Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Client machine is logged in with Standard User permissions

Nat2Nat connections without repeater
CosmikDebris

Client machine is logged in with Standard User permissions

Post by CosmikDebris »

I've set my parents PC (Win7) to only allow them Standard User level permissions, but I have Admin profile. Usually, when helping them remotely, with TeamViewer, I can type in the Admin password when needed to complete some task. With uvnc2me I can control the mouse, but cannot type or even close the Admin password request window. Once I tell them to click on the cancel button I can go about everything as if I were there.
Is there a way for me to provide the Admin authorization when needed?
CosmikDebris

Re: Client machine is logged in with Standard User permissio

Post by CosmikDebris »

One thing I'm thinking might be a work around for this, is if I open the onscreen keyboard on the remote machine I may be able to fill in the requested password.
Thoughts?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

uvnc2me has 2 desktop buttons, using the UAC desktop is possible works
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Unless there is a newer release, I'm only presented three choices, chat/file transfer, view desktop or admin desktop. I tried admin desktop and cannot satisfy the pop up that comes up when trying to uninstall a program, or any other action above standard user permission.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

You are correct.
The UAC popup can never be pressed from a non service application.

But, i use a special version that dis UAC for admins on start and enable it back on exit.
This way i never need to press the UAC popup and can install programs.

If you want i can send the exe.
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Rudi De Vos wrote:You are correct.
The UAC popup can never be pressed from a non service application.

But, i use a special version that dis UAC for admins on start and enable it back on exit.
This way i never need to press the UAC popup and can install programs.

If you want i can send the exe.
Please do. I believe my email is in my profile and receiving emails is enabled.
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Wanted to report back that yesterday I had need to connect with my parents pc, and tried using tge on screen keyboard to enter Admin uac password. Fail. Not only could I not enter the password when prompted, I couldn't close the on screen keyboard.
I may have to go back to Teamviewer if this won't work.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

With the uvnc update all time when to that...forgot to upload the file.

https://www.uvnc.eu/download/1230/uvnc2me.zip
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Thanks for that. I assume it has to be used on both ends, server and client?
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Well, had my folks connect to me, then used the link you provided to download the new exe to their PC. We disconnected and then I had them launch the new version. I was still using the general release version on my end, but I tried to uninstall a program from their PC and the prompt for Admin password still came up and I was dead in the water. Had to have them click the cancel button. Seems no way to help a user with reduced Windows user permissions, at least when the Admin password is required. Other than that, uvnc2me works fine.
Any other idea?
Any other vnc that requires configuring on the server end will not work unless I'm physically there to do it.
Teamviewer has worked well for us for a long time, but recently it has begun to throw errors about detected commercial use, and times out almost instantly.
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Maybe I'm not explaining my problem with the correct verbiage. I took this from an article explaining the different user permission levels.
"Standard: The standard account provides you with a lot of control over how you use the computer, but not enough to affect other users. For example, a standard account lets you access personal files and customize many operating system settings, but it doesn't allow you to use other people's files, change security-related settings, or install new hardware or software."
This is the account user type I've assigned to my father, who messes up his machine weekly. He is still able to do so, and I can't find a way to stop that (he seems to commonly duplicate library folders, for one thing).
This explains the pop up I have to deal with.
"If you use a standard account and try to make a change that requires an administrator account, such as creating a new account, as described next, you'll still be able to do it, but Windows 7 will pop up a window confirming the action and requiring you to type an administrator account password to proceed."
When this pops up I lose control of keyboard, and can't even close the pop up window, but the mouse still functions for movement. I have to ask him to close the window, in order to continue.
Do you think this can be possible, or should I look to another program?
Thanks, Dave
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Can you click the UAC from uvnc2me ? No
This is only possible from an application that run as service, like when you install uvnc as service.

Can can however start uvnc2me ( special versions) with run as admin.
This open the UAC on start and disable UAC until you disconnect.

I hopes this is clear.
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Not really clear to me. Firstly, I don't have the option to click uac on my end, just admin desktop. Should I also be using that newer customized version?
The other "run as admin", is that what I need to tell my dad to do on his end? I'd think that could be scripted into the shortcut. But, if he were to do that, wouldn't he be presented with the Admin password pop up? I need something very simple for my parents. He's 85 and has dementia and mom is 84 and not at all technically inclined. They rely on email for scheduling medical appointments and getting post procedure medical reports. I wish they didn't use a pc at all, but they have been for decades.
Thanks for your help.
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

I may have to try this next time I connect to him.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/use-tas ... ac-prompts

OK, so I did a bit of research and found that I can create a Task on my machine and export that, then import on another machine, BUT Microsoft says that it cannot be done as a Standard User.
It's beginning to look like a) I travel 1000 miles to their machine and set up a vnc, or b) bump him to Admin User.
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Maybe, if I can configure on my machine, then move files to his, I could just use UltraVNC, running as a service. Is that possible? From what I read, you have to "install" the server side, then configure it, so I'm guessing no is the answer, unless the configured file could exist in the executable.
I'm surprised that this isn't a more common question, as just the matter of giving remote PC support hints that those folks can't help themselves and may commonly have reduced user permissions. And, because these are remote from the support person, you would like to be able to distribute a working program and not have to physically travel to each machine and install/set up.
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Just a bump. Anything else that you can suggest, otherwise I'll consider making dad's user profile Admin and hope for the best from him.
I'm also still waiting on reply from teamviewer on the review of my free usage, which somehow was terminated. I'd prefer to not use them, but it would allow me to put in Admin password when needed.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

vnc is portable

You can configure all at home
When you have the server working, just copy all files from the vnc folder to a usb stick

On the other pc copy it to a custom folder and run as administrator
winvnc -install ( this install the service) from that folder

From now, it's auto started and you can logon with vnc.

Theoretical you also could start the service from the usb stick, but it could be that after reboot vnc service start faster then the usb stick and fail to find the data.
CosmikDebris

Post by CosmikDebris »

Thanks, but it does sound like I'd have to physically be there to "run as administrator" that first time, or divulge my Admin password for dad to do it. Otherwise I could do as you describe, file transfer to his pc, then run as admin and provide password (which it has not let me do) and be done with it.
Next time I visit them I'll set this up.
Thanks for your help.