Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

File Transfer icon for UltraVNC Viewer

Any features you would like to see in UltraVNC? Propose it here
GraemeEvans2

File Transfer icon for UltraVNC Viewer

Post by GraemeEvans2 »

We recently upgraded to Version 1.2.1.1 as part of re-installing UltraVNC onto a new Windows 10 notebook.

In my first session with a client (using Single-Click), I discovered that the file transfer icon was no longer present in the toolbar at the top of the viewer window. I assumed that Windows 10 had some security 'improvement' that blocked UltraVNC's file transfer facility, and it was therefore not offered in the toolbar. I have since upgraded to Version 1.2.1.2, and this is still the case. So for the last month or so, I have had to resort to other mechanisms to transfer files to and from various clients.

However, yesterday my colleague somehow accidentally right-clicked in the viewer's title bar during a remote session, and was offered a popup menu that contained the File Transfer facility. I get the same on my Windows 10 notebook. (Great!!!)

However, a hidden menu like that is not at all intuitive !!! I wonder how many other users have upgraded to recent versions and been stymied by this same change to the UI.

Please add the File Transfer icon back into the Tool Bar ASAP.

Thanks,
Graeme Evans
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Re: File Transfer icon for UltraVNC Viewer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Strange, need to verify it, we do not want hidden menu's in an app as vnc.

1.2.1.2 -> rfb 3.8
SC still use rfb 3.3

Normal, the toolbar buttons for not compatible parts are invisable....

Realy strange... what version of SC are you using.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Looks like you want to say, the context menu. ( right click caption bar).
This is no hidden thing but the standard viewer menu.
See
http://www.uvnc.com/docs/uvnc-viewer/71-viewer-gui.html

The issue seems to be that.
The buttons and the contex options are not consistent. Correct ?
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

This issue might be kind of related to this topic... Use UltraVNC to connect to a remote PC that is not logged in. The remote PC requires CTRL-ALT-DEL and a password to log in. If I don't log in, I can click on the File Transfer button and when the File Transfer window opens, listed over the right side, "Remote PC" drive tree, is says: "Warning: File Transfer is Disabled on the Remote Machine". If I click the "X" in the top right corner of the File Transfer window, nothing happens. If I click the box in the top left of the File Transfer window, the items listed are grayed out, including the ALT-F4 Close entry. Pressing ALT-F4 does nothing. I can right click on the File Transfer icon on the task bar and left click on "Close" and the File Transfer window will close. If the remote PC is logged on when I open File Transfer window then the "X" or ALT-F4 keys work as expected. Thanks for listening.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

File transfer impersonate the desktop user... no desktop user -> impersonation fail -> no FT

You can disable the impersonation for FT ( server option), in that case the FT is done as admin (system).
Possible thid work with no desktop user.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

That sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Thank you!
To make sure... Untravnc.ini ...
(edited)
FileTransferEnabled=1
FTUserImpersonation=0
and File Transfer will work with no user logged on. Is that right?
Does this setting have any side effects (change anything other than File Transfer)?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Please test if it also works when no user is logged. It should but as it is not something a lot of people use...

Only impact is how the FT (server part) behave.

It run as system
+high system permission, you can overwrite system files
+no remote drive mapping, mapping is always done with user permission
+The special home/doc/desktop folders doesn't exist without a user
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

I got a chance to test this out fully yesterday.
1) The FTUserImpersonation= setting does not make any difference if a user is not logged in on the remote PC. FT does not work and the FT window can not be closed without using the task bar icon.
2) If the user is logged on but the desktop is locked to require the C-A-D keys, the setting: FTUserImpersonation=0 does allow FT to work. The remote FT window still shows the "Desktop", "Documents" and "Network" entries, but they are just empty and lead nowhere. However, I can access C: drive (or any other existing drive) and transfer files. The FT window can be closed with all the normal methods.
3) If the user is logged on but the desktop is locked, the setting: FTUserImpersonation=1 does not allow FT to work and the FT window can not be closed without using the task bar icon.
So I guess my request will be to get the "X" and ALT-F4 buttons/keys to work when I open the FT window for a PC that is not logged on or is locked at the desktop. Until then I will likely change the ini to have the line FTUserImpersonation=0 so, at least on locked PCs, the close keys will work on the FT window.
Thanks for the help.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

I have been downloading and testing all the test and update versions 1.2.1.3 through 1.2.1.6. I downloaded the winvnc1216Test file yesterday. Note: the version of the files still hows 1.2.1.2. It looks like the Close, Alt-F4 and "X" buttons still don't work in the File Transfer window if the user is not logged on the PC or if the PC is locked at the desktop. I found that the FTUserImpersonation=0 setting makes it too time consuming when I am trying to get the the user's desktop so I have changed that setting back to FTUserImpersonation=1 for my 600+ installs. I guess I am back to my original request that the "X" and ALT-F4 buttons/keys work on the FT window for a PC that is not logged on or is locked at the desktop.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Making the X work should be possible, but for Filetransfer you have choose.

Impersonate = 1:
you are the desktop user, and can access all that users shares and shortcuts like desktop, documents
Impersonate = 0
Run as system
You can only access local disks and need to manual go to the user desktop/documents

Let's check if it's an easy fix
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Corrected
During filetansfer the X should be disabled to avoid file corruption.
But when you can't transfer the function need to disable the send buttons but keep the X open.
Fixed
Test upload
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/1215/vncviewer_X.zip
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

I downloaded and tested the vncviewer_X.zip viewer. I got mixed results. At home, Windows 10 Home, 64bit, 12Gb, I used VPN to connect to my work PC. When the remote PC (work PC) is logged on but locked at the CTRL-ALT-DEL unlock screen, the "X" on the File Transfer menu seems to be active (it lights up when I move the mouse pointer over the "X") however, it does not work. It will not close the File Transfer window. If I look in the menu (top left corner of the File Transfer window), the Close Alt-F4 is grayed out. At work, windows 7 Pro, 64bit. I tested by connecting to a remote PC that was logged off and connecting to a PC that was logged on but locked at the Ctrl-Alt-Del unlock screen. The "X" on the File Transfer window seems to be grayed out and inactive. It does not light up when the mouse moves over the "X". I found out I can click on the File Transfer Window's "X" as soon as the FT window opens, before the program sees that the remote PC is locked, I can close the File Transfer Window. The same applies to the ALT-F4 key. I would like the File Transfer window's "X" to remain active unless a file transfer is in progress, regardless of whether the remote PC is logged on, logged off or locked at the C-A-D screen.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Strange, i also tested it
-service
-no user logged on

Wil check it again, if correct file was added and your test case.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

I redownloaded the Zip to make sure I had tested the correct version of the program. The program shows version 1.2.1.2 which matches the Properties/Details data and the modified date is 2/2/2017. I did some more testing. Connecting from my laptop (Win10 Home) to my home desktop (Win7 Home) and the FT window will close even if the remote PC is locked at the C-A-D window. Immediately after this I used VPN to connect to my work PC (Win7 Pro) and the FT window shows "WARNING" File Transfer is Disabled on the Remote Machine". The "X" will light up, but will not close the window. It might be caused by the VPN connection or the delays caused by the internet connection. I will retest more at work. All work PCs are Pro version, 7, 8.1 and 10. All PCs are running VNC as a service. All PCs are running the latest test versions of the other files 1.2.1.4 and 1.2.1.5 that have been released (except my home desktop, which is probably running an older version of the program).
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

I uploaded wrong file.. date should be 2017/06/07.
Don't test with this one, i gonna try to make a full build this weekend ( zip/setup)
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

OK. That explains why I was seeing several things that had already been fixed in some of the other updates. I look forward to the update package. :D
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

I have downloaded and began testing. For the early test results, all I can say is OUTSTANDING!!! :D
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

Cosmetic only... On my Windows 10, 64bit PC winvnc.exe Properties / Details reports the Product Version as 1.2.1.6 while the file version is reported as 1.2.1.5. VNCViewer.exe reports both as 1.2.1.5. I confirmed it is the same for a 32bit system. This is from using the installers. Just trying to help.
[Edit] The 6/12/17 release corrected this. Thanks.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

[Edit] Transferred this post to:
File Transfer problem with W2K8 R2 and v1.2.1.2 64 bit