Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Invalid VNC Server specified error

gthomas39

Invalid VNC Server specified error

Post by gthomas39 »

I recently went from winvnc to ultra vnc. I removed winvnc and deleted directory, then restarted comp. Then I install ultra vnc. I can use the viewer to load vnc but when I save the connection then open the connection through file created I get this error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the stable, beta and testing versions and i still get this error. after I uninstall it when i reinstall it shows all the same history as before (previous connections) even though it is a fresh install even after the directory was deleted. Maybe something in registry? i also included the connection below (minus the server name, port, proxy, and password).

[connection]
host=
port=
proxyhost=
proxyport=
password=
[options]
use_encoding_0=1
use_encoding_1=0
use_encoding_2=1
use_encoding_3=0
use_encoding_4=1
use_encoding_5=1
use_encoding_6=1
use_encoding_7=1
use_encoding_8=1
use_encoding_9=1
use_encoding_10=0
use_encoding_11=0
use_encoding_12=0
use_encoding_13=0
use_encoding_14=0
use_encoding_15=0
use_encoding_16=1
preferred_encoding=9
restricted=0
viewonly=0
nostatus=0
nohotkeys=0
showtoolbar=1
AutoScaling=1
fullscreen=0
autoDetect=0
8bit=0
shared=1
swapmouse=0
belldeiconify=0
emulate3=1
emulate3timeout=100
emulate3fuzz=4
disableclipboard=0
localcursor=1
Scaling=1
scale_num=87
scale_den=100
cursorshape=0
noremotecursor=1
compresslevel=6
quality=6
ServerScale=1
EnableCache=0
QuickOption=7
UseDSMPlugin=0
UseProxy=0
sponsor=0
DSMPlugin=

[mod=494,1203469524]moved from bugs to General help[/mod]
Last edited by gthomas39 on 2008-02-20 01:05, edited 2 times in total.
redge

Re: Invalid VNC Server specified error

Post by redge »

you forget to register .vnc for vncviewer with setup.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
gthomas39

Post by gthomas39 »

nope made that check mark during setup. Even my icons are using the correct icons. Just noticed it wasn't winvnc I had before but was realvnc. was working fine until I messed with realvnc. The same link works great on all other computers (i moved the exact file to each computer and tried it). I think that some of the realvnc settings are still stuck but have no idea what to look for.
X3

Post by X3 »

This is not really a solution but rather a suggestion.

If you made some backups of the OS pre installation of any remote control software of any flavour use it.

if not back up now before moving to next step.

Uninstall uVNC, suggest dwelling into the registry maybe some keys from instalation of previous VNC flavour are still there and causing conflict anything you find delete.

Reboot

Install uVNC

report back.
Regards

redge

Post by redge »

Last edited by redge on 2008-02-20 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
X3

Post by X3 »

and that file is??? reset uVNC? what does it do?
Regards

gthomas39

Post by gthomas39 »

Downloaded and ran that cleanup and reset tool. Got the error winvnc.exe not found unistalled, rebooted and then reinstalled ultravnc and I still get the error whe trying to open a .vnc file. even the new ones created after all that process.
X3

Post by X3 »

have you looked in registry for keys left by the other vnc program you used before?
The VncReset program will stop and uninstall the winvnc service, reset the UltraVNC registry settings to a previous backup set created with the VncBackup.exe program, reinstall and restart the UltraVNC service which will normally correct connection problems with UltraVNC.
so I dont even think this would really help or the
Run this program if you have not used the VncBakup.exe program and can no longer connect to an UltraVNC server that has been working properly but now does not respond to incoming connections. This program will clean the UltraVNC registry keys by shutting down the UltraVNC service and removing all of the UltraVNC registry settings and then reinstalling the original default UltraVNC settings
thats for ultravnc you have used a different program before and thats what I recon is interfering.

diving into registry might just allow you to remove those conflicting keys once and for all.

one click tools are great but in this case I dont think its the best course of action.
Last edited by X3 on 2008-02-22 09:04, edited 3 times in total.
Regards

gthomas39

Post by gthomas39 »

well the registry didn't help so I guess I'm taking the simplest route and doing system restore to previous date. hope that fixes it.
X3

Post by X3 »

that was my first or second suggestion, please dont forget the screenshots of any error or information....
Regards

gthomas39

Post by gthomas39 »

Well I couldn't do a system restore so I opened the registry and backed it up then I did a search for vnc and removed everything that said winvnc, ultravnc, or realvnc. I found 3 realvnc entries that never deleted on uninstall and I deleted all references to the .vnc extension. restarted machine and reinstalled ultravnc. Now everything works great. I just never realized RealVNC was so sloppy on their uninstallation. Thanks for all your help.
X3

Post by X3 »

Im glad that you finally go things sorted.

there are quite a few programs that when removed leave all sorts of rubbish behind and that obviously causes all sorts of troubles, slowdown etc. when I have issues registry is allways my first option since Ive become more confident and well when I dont know I google...

Since System restore is rubbish anyway I use something with a little more kick. Again since I beta test for Acronis as well I use theire Acronis True Image backup Software which I thouroughly recommend.

See you around.
Regards

electrongunner

Post by electrongunner »

I had this problem today on Windows 8.1 and I finally came up with a simple solution. First, if you've already made the mistake of using the windows file type association control panel or other automated method to associate the .vnc extension with the vncviewer.exe, open regedit and do a search for ".vnc" and delete all keys you find. Then make a little batch file containing the following:

Code: Select all

ftype UltraVnc.Connection=C:\Program Files\uvnc bvba\UltraVnc\vncviewer.exe /config %%1
assoc .vnc=UltraVnc.Connection
Then right-click the batch file and choose "Run as Administrator".
Your .vnc files should then launch the vnc viewer correctly. Please note that you may need to change the path above to point to the location of your vncviewer.exe file if it's not installed in the same place as mine. Also note, the double percent sign in "%%1" at the end of the ftype line in the .bat file is NOT a typo. You need the double percent sign when you run a command like that inside a .bat file.

Hope this helps someone.