Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Why is c:\temp_phw hardcoded?

xrxca

Why is c:\temp_phw hardcoded?

Post by xrxca »

Why on earth is the default viewer using a hardcoded temporary directory named (c:\temp_phw) rather than one in the users temporary files folder? And worse than that why is it just assuming it can delete all files in that directory when it existed prior to the program being run. One of my techs discovered this and was seriously annoyed by it, her initials just happen to be PHW (she refuses to tell us what the H stands for) but she had a c:\temp_phw directory with some files in it that got hosed when we were testing the default viewer program. We have decent backups so I got her files back, but it's a pretty nasty bit of coding, and I would wonder how things would run on a system where permissions are locked down so the user isn't allowed to create a new directory in the root of C: ?

(And on an aside, if it IS going to toast all the files in the directory why doesn't it delete the directory as well?)
bevtech

Re: Why is c:\temp_phw hardcoded?

Post by bevtech »

that was a developers call and I am sure that he has he reasons. But another good question is why someone would name a personal temp with temp_phw instead of my files or phw_files..

I do recall that he had to do it for the copy and paste feature to work properly.
:idea:
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
mattice06082
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by mattice06082 »

I think xrxca has a good point about users not having adequate permissions to create directory causing problems.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

I am not disagreeing that the temp dir should be created in the %temp% but we will have to wait for there explaination
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
xrxca

Post by xrxca »

bevtech wrote:But another good question is why someone would name a personal temp with temp_phw
Or why they'd put it in the root of C:, believe me we've now had that conversation.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

@xrxca

Then they will complain when the files are not being backup. like you do not have enough to do but search for personal files stored on the root..;) Should all be stored in my documents but people barely ever listen..
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
xrxca

Post by xrxca »

I gave up a long time ago expecting files to be where they 'should' be especially when one mapping/geophysical app most of my clients use puts its data directory on the root of C: by default (We've now wrapped their install so when it's done the directory is moved to a better location, and it's config file is updated)

'User not developer' eh?
Around our office "USER" is considered a particularly vulgar slur :wink:
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

well I am not a uvnc developer. I just try to assist other users and work on documentation.. You do have a very good point with the phw temp directory.. Maybe in the next version we can get that changed..

I am am forum moderator though so what out..:P
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

On the PC A you copy a file c:\myfolder\
-then the full content of myfolder is zipped and send to B.
-The path in the clipboard of A need to be changed to the destination where B will extract the files.
-Clipboard is transferred to B
-zip file is extracted in c:\temp_pch, Clipboard reffer to the files in
c:\temp_pch

We current need to fix path to modify the clipboard content on A to
match the temp destination on B.
It can be changed, but a simple user selectable server path will not work.
Server and viewer need to negotiate the used path...
Perhpas when i have a lot of time left...
X-Byte

Post by X-Byte »

@Rudi De Vos:
Is there no possibility to work with the default Windows TEMP environment variable on the server and viewer side?

So a "fixed" path of %TEMP%\PHW_$sessionid would resolve to C:\Documents and Settings\UserA\Local Settings\Temp\PHW_56584 on PC A and C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\NoobUser\Local Settings\Temp\PHW_56584 on PC B.

I know the %TEMP% solution was mentioned before, but I couldn't get the point why this shouldn't work? That's why I try to go a bit more into detail here.

Maybe the server really needs to know the absolute path of the viewer and vice versa to exchange file/clipboard information?

If so, exchanging the two different %TEMP% strings during the start of the connection phase shouldn't be too much of an effort (I hope ;)
Adding a unique session id to the temporary path like PHW_C76FAB3 will also reduce the risk of killing unaffected data when cleaning up.

Or does this path really needs to be equal on both sides?

Then i fear there'll be no suitable solution for users with restricted rights.

BTW: Thanks for that great application :D
Bye
X-Byte
karstenschilder

Post by karstenschilder »

X-Byte wrote:@Rudi De Vos:
Or does this path really needs to be equal on both sides?
The answer is: no.

Else all other remote solutions (including remote desktop and remote assistance) wouldn't work, because they don't use a fixed temp folder. But in all of them you can use the clipboard feature.

The argument with zipping isn't correct. You can use a relative path in zip, like in all others.
Last edited by karstenschilder on 2007-05-06 20:07, edited 2 times in total.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

The only problem is that we need to exchange the %TEMP% between
server and viewer... in that case the c:\temp_pchw is not needed.

We could use %TEMP%\temp_pchw

In time of making, it was just a lot easier...and was runnning out of time.
mstorman

Post by mstorman »

I modifed the server source and changed the temp path to be %TEMP%\temp_rs

And so far it is working without a problem.

Thanks,
Matthew.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

This is only used for filetransfer, possible will not longer work.