine?

additionally, since I copied the code to the client machine, host machine sometimes looses the connection - once when I tried to connect there was something written like ID is already in use or so... maybe copying causes more problems?
I don't have a system to verify, but I notice the Win2008 is 64bit OS, while the Win2003 inside the VM is 32 bit.
Indeed - do you think that's a problem? (why?)
Usually running sth 32bit on a 64 bit machine should be ok? (and I never experienced problems because of that before?)
YY

Post by YY »

Since the Win2003 inside the VM is 32 bit, then obvious you had 32bit UVNCserer + 32bit SecureVNC installed.

For the Win2008, you may have 64bit viewer + 64bit SecureVNC, then the connection will be:

Viewer (64bit) + SecureVNC (64bit) -----> Server (32bit) + SecureVNC (32bit)

or you may have:

Viewer (32bit) + SecureVNC (32bit) -----> Server (32bit) + SecureVNC (32bit)

I don't have any 64bit OS, so I can't test the first situation.

The second situation is what I had use sometime, but never encountered the problem you reported.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Please change the exe with the 10961 version, 1096 had many bugs.
You simple can replace the vncviewer and winvnc exe.

To eliminate the cause
1)Can you try without a key...
2)Can you try without a passphase, then uvnc passwd is used.
JamaicanPearl

Post by JamaicanPearl »

Sorry I didn' answer sooner but I was in hospital because of an accident.

I rebooted the server today, now the ultravnc doesn't work any more at all any more at all on the virtual machine. Same problem as before... I really need the connection soon now. :surprise: (And I'm still not too qick running around between server's room and office all the time for checking with my still damaged leg... :( )
Where should I change the version? On the Server or on the client?
JamaicanPearl

Post by JamaicanPearl »

Ok I updated both, server and client, but nothing changed, same problem as before...
JamaicanPearl

Post by JamaicanPearl »

No idea?
B

Post by B »

Let's forget this has anything to do with virtualization, because it doesn't. You have a Windows UltraVNC server that won't work or remember its settings.

I think you need to uninstall it, remove any UltraVNC directories, remove (or at least disable) VNC services, remove any existing UltraVNC.ini files, and remove UltraVNC and "ORL" registry hives. Then reinstall UltraVNC from scratch, and make sure to do it as an administrative user with all necessary UAC escalations. Run it in service mode and give it an initial password when it requests one. There are a few FAQs on Vista/Win7 compatibility that you should probably review.
JamaicanPearl

Post by JamaicanPearl »

Thank you B, that helps - allthough I'm not sure why the UltraVNC doesn't work on windows 2003 either, there is no UAC there? (And of course I installed UltraVNC as admin)
JamaicanPearl

Post by JamaicanPearl »

I only wanted to inform you that I tried installing UltraVNC 1.0.9.2 on both OS again and again but always ended up with the same problem, that changes of the password weren't given to the service. So I used the application up to now, but that's not the solution I would prefer.

Therefore, I tried some more deinstallations and installations today, which again failed. So I finally installed the older version 1.0.8.2 which I use on all my other servers, too and always did good work. This seems to work fine on both OS on the new server, too, so I will use this. Maybe you really think about having another look on you new version -I really did my best, sorry.