Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Failed to get server address!

rsfeller

Failed to get server address!

Post by rsfeller »

Although I want ultraVNC to be my solution so bad I just cannot figure out the quirkiness of it over realVNC.

5 computers I connect to over the internet at work. 3 work perfectly, 1 will not connect and another seems to go by the phases of the moon give FAILED TO GET SERVER ADDRESS!

the one who is in consistant sometimes will connect but I just get a black screen. Luckily during my testing phase I have left PCany on the system for a backup to connect and config the server.

I've restarted services, I've reboot server, clients, firewalls, ect and just cannot figure out why one client is works and others are hit and miss. I do notice far more lock ups and "kick offs" then realVNC (which I none with).

I've read the FAQ in detail and need some new ideas of what to look at. I really don't want to go back to realVNC.

FYI I am running the latest client and server software. have the video driver installed and run things on both XP SP2 and Win2K SP4 systems. I can see no correlation to which systems are better or worse.

Any other ideas to point me toward?

yes I know port admin, yes I know my firewall (realVNC had no issues!).
bevtech

Re: Failed to get server address!

Post by bevtech »

Are your ip addresses reserved in your firewall or router so that each machine gets the same address everyday??

Is your router firewall stable?? I have had issues with that over the years and if you are dealing with wifi you really got a configuration that will give your headaches
Last edited by bevtech on 2007-09-20 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
rsfeller

Post by rsfeller »

This issue had NOTHING to do with hardware config, this is for sure with ultraVNC. Our firewire is an amazing piece of equiptment (Astaro) so no concerns there.

My IP are on hardwired stable server that haven't changed since the Reagan Administration. Additionally, if my IP had changed then that would affect PCANYWHERE that still can connect remotely to the machines.

So I've double checked the config and that is not the issue. If I reinstall realVNC on the server it is 100% stable. Same with the one client I cannot connect to.

Here is the odd thing:

I have one XP SP2 client that is realVNC on it still at work. My ultraVNC at home will not connect to it but all my realVNC clients at home can.

Any ideas there?

Everyone I personally know that has ultraVNC says it should have no issues connecting to realVNC servers.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

What version of realvnc?? version 3X or 4 if version 4 will not work..

Keep in mind we have no idea of the expertise level on the people posting so we try to keep the posts as simple as possible ;)

If you do a portquery are the ports open on the machine you are having issues with.

I am still kinda confused on what the problems 2 pcs do not work properly yet they are in the subnet as the others that do :| I am getting the picture or am i way off..
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
rsfeller

Post by rsfeller »

bevtech wrote:What version of realvnc?? version 3X or 4 if version 4 will not work..

Keep in mind we have no idea of the expertise level on the people posting so we try to keep the posts as simple as possible ;)

If you do a portquery are the ports open on the machine you are having issues with.

I am still kinda confused on what the problems 2 pcs do not work properly yet they are in the subnet as the others that do :| I am getting the picture or am i way off..
We'll this makes it more interesting for sure! The server (realVNC 4.1) which I cannot connect to is in fact the 4.x you say will not work. But another machine running ultraVNC can connect to it!?!?!

All machines are on the same subnet, ports are all confirmed open. port forwarding on firewall is correct to IP translation (again I can connect with pcanywhere).

Any just sometimes I connect but I get a black screen, hang or lose connection. There must be some instability with the driver or such! Just now I connected to my \\win2k server which had a blue screen saying "connecting" for 20 sec and then it's now connected with a black screen for 30 sec before I see anything! Speed is fine at the moment...

...gremlins...

My next idea (which is lame) is to uninstall/reinstall on the client that is having the concern connecting with these servers.

i know I didn't give you much but I was hoping I would be missing something easy. Working with realVNC 4.x would explain it if it's incompatable but why does one machine say it's OK?
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

well i dont use realvnc at all but i do know that uvnc is based on 3.X so the newer versions can cause issues..

Windows 2000 seems to be having issues with uvnc 1.02 or later i am not sure of the cause but some users have reported it not working properly

What machines are not working properly?? Do they have non standard windows video drivers on them (systray icons for the video driver) These all cause problems for uvnc and its mirror driver.. You might have to do some digging to find out what is different
:|
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
rsfeller

Post by rsfeller »

My goal was to convert everything to ultra but until I get the bugs out I need to run both. Really the only issue I would have on our network would be some latency issues when connecting...so with that said...

I will did with non-standard video drivers and see if that matters. My win2k server that is slow to connect (and sometimes black screens) is running 1.0.1). I just tried to connect again and got a "not responding" from the software for 30 sec before all was good. Then I hit the start button and all went black again!

I know I should start another thread but one quick question. When ultra runs as a service should their still be an icon in the tray? on win2k there is NOT while xp sp2 there is!
rsfeller

Post by rsfeller »

OK, i think I got my win2k issue licked.

I know the robustness of this software also makes it a bit tough to config for novice users. BevTech pointed out that the driver doesn't load properly during the install and gave me a seperate video driver to load.

even after removing everything and reinstalling I still had issues. I found through system tray properties (on the server) when testing the "check the video hook drivers" that the driver was presnet but the communcation service was not.

I believe the trick was I had to reinstall the seperate video driver AFTER the software install. I believe the attempt the software makes to write the driver fouls up the mirror driver.

Now I see the communcation service present and things seem better already. additionally I couldn't get the tray helper to load (while running ultra as a service) and now it shows.

I think a clearer documentation is needed on what to install and in what order and all will be good!

also just offering this to be run as a service with a tray help would suffice. i can see no reason to run as startup program in windows. less config would make newbie life easier.

now on to my next concern...compatibility between realVNC and ultra VNC...
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

well you are getting there.

I also made that a FAQ the bug during installation...:) I had that happen here i thought it was my pc...;)
Last edited by bevtech on 2007-09-21 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)