Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

pchelpware rc3

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

pchelpware rc3

Post by Rudi De Vos »

http://www.uvnc.eu/download/pchw2

Changes:

access server:
Using a custom access server value was not added to the created SC, making it hard to test.

Custom text:Added check to see if buffer is big enough, when custom text> buffer -->crop
Fixed balloon0 value wasn't used
Empty splash also remove this popup.
Added ok,cancel,about,exit

small left pane (viewer)
Left pane is to small, make it resizable.

uac (sc)
Fixed restore error with DisAUC

Empty hostname="" Fixed (service)

---------------------
pchelpwareS.ini
----------------------
[pchelpware]
color1=2919533
color2=16711680
Hostname=6MZ5P9YTCZ056SL1123456789123456789123456789
Groupid=MYGROUPOFMIN16CHARS
M-server=216.55.178.47
M-server2=62.212.66.133
About=About
Ok=Ok
Cancel=Cancel
Exit=Exit
splash0=
splash1=
splash2=Waitinégą remote answer...
splash3=
splash4=Initiaélizinąg Encryption
splash5=Waitinég remąote connection...
splash6=Encryéption faąiled, check passwd...
splash7=Conneéctioąn closed
splash8=Pchelpware Server v2
splash9=Startéinąg....
Balloon0=You écan cląose the connection anytime by selecting exit.
Balloon1=Selecté exiąt to close application
Wtsmesg=Accept Remote access
DisAUC=1
[ultravnc]
server=0265456161
-------------------------------------------------------
DisAUC=1 (1= DIsable UAC for admin, while SC active)
M-server (access server)
M-server2 (access server)
Waddz

Re: pchelpware rc3

Post by Waddz »

These Installers error??

Cabinet file corrupt etc :|
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Try again, can't detect an error in the files...possible browser cached partial files
bdn

Post by bdn »

OK...
1: Finally got it to work with a remote XP pc (Single Click server package).
Am I correct to say that it will NOT work with Win Server 2003?
also will not work with virtual PC (that is 2 pc's running on the same computer)?

Or is it an issue of a port still being blocked?

2: Re bugs: When setting up a new server the field TabOrder (or zOrder) is not sequential. I prefer tabbing from field to field. The 2nd access server (in the middle of the page) is at the end of the order so the cursor jumps around in excess.

3: Using the Server/service install: If the server doesn't connect the .msi installer doesn't not exit.
ALSO: If you have to run the .msi again, the REPAIR option throws an error and stops. (UNINSTALL option seems to work correctly.)

This is going to be a GREAT tool. THANK YOU!! for creating it. I wouldn't mind paying for the others but some of them lack features and seem overpriced. Thanks! -Wes
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

The App is OS independed.
I tested it with win7 (x86/x64) win8 preview , xp in virtual pc and the OS hosting the virtualPC

Both OS need to be able to connect to the access server, and the access server need to be able to replay.
If server and viewer use the same nat router ( connect is made between the internal ip addresses, if nat router differ
connection is made between the natrouters who direct it to the internal pc's.

With all firewall and other security applications it's hard to tell what need to be done. Where is it blocking...
Do you see the server, does the p2p fail

I will check 2 and 3, the repair/uninstall behaviour can't be changed, it's controled by msi engine.
bdn

Post by bdn »

New Tests.

Here is how the last couple of days went.... nevermind, too long and boring...
Here are the results:

Finally discovered that there is something odd about my new laptop... It has too many drivers for the wireless card (or something). A diagnostic for another day.

I used another, a usb wireless adapter and a direct cable....

CONNECT!!

Then I discovered that VBOX (virtual pc) by default set up a host-to-virtual pc NAT. So V-pc was on a NAT connected to my pc and mine on the public NAT.
Once I got it on the same NAT everything worked with it as well.

NOTE: The issue was, (and may still be under some circumstances) the servers show up in the viewer. During the 'setup p2p' the icons blink for a while then just stop, no errors, no 'x' password icon. It just stopped trying to connect and went back to red-pc icon.
Everything else looked good on both ends. (An info message or log entry somewhere might be a good thing.)

--------------------------------------

Questions: Will software work if the server is NOT behind a NAT? Can it still process the handshake?

How many open desktops can a viewer operate? It seems to be a little slower when I had 2 servers behind the same NAT open at the same time.

Is it possible to run the viewer from a USB drive?

SUGGESTIONS:
I prefer to not right-click. I prefer even more to use hot keys. It would be nice to have icons or hot keys to open a desktop after selecting it in the menu tree. (Thanks)

One thing that seems a little confusing is that you can sometimes see more than one group but you can only really operate one group at a time and the password isn't actually for the 'group' when you login or change viewer settings (was a little mis-leading at first try).
Anyway it would be nice to access, or see all the groups, in case I am working issues from multiple clients (segregated by GROUP) at the same time.

Thanks!! Very nice tools.

Wes
bdn

Post by bdn »

NOT CONNECTING ISSUE:
I have clients in 2 different towns. Each town has a different DSL provider.
When my laptop is connected to the same provider as the client PC, the p2p process connects without a problem.
When I try to connect to a PC that is in the other town (where I currently am NOT present), I am unable to connect.
Just like above, the icons blink for 30 seconds or so, then just stop blinking (go back to red).

The access server seems to being doing great because ALL of the PC clients appear in my viewer no matter which town I am in. They just won't go p2p unless I am in the same area.

This could be as simple as a time out issue. But if you like I could monitor the ports. Please recommend a utility that would effectively capture the port activity?

Wes
kerridge

Post by kerridge »

Hi

More feedback

1) I have some trouble testing this system because when I install pchelpware v2, pchelpware v1 stops working. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.. Is there any way to change it so they both can work at the same time?? This usually happens when pchelpwarev2 service doesn't work. Have to use join.me to sort it out!

2) Could there be a problem if there is double-nat at one of the sites? I find sometimes I just can't get a p2p connection (even though I've disabled my vpn connections, password etc.)

Thanks
shahram

Post by shahram »

I have been having a difficult time making this work,

Viewer : Win7 64.
Client1: same pc of the viewer
Client2: windows xp pro (local inside vmware)
Client3: windows 2003 server (remote)
Client4: windows xp pro (local)
All firewalls and antiviruses are off

Initial tests:
After setting up the server, I "set password" from the viewer and try to "Setup P2P",
- no problems connecting to the same pc as the viewer
- with the remote pc ,vmware pc and the local pc if the server tray is running i can see "initializing connection.." => "connection closed" when trying "stop" & "setup", but at the end it fails to connect

Then I downloaded the access server and tried to run it from my own pc (same as the viewer, no firewall, direct access to internet)
- then the remote pc (windows 2003) started working with no problems,
- but the vmware pc & the local pc are still not connecting with the same symptoms, debug log shows "test LAN DETECTED" and then after a while "test NAT PUNCH FAILED"

Questions :
1. if I want to run the access server behind a router which ports should I forward (5352,5351)?
2. can the access server address be given as domain name instead of ip address (eg when ip is dynamic)
truck0321

Post by truck0321 »

This is a great tool, thank you. I've got a couple of questions and comments.

I've noticed that file transfer only works from the viewer to the server and not the other way. No file is transferred the other way and the chat service actually exits.

I don't see the option for Upnp on the viewer, is this automatic now or not implemented?

How can I tell if my connection is actually server->viewer and not server->repeater->viewer? I am using the repeater at uvnc.com for testing and in rc3 it seems there is no way to specify the connection type. Is it automatic or is the uvnc repeater set to only accept direct connections?

Is there a way to create an SC by command line?

Thanks for your hard work!
just4fun73de

Post by just4fun73de »

Hi!

I tested the rc3 with Win7 (Server) and WinXP (access-server and Viewer). Everything working well except UAC.

The server is running as service. The windows user don't have administrator rights.

Is pchelpware not supporting the UAC-prompt in general ?

When I replace pchelpware with Ultra-VNC (Server/Viewer) and the server is running as a service, I got an UAC prompt.

How can I get these UAC-prompt working with pchelpware ?

Thx a lot for any ideas.

Alex
just4fun73de

Post by just4fun73de »

... me again.

Can anybody tell me if pchelpware2 support the uac prompt ?

If so,
- how do I configure the client/server/windows for uac?
- is it possible to make a direct connection from the client to the server without a repeater as is supported in the previous version ?

If not,
- are there plans for uac support in the future ?

Thx

Alex
liftess

Post by liftess »

Hi!

Great News to see this new version of PcHelpware.

I have downloaded the pchelpware rc3 on Windows 7 64 for take remote admin on Windows XP/7/2003/2008/2008R2.
I have some problem to take control on pcs running Windows 7 in non administrative right (prompt of UAC) and on 2003, 2008 and 2008 R2 the program doesn't start.
I'm using a personnal access_server.

Why Pchelpware doesn't start on Windows server 2003, 2008 and 2008R2 ?
How can I passtrough over UAC prompt ?

Thanks
kerridge

Post by kerridge »

more ideas/issues:-

- idea: "task-oriented approach" from right click menu choose things like:-
  • setup p2p and open desktop
    setup p2p and open desktop and notify (keeps trying for 10 minutes or so, then prog takes focus or taskbar notify when completed - useful after reboots)
    setup p2p and start chat
- issue: lag: remote control seems to be slower than pchelpware v1
- issue: mouse pointer: sometimes the mouse pointer is a little bit to the left of what it should be
djSupport

Post by djSupport »

A possible bug or issue to some people...
when creating a SC underneath the "Starting..." box there is "PCHelpWare V2 Server" this mainly due to the font is not to my personal liking so I have incorporated the text into the background image just like the "Access code" etc part yet if you leave that box empty so as to not display any text when your run the SC it crashes on windows 7!

Perhaps an opportunity to choose if you want a certain text to appear if not then continue without it :)
Brink

Post by Brink »

Hello,
This looks like a really cool and quite useful software. I have used UvncSC for a few years now, but I like the direction this is headed.

Strange thing though is When running a server in service mode, connection happens just fine and software works great as long as no password is set. When password is set though connection fails. Reports encryption failed.
(yes I did delete pchelpware.ini on the viewer and set the passwords and group IDs the same on the server and the viewer) Created SCs with passwords seem to work just fine.

I noticed in this thread: http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.ph ... c42f8c6a66 that Rudi De Vos was informing us that lots of users don't use a password. Could this be why? He was also warning us to be sure and set passwords.

Is the server really that insecure with no password given that a sufficiently lengthy (strong) group ID is used? Almost impossible to guess a super long group ID compsed of a crazy character sequence. I mean the connection is still encrypted right?

Is there some length or character/number combination required in the password field to get the service mode server to run correctly with a password set?

Again, I like this software. Just need to be sure that it is reasonably secure before using it in the real world.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

the viewer has multiple passwords.

1) global to save viewer settings, this has nothing todo with the server password it used
to encrypt the viewer config file.

2) passwords set via right click on server icon, the server(s) password(s).

Are you testing by setting password 2)
SaliesBuzz

Post by SaliesBuzz »

A note for Rudi,

I have been experimenting with PC Helpware V2 RC3 for the last couple of weeks, and I think the interface and usability are very good from both the viewer and server ends.

I have hit a problem in trying to use our own access server, there is no problem in connecting to the default servers provided by yourselves, this only occurs when I am trying to use an access server running either on our own network, or on another network using a different wide area network address. In either of the last two cases the server client connection fails with the message "Nat hole punch failed". The viewer connection sees the access server with no problems and the server client obviously does as it starts connecting. I can see the inbound connection attempt using the debug log, it correctly shows that it is a wide area connection and then stalls until finally showing "Nat hole punch failed". I have tried every permutation I can think of from both the router and computer end including:
1 Disabling all firewalls on both router and computer running access server and viewer
2 Putting the access server in a DMZ
3 Putting the Viewer in a DMZ

Any ideas what this might be?

Also, I see that the access server must always be an actual WAN IP address and not a name. Any plans to support this as it would make life a lot easier and enable Dynamic DNS services to be used to resolve the WAN IP address. In the meantime I have cobbled together a command script that calls NSLookup to resolve the Domain to a WAN IP and then puts the correct IP address in the pchelpwareS.ini file.

I am keen to use this software, as I have always preferred the concept of the reverse connection, (as with PC Helpware v1), that requires no router configuration, (especially important at the client end), and has good session security.

Kind regards
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

access server need to be on another network and require a direct internet connection.
It doesn't work if it run on the same network as the server or viewer.

If the access server is on the same network as the server/viewer he sees the local ip address and not the wan ip adress
of the router. This doesn't work as a local ip is unuséble for nat punshing.
SaliesBuzz

Post by SaliesBuzz »

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I think that I had already worked out that the access server needs to be on a separate different network. This is where I currently have it (i.e. it sits on a totally different WAN IP address to the server or viewer). I am still getting NAT Hole Punch fail errors and that is why I was asking my original question.

To be precise, what exactly do you mean by "a direct internet connection".

Does this mean that a computer behind a NAT modem/router will not work as an access server even if it is in a DMZ?

Do you mean that the access server computer itself is directly connected to the internet via an ADSL modem only connection, (i.e. Router in Bridge Mode).

During my testing I had the Access Server running on a computer that was attached to a router which runs a VPN to another country. This seemed to work in that the Viewer saw any attempted connections as being WAN and not LAN, but the NAT Hole Punch still fails.

To summarise my current position is:
Access Server connected behind a NAT Modem Router on a different WAN Internet Connection, (albeit the same Service Provider), which has the Access Server explicitly placed in a DMZ
Server and Viewer are on different WAN Internet Connections behind NAT Router/Modems and both can see the Access Server
NAT Hole Punch Fails

Any other suggestions?

Kind regards
enricoe

Post by enricoe »

hello,
do you remove the last version on http://www.uvnc.eu/download/pchw2 ??

I receive a 403 Forbidden
Thank you
vinyla

Post by vinyla »

Hi,
Where I can download pchelpware rc3, that link doesn't work (saying need to login):
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/pchw2
wilder

Post by wilder »

Is this project still supported? I cannot download pvhw2 listed at the top of this post (the message says forbidden). I am trying to use v2, and am having a hard time understanding the setup process. I think I would like to set up an access server, but cannot make it work with v2, I see that the server settings are included with the latest rc, this might make life a little easier for me. Also, it would really be cool if someone would write a "for dummies" manual for this product. If I could get this working, I would be willing to pay for it.
vinyla

Post by vinyla »

This forum site is not in order. Your link in top doesn't work, you share me a link for older program. So i cant understand PcHelpWare is free or how? if you not wish give me a new version, say me: i cant give you new version because you are new or some thing like this.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

A forum is not a webpage.
Links change, old message stays the same.
All info can be found on this webpage ( this is still the same as 3 messages ago)
http://www.uvnc.com/products/pchelpware ... v2rc1.html
vinyla

Post by vinyla »

But there is old version of PcHelpWare and this link doesn't work http://www.uvnc.eu/download/pchw2, so where I can download and test new 2014 version??? :-?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

There are no 2014/2013 updates
pchelpware v3 was from 2012, possible i do some updates this year, depend on the time.

There is only some newer software that's based on the same engine.
http://forum.ultravnc.net/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=30848

http://www.uvnc.eu/download/pchw2/ doesn't work as directory listing has been disabled for security.
On the bottom if the page
http://www.uvnc.com/products/pchelpware ... v2rc1.html
you see all your links

-----------------Info----------------------------
access_server.exe: Same bin that's running on our 2 access servers, replave default server ip by the ip
of your own server to test

PCHelpWareV2.msi: Viewer with buildin server ( server is extracted when you create an sc)
PCHelpWareV2Server.msi Server only, install as service
---------------------------------------------
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/pchw2/PCHelpWareV2.msi
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/pchw2/PCHel ... Server.msi
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/pchw2/access_server.exe