Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

possible bug Locked out of server - timeout=0 ?

dave1892

possible bug Locked out of server - timeout=0 ?

Post by dave1892 »

Hi,

I installed 1.0.8.2 yesterday on my home PC, tested it, through firewall etc, and then left for Christmas. I am on another PC now, I connected fine, then the PC went into standby, on bringing it back up, I closed the vnc viewer since there was nothing in the window. Trouble is I can't reconnect - I get another user is connected with DSM plugin. I'm using the DSM encyrption plugin, and I realise you can't have multiple connections, but surely there's some timeout with VNC?

I saw elsewhere on the forums that the default timeout = 0. Is this true?

Any ideas? Do you think it will timeout? Is there a way around this? Ultimately it's my fault for not checking all options when I set this up, but I didn't have much time and assumed that most options out of the box would be sensible.

thanks for any help
Dave

[mod]changed title "Locked out of server - timeout ?" by "possible bug Locked out of server - timeout=0 ?"
Last edited by dave1892 on 2010-01-01 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
redge

Re: Locked out of server - timeout?

Post by redge »

securevncplugin.dsm allow multi vncviewer connected to server with same securevncplugin.dsm
if you computer goes standby mode.
you must change power management settings at controlled computer.

> I saw elsewhere on the forums that the default timeout = 0.
yes
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
dave1892

Post by dave1892 »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It's not the controlled PC that went into standby. The controlled PC is fine.

It's a huge shame that the default setting makes it so easy for the server to become useless. It would have been so much better if the default server behaviour was to detect a broken or idle connection and release the session.

So I guess there's no solution to this while I have no access to the server?

Seems also really odd default behaviour in software designed for remote and secure access. What's wrong with re-logging in every so often?

Dave
dave1892

Post by dave1892 »

Hi,

Does no one have an opinion on this? Is my problem valid? Have I misunderstood some fundamental? Am I in the wrong forum?

thanks
Dave
dave1892

connection timeout

Post by dave1892 »

Hi, I posted this a few days ago in the 108x forum, but got no joy - apologies if you read it twice

I'm running 1.0.8.2, with viewer and server win xp sp3. As of now it hasn't timed out, so it looks like it's not going to.

[original post]

I installed 1.0.8.2 yesterday on my home PC, tested it, through firewall etc, and then left for Christmas. I am on another PC now, I connected fine, then the PC went into standby, on bringing it back up, I closed the vnc viewer since there was nothing in the window. Trouble is I can't reconnect - I get another user is connected with DSM plugin. I'm using the DSM encyrption plugin, and I realise you can't have multiple connections, but surely there's some timeout with VNC?

I saw elsewhere on the forums that the default timeout = 0. Is this true?

Any ideas? Do you think it will timeout? Is there a way around this? Ultimately it's my fault for not checking all options when I set this up, but I didn't have much time and assumed that most options out of the box would be sensible.

thanks for any help
Dave
redge

Re: connection timeout

Post by redge »

did you try with securevncplugin at both side allow multi session with uvnc 1.0.8.x if same issue happen in your case.

if same error still.
for next time, this tool should help you :-)
[topic=6117][/topic]
dave1892

Post by dave1892 »

No, I still don't have access to the server.

It's a real shame. I don't understand why the server can't simply detect a broken (or even idle) connection and terminate the session by default.

I don't see how the process watcher would help at all. The server is still running and doesn't need restarting.

I probably won't have this problem next time since I'll use the other plugin, and/or set the timeout.

thanks
Dave
redge

Post by redge »

I just tested vncviewer 1.0.8.2 on win7rc connected to winvnc running as system service 1.0.8.2 on vista business sp2 with securevncplugin 1.0.2.0
on computer of vncviewer connected to remote,
i was forcing to sleep mode (not hibernation)
waiting fews minute
wake-up computer of vncviewer and as normal, the connection was broken.
then reconnect viewer to remote was possible !

then doing the same step after just change with msrc4plugin 1.2.4.0 and reboot before start test.

no crunched winvnc since i can reconnect vncviewer with msrc4plugin or securevncplugin depend plugin was set to server.

have a look at your computer of vncviewer no have an issue with bios standby mode or anything can block/break the standby mode.
dave1892

Post by dave1892 »

Did you have timeout set to zero?

I got on the server now, and sure enough, in the logs it says

Sun Dec 27 11:11:08 2009
.\vsocket.cpp : VSocket() m_pDSMPlugin = NULL
.\vncsockconnect.cpp : accepted connection from 89.241.240.201
.\vncserver.cpp : AddClient() started
.\vncclient.cpp : vncClient() executing...
.\vncclient.cpp : TEST 4
.\vncserver.cpp : AddClient() done
.\vncclient.cpp : client connected : 89.241.240.201 (67)
.\vncclient.cpp : DSMPlugin Pointer to socket OK
.\vncclient.cpp : A connection using DSM already exist - client rejected to avoid crash
.\vncclient.cpp : ~vncClient() executing...
.\vncclient.cpp : deleting socket
.\vsocket.cpp : closing socket

This is six days after the first login. This seems to show quite clearly that it doesn't disconnect, which is to be expected if timeout = 0?

My only point, is still, it seems a shame to have timeout = 0 by default, or at least not to have it show up in the config window.

thanks
Dave
redge

Post by redge »

> Did you have timeout set to zero?

yes,
IdleTimeout=0

my opinion and only my own.

there fews level of standby mode and one override any connection running and force break network connection like computer shutdown and force computer shutdown in case of one software don't react or block shutdown.

This level can be changed at network interface card or/and power option at control panel.

I hope Rudi can have a look about this issue is normal function or bug of IdleTimeout=0 with/without dsmplugin