Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UltraVnc for Mac OS X

Any features you would like to see in UltraVNC? Propose it here
hongwing

UltraVnc for Mac OS X

Post by hongwing »

Hi

An OS X version of Ultravnc will be very usefull.
Currently, OSXVNC is a simple Vnc clone that doesn't have as many features.

thx
:)
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

I second that. It would be extremely useful. I nearly always use UltraVNC for connecting to my OS X box (for those times when I'm trapped in Windows), but it's really slow, even on LAN...
hellRaven

Post by hellRaven »

It would be really great if there was a OS X version of UltraVNC!
bayardk

another vote for OS X

Post by bayardk »

PLEASE do an OS X Ultr@!!
GoatyGoat

osx version

Post by GoatyGoat »

Yes, the programmers would be really happy to rewrite about 60%+ of the program that still needs some improvements in the windows versions just to support an os that's being used only by a very very small percent of people. Get real or, as a microsoft programmer would say, "GET THE FACTS", unless somebody very interested to have a macos version of the program will help the developers out I don't really think that you'll ever see a uvnc version for that os: it requires a very large rewrite of the program sources.

Sincerely, the might goat :P
Terriff

Post by Terriff »

If the code were ported to the .NET framework, this would not be the case. ;)
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

Terriff wrote:If the code were ported to the .NET framework, this would not be the case. ;)
Well having to send to all the customers a 1mb program with 40mb of framework just to being able to make the program more portable doesn't look like a good idea for now :P. Maybe when almost all the new pcs with windows will have .net framework installed it would be a good idea :P
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

Just bumping this again - It would be amazing to have an OS X version of the server (or the client, though I care about the server =)

I'm wondering how we can draw some OS X developers here to help out with this...

Re: osx version

Post by Guest »

GoatyGoat wrote:Yes, the programmers would be really happy to rewrite about 60%+ of the program that still needs some improvements in the windows versions just to support an os that's being used only by a very very small percent of people. Get real or, as a microsoft programmer would say, "GET THE FACTS", unless somebody very interested to have a macos version of the program will help the developers out I don't really think that you'll ever see a uvnc version for that os: it requires a very large rewrite of the program sources.

Sincerely, the might goat :P
I would almost agree with you.. however.. I see one small issue with your argument. Although osx users are a small percentage of computer users in general, increasingly osx users are a larger and larger percentage of avid computer users (read as "geeks") because of the bsd roots of osx.

Given this, and my belief that the majority of the users of a product such as ultravnc are the more technically savvy computer users (again, read as "geeks"), I would say that osx users are a much more prominent percentage of the target audience of the product in question.

Having said that.. it's an OSS world.. put up or shut up, so I'll shut up since I don't have time to contribute right now. :)

Just wanted to make a point not to shut out the osx users because of small thinking on your part. It's all about perspective and target audience.

Post by Guest »

I'd like to second the above poster's opinion. I know an awful lot (for number's sake, let's say over 40) of OS X users who are searching everywhere for a modern VNC server, and would even be willing to pay for one that functions well.

On the flip side, I know of very few (again, for number's sake, I'm talking less than 15) Windows-only users who even know what VNC is -- I'm constantly having to introduce them to the concept and reality of UltraVNC. Needless to say, most people in this user class like UltraVNC because it's both fast and free. Most of them are just as happy using TightVNC, and don't realize the extra features they could have using Ultra.

Re: osx version

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
I would almost agree with you.. however.. I see one small issue with your argument. Although osx users are a small percentage of computer users in general, increasingly osx users are a larger and larger percentage of avid computer users (read as "geeks") because of the bsd roots of osx.

Given this, and my belief that the majority of the users of a product such as ultravnc are the more technically savvy computer users (again, read as "geeks"), I would say that osx users are a much more prominent percentage of the target audience of the product in question.

Having said that.. it's an OSS world.. put up or shut up, so I'll shut up since I don't have time to contribute right now. :)

Just wanted to make a point not to shut out the osx users because of small thinking on your part. It's all about perspective and target audience.
agreed x100

would LOVE to see this ported to os x!!!
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

Maybe we could shoot for a BSD version of UltraVNC and in turn that should work on MacOS X.

We would need to wait though for the codebase to be redone with UltraVNC 2.0. If the codebase was modular it would make the task significantly easier of rewriting it for BSD or Mac OS X.

Maybe we could get the guys over at TightVNC to help out. They have a version that runs on Linux. It seems to work good for the viewer part although I have been having trouble getting the server part to work. (I suspect it is just a configuration issue on my part).
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

Maybe we can bribe the authors by taking up a collection to get them a Mac Mini or something?? =)
AnyBody

Post by AnyBody »

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz do a version for macosx
jwilson

a poll perhaps?

Post by jwilson »

does some one want to do a poll for this? My vote would be YES, please!

BTW, what language is the codebase? is it object oriented or was it designed in some sort of gui builder a-la-visual basic style?
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

Mostly C++. You can download the source code and have a look.

I'm serious, though - if one or more of the authors would be willing to committing to working on an OS X version, I'd be interested in starting up a funding drive to purchase hardware for said project.
Last edited by Ripcord on 2005-08-27 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
californiajeff

Post by californiajeff »

From what I understand, I think we will need to wait until the codebase is rewritten. Until then it does not make sense to port it to any other platforms. So we need to push up the rewrite of the code and then they could implement programming teams and variants such as a Mac OS X version could start the development process.
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

Wouldn't it make sense to keep OS X and multi-platform support in mind while doing the rewrite? Even if full support isn't included, good decisions made during the rewrite may make creating an OS X version much easier.
wwiii

Post by wwiii »

Let us please take note of the fact that the Mac OS X platform is moving to Intel processors exclusively. We're talking Intel's next generation, post-Pentium.

You can lease a Mac OS X on Intel developer box from Apple right now, although obviously it costs money.

The first commercial Mac OS X Intel boxes may appear as early as January 2006 and certainly by June 2006.

So maybe it will be practical, next year, to port UltraVNC to Mac OS X for Intel only, and forego any backward-compatibility to Mac OS X on IBM G4 or G5.

I am not a programmer, but I am assuming that some of the low-level code in UltraVNC, such as the video mirror, would be very hard to rewrite for Mac OS X on G4 or G5 but would be rather much easier to rewrite for Mac OS X on Intel CPUs.
Wheat Williams
UltraVNC 1.0.1 on Windows XP
OSXvnc 1.6.1 and Chicken of the VNC 2.0b3 on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ich spreche Deutsch
Aprendo español
dieter

Open "File-Transfer-Protocol" for COTVNC (Mac OS X

Post by dieter »

Open "File-Transfer-Protocol" for COTVNC (Mac OS X Client)

Dear,

i know, that UltraVNC Client does not support OS other than Windows. Chicken of the VNC (COTVNC), a very good VNC Client for Mac OS X, will include the file-transfer-protocol from UltraVNC, if you open the documatation of it to reimplement it!

If you are interest to support more the windows-only, please contact the "Lead Developer" of COTVNC! Thanks!

-----

Von: support (at) geekspiff (dot) com
Betreff: Re: Chicken of the VNC
Datum: 22. März 2006 10:30:52 MEZ

Hi Dieter,

The problem with supporting UltraVNC's file transfer protocol is that it isn't a part of the standard VNC protocol, so we don't have a clean way of supporting it.

There's a feature request open for this on Chicken's website, with a request to find the specification describing how UltraVNC does it. If we can get that spec and integrate it cleanly, we will.

Glad you like The Chicken!

Jason Harris
Lead Developer
Geekspiff

On Mar 22, 2006, at 1:53 AM, Dieter wrote:

Hello,

thanks for continuing support "Chicken of the VNC", the only VNC Client, which support tight-VNC protocol! I using it for a long time and happy to have this well designed programm! But i have a special question. Do you know UltraVNC? There is a file-transfer included. Is it possible to support the file-tranfering with a future version of COTVNC?

Thanks
Dieter
[mod=494,1143031838]deleted duplicate post wrote on UltravNC Linux client[/mod]
Last edited by dieter on 2006-03-22 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

Since both projects are GPL'ed, what documentation are they looking for, I wonder? Or are the sources not clear enough?
gavc

Re: UltraVnc for Mac OS X

Post by gavc »

I was able to port a multi view client In java, still ironing out a few bugs, it looks like a mini ard, and support winlogon but no encryption.
I stopped working on it, when i couldnt get it to view the built in mac osx vnc server (ard) I could only get it working for win boxes
fsahog

Post by fsahog »

I have been a unix systems guy for like 30 years. I would be happy to work on an OSX version. What's the best way to coordinate? Do you have a code repository or something along those lines?
-------
Esse quam videri
..!live.com!fsahog
redge

Post by redge »

you can spend time for friendly cocoa of x11vnc (server) and ssvnc (viewer) already support features of UltraVNC
http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/
Last edited by redge on 2010-02-07 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
fsahog

Post by fsahog »

Thank you, redge. I'll look that up and use it. Much better than starting cold with GPL code.
-------
Esse quam videri
..!live.com!fsahog
Figit

Post by Figit »

Hi,

can't offer coding help but more than willing to help with testing. Have a new Macbook Pro after years of DOS, Windows and PCs. Would be great not to have to use XP on MBP, found RDP for Mac which is OK for supporting corporate stuff but for friends and family uvnc has always been great.

If I can do anything to help in testing please count me in.