Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UltraVNC 1.3.0 Alpha - Download links

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

UltraVNC 1.3.0 Alpha - Download links

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Better support multi monitors.
[v] Change server resolution:
The server resolution is changed to fit selected viewer resolution
[v] use all monitors for the remote session:
The server change his displays resolution to match all viewer displays
[v]Use Virtual monitors
The server own display is disabled and replaced with Virtual displays that match the viewer resolution.
[v] extend remote display
Sometimes you jusr want to add an extra virtual monitor
The server monitor is disabled and replace by Virtual monitors. On the server site you can't see the screens.
1= server monitor, 2 and 3 are created by Ultravnc

Most of the test where done on hyper-V
Using Hyper-v make sure you run in basic screen mode and not the rdp connection.

**WInvnc need to be started as administrator or service to be able to use the Virtual monitors
**Win 10 >= 1903
**Both server and viewer need to be 1.3.0 to support it

Downloads
https://www.uvnc.eu/download/130/UltraV ... _Setup.exe
https://www.uvnc.eu/download/130/UltraV ... _Setup.exe
https://www.uvnc.eu/download/130/UltraVnc_130.zip

Technical
A vncviewer connection that request a virtual display is like plugging a usb monitor.
In case something goes wrong the usb monitos are always disconnected
*vnc viewer disconnect
*vnc server kill
*reboot

Button to switch between displays 1/2/multiple

Fullscreen using 2 extetended should now fully cover you 2 local displays.
Thomas Levering

Re: 1.3.0 Alpha online ( forum only)

Post by Thomas Levering »

good work, nice that it goes on

I haven't tested all of the new features yet.

Viewer:
is this adjustable, Fullscreen with all Monitors or Only one? (Old Version is Only One)

Problem with Fullscreen in Viewer:
With this Version 2 of 3 Monitors are used. The Old Remote Server has a bigger Screen. Scroll the complete Remote Screen ist not Possible.

Problem with Fullscreen in Viewer: (with old Version too)
PC with more then one Monitor.
Open a Fullscreen Viewer on a Monitor with Monitor Top = -500
The Toolbar goes to Position 0 and is not Clickable/Hidden

To do, change this Window with the New Version
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

1) menu topbar should be an easy to correct, gonna check it.

2) Refactoring the menu is not difficult, but a lof of work. Is on the todo list.
is this adjustable, Fullscreen with all Monitors or Only one? (Old Version is Only One)
Current: If remote is 1,5 x bigger we use all screens.
add option: allow fullscreen on multiple monitors ?
Problem with Fullscreen in Viewer:
With this Version 2 of 3 Monitors are used. The Old Remote Server has a bigger Screen. Scroll the complete Remote Screen ist not Possible.
extra allow fullscreen option should also fix this one.

Thanks for the feedback
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

maximize restore also has a bug.
Old position and size is lost
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Installers updated with new viewers.

-Allow multimonitor spanning is also used as fullscreen parameter.
-Fullscreen Title handle pos/neg tops

You can always follow the changes on github
https://github.com/ultravnc/ultravnc/tree/development
FilipeMC

Re: 1.3.0 Alpha online

Post by FilipeMC »

Hello Rudi De Vos,

Thank you for the update.

Sorry for the off-topic, but as I saw some references to the toolbar it reminded me of the following topics:

viewtopic.php?t=36216
viewtopic.php?t=35667

Too difficult of features or something that could slip into the beta version?
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

So I have some feedback too...

Installation:
- Does not deploy certificate
- Unattended deployment asks for manual driver installation confirmation after

Uninstall:
- Does not remove the trusted publisher certificate from the cert store, leaving a potential security risk on the system

Screen resolution:
- Working, takes quite long to set the resolution back to previous value when disconnect

My setup:
- Client:
Main Screen: 1920x1200
Second Screen: 1600x1200
- Server:
Single Screen: 2560x1440

Settings:
[x] Change server resolution: 1920x1200
Correctly changes server main screen resolution and reverts to native resolution on disconnect.

Settings:
[x] "Use all my monitors"
Just creates a single screen and changes server resolution. I see no difference to previous session.

Settings:
[x] "Use Virtual monitors"
Server screen goes black and VNC client shows 2 screens with 1600x1200.
I assume this should actually create as many virtual screens as I have on my client, so there should be one 1920x1200 and one 1600x1200 virtual screen.

Screen configuration did sometimes not reset after disconnect. A service restart resets the screens.
On subsequent re-connects I often get a message box with the title "VncViewer Message Box" and content
"Server closed connection
- Manual closed
- Network disconn"
Then the viewer crashes or connects to native screen resolution (2560x1440 in this case).

Settings:
[x] "extend remote display"
Server screen goes black and VNC client shows 2 screens with 1600x1200.
I assume this should actually create as many virtual screens as I have on my client, so there should be one 1920x1200 and one 1600x1200 virtual screen.

When unchecking the "Use all my monitors" option it correctly creates one additional virtual screen with 1920x1200 resolution.
However it's a bit counter-intuitive to me that VNC shows tha native remote scrren plus one virtual scrren matching my local screen.

I think when using multiple local (client) screens it wrongly just assumes the resolution is the same on all of them.

I think specifically the following settings could be useful:

Settings:
[x] Change server resolution
[ ] "extend remote display"

Assuming this would mirror exactly the local configuration and only show 2 virtual screens with identical size of the local screen. Essentially mirroring the client-setup to the server.

Moreover the virtual screen feature does allow one to blank the remote (server-side) screen by using virtual monitors only. This feature (remote screen blanking) was not avialable in previous versions any more.

In general the implementation worked pretty well for me already.

The ability to change the remote resolution could be specifically helpful when needed to connect to a remote 4K/8K display while sitting at a laptop with only Full HD screen. It might also lower the required network bandwith by temporary changing the resolution when connecting to 8K devices or similar.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

Just asking... is it intentional/known that the v1.3.0, 64bit installer is not compatible with Windows 7? When the install completes and winvnc.exe tries to run, I get an error message "The procedure entry point Initialize TouchInjection could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll."
I hope that it can be made compatible with Windows 7. In the mean time, I have installed 1.3.0 on my Windows 7, 64bit PC, but I copied winvnc.exe from the 1.2.5.1 install from another Windows 7 64bit PC. After I rebooted my PC, winvnc.exe was able to load on my PC. I can use the new 1.3.0 viewer to connect to a remote PC and other PCs can connect to my PC.
Neustradamus

Post by Neustradamus »

@rudi: Please update "UltraVNC viewer" -> "UltraVNC Viewer"

UltraVNC must be easy to translate, for example with XML files.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Thanks all for the feedback.

My local screens have the same size and never noticed that the virtual screens had the same size.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Damm TouchInjection is the Gii stuff, looks i need to check if supported by the OS and manual load the functions.

It need to work on win7, i will fix this
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Win7 updated
Inno setup now add the cert and remove it on uninstall

Files updated
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

blank remote is a nice site effect, and a possible solution for headless systems

*use your portable as an extra screen ( local usage)

[x] "Use all my monitors" or selected resolution is only possible if the remote display support the size and
the number of screens match. But works on all OS's

All combinations are nice for testing, but will be a hell to explain to less experienced users.

Working to fix the sizes, drivers take a little longer to debug and test.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

Concerning Windows 7 compatibility.... Thanks for the work to make it compatible with Windows 7.
It is still not quite there. I ran the installer on a Windows 7 64bit system. This time the error message was: "The procedure entry point SwDeviceCreate could not be located in the dynamic link library CFGMGR32.dll."
My fix was the same, I can do an install of the 1.3.0 program then copy in winvnc.exe from a 1.2.5.1 install. After I reactivate winvnc.exe I can remote into my PC again.
Chesser

Post by Chesser »

Hello!
The development of the program has made significant progress, but the documentation is not updated.
The "documentation" section describes how to work with the program version 1.0.6.3.
New features are great, but why are they needed if there is no good description of them? Not every beginner will figure it out intuitively. Maybe take some time to do the documentation?
Thanks!
Neustradamus

Post by Neustradamus »

ddbivens wrote:Concerning Windows 7 compatibility.... Thanks for the work to make it compatible with Windows 7.
It is still not quite there. I ran the installer on a Windows 7 64bit system. This time the error message was: "The procedure entry point SwDeviceCreate could not be located in the dynamic link library CFGMGR32.dll."
My fix was the same, I can do an install of the 1.3.0 program then copy in winvnc.exe from a 1.2.5.1 install. After I reactivate winvnc.exe I can remote into my PC again.
@ddbivens: It is not clear, you install the 1.2.5.1 and after, you replace the winvnc.exe manually with the 1.3.0-alpha winvnc.exe?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Looks i need to load another function.

We get this error because some functions doesn't exist on win7.
You need to manual load and check thoose functions to have a singleexe that works on win7 and have the new win10 functions buildin.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

win7 fixed, tested on a virtual pc
Virtual driver resolution fixed.
New files uploaded
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

Thank you Rudi. The Windows 7 install went smooth. I have installed to 2 Windows 7/64 and 2 Windows 10/64 systems.
I'll admit that I have not got a full understanding of the virtual monitors yet, but I have the options turned on and I will start some testing to learn more and give any feedback that might be useful. Thank you again!
stefanorossetti

Post by stefanorossetti »

even I did not understand what "virtual monitors" are and what they can be used for
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

With a windows7 server, it wil not work, you need a windows 10 PC.

Seems i need to spend some time on documentation.
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

I confirm that the updates version does behave different:
My setup:
- Client:
Main Screen: 1920x1200
Second Screen: 1600x1200
- Server:
Single Screen: 2560x1440

Settings:
Now UVNC correctly creates 2 virtual screens, 1x 1920x1080 and 1x 1600x1200.

Although the connection seems to be a bit "shaky". Often my connection is dropped right after UVNC client is connected and UVNC client re-connects automatically but this time I see only the native server screen (back to 2566x1440 single screen).
The same disconnects I receive all the time when a virtual monitor is involved.

I would assume the purpose of the following setting is an extended multi-screen setup:

[ ] "Use all my monitors"

But I don't know if "Use Virtual monitors" is required since the "extend remote display" seems to implicitly activate virtual monitors. So I get the same effect as with

[ ] "Use all my monitors"
[ ] "Use Virtual monitors"

Unfortunately I am unable to use the "switch screen" button in the client to just display the virtual/extended monitor on my client. At least in latest alpha I get disconnected or it just toggles between "all scrrens, including 2560x1440 + 1920x1200" or "first screen, 2560x1440" but did not manage to display the extended virtual screen only.

@all: I think the idea here is as follows:
Assume you have a desktop PC with one screen (let's say 1920x1080) and a laptop (let's say 1366x768). So you sit at your desk and work on the desktop machine and your laptop is just sitting on the desk and not being used. You can now start your laptop, put it next to your desktop screen. Launch UVNC client on it, connect to your desktop extending the screen.
Now your desktop has a virtual dual-screen setup with one 1920x1080 display and a 1366x768 display. The VNC client on the laptop will show you all activities on this virtual screen. So you can continue to work on your desktop machine but actually you can use the laptop as a screen extension.

Unfortunately this did not work for me in the latest alpha due to some issues:
[*]Connection was not stable in virtual screen mode
[*]I was unable to display only the extended screen (not the physical one) in the viewer

It would also be very handy that in this mode UVNC client automatically by default will show only the virtual screen(s) created and not the physical one. Not having to switch/toggle first as you don't want to display the physical screen on the UVNC client on the laptop in this scenario but you just want to show the virtual screen.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

SkyBeam wrote:...
@all: I think the idea here is as follows:
Assume you have a desktop PC with one screen (let's say 1920x1080) and a laptop (let's say 1366x768). So you sit at your desk and work on the desktop machine and your laptop is just sitting on the desk and not being used. You can now start your laptop, put it next to your desktop screen. Launch UVNC client on it, connect to your desktop extending the screen.
Now your desktop has a virtual dual-screen setup with one 1920x1080 display and a 1366x768 display. The VNC client on the laptop will show you all activities on this virtual screen. So you can continue to work on your desktop machine but actually you can use the laptop as a screen extension.
Thank you Skybeam. If I understand this correctly, I am borrowing the monitor on a remote connected PC for use on my PC. So (eventually, when I get my new Windows 10 system connected to my 3 monitors) I would be able to run UltraVNC to connect to the laptop and borrow the monitor of the laptop sitting beside my 3 monitors to make a 4th monitor on my PC?
Also, I could use this as a way to 'project' onto a remote PC whatever that user needs to see. That is going to be great. I will be doing some testing of this from my Windows 10 PC to see what it is capable of doing.
Neustradamus

Post by Neustradamus »

It is not possible to keep the default server screen size and in the client to move into?
Thomas Levering

Rudi De Vos wrote: -Allow multimonitor spanning is also used as fullscreen parameter.
a separate setting is better.
Window Allow Multimonitor Spanning
Fullscreen Only one Monitor

@Windows7 x64

Allow multimonitor spanning = on
Fullscreen active
remote screen 5760x1080
Local Monitors 5760x1200
Fullscreen shows only on 2 Monitors
Scroll to the Right side is not working (remote screen is cut off)
Back to Window -> the border and Toolbar is missing

Allow multimonitor spanning = off
viewer open as window
go to fullscreen is everytime on Monitor1 (not Monitor 2 or 3) (not Monitor1, only to the first used Monitor for Fullscreen)
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

ddbivens wrote:
SkyBeam wrote:...
I would be able to run UltraVNC to connect to the laptop and borrow the monitor of the laptop sitting beside my 3 monitors to make a 4th monitor on my PC?
Also, I could use this as a way to 'project' onto a remote PC whatever that user needs to see.
Yes that's exactly how I understand this feature could be used. For this it would make sense to have an option on the viewer to connect to a virtual monitor on the server and display ONLY THIS monitor in the client in full-screen-mode. So basically the client screen becomes an extension of the physical screens on the server.

However for day-by-day usage an USB DisplayLink adapter to add another screen might be a better option as connecting a laptop screen as a screen extension is quite power-consuming to run a full-blown laptop with a complete software stack and transfer video via network sounds not to be very efficient way of doing it. But hey, as it's technically possible and a laptop might be just sitting around anyway... why not.

Using virtual screens also can help in situations where you connect to a server which does not have any screens connected to it.
It might also help to blank the local screen by disconnecting the physical screen and just showing virtual ones (remote screen blanking feature did work up to Windows XP as of my knowledge and was lost in Vista/7 or somewhere around this).

In any case it's a neat feature and I am sure people will find even more use-cases for it.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Code: Select all

Scroll to the Right side is not working (remote screen is cut off)
Back to Window -> the border and Toolbar is missing
Are you using the viewer from the latest upload, should be fixed.
Possible still happening with another testcase, can you verify the file date of the viewer.
Thomas Levering

Rudi De Vos wrote:
Are you using the viewer from the latest upload, should be fixed.
Possible still happening with another testcase, can you verify the file date of the viewer.
Exe is Signed from: 27. ‎Oktober ‎2020 20:48:57

if
allowMonitorSpanning=1
in options.vnc
and open viewer with cmd line, this is not enabled
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

27/10 is the latest, so something wrong with the viewer.
Gonna check if i also tested the no spanning mode.
EXIO

Post by EXIO »

Hello,

Could you upload the zip for this version please.

Thanks