Too Many Forums, No Sense

Test the syntax here, shout, do whatever (discuss about the forum if you want ...) but please behave ;) ... and spam is not welcome

Too Many Forums, No Sense

Postby B » 2010-03-15 18:16

Hi. I think the current forum setup is confusing to both new AND experienced users.

I've been coming here for a few weeks, participating in random threads, and while I use UltraVNC rarely I'm no newbie to VNC or computing.

And I still see NO rhyme or reason in where topics get posted. Often a mod will move them to some place more appropriate, but there doesn't seem to be a good "fit" for almost ANY particular thing someone might want to post.

As just an example, why are discussions on the Repeater project stuck in a forum on the 1.09 UltraVNC beta? Why are single-click discussions scattered throughout the forums when there's already a forum called simply "SC"? Why are there NINE different forums related to different VERSIONS of UltraVNC, all linked off the MAIN forum page? (10 if you count PCHelpware?) If someone is having trouble with UAC, where do they post? The Announcements forum is world-writable but the FAQ section beneath it is not?

I just don't think a new poster has a chance of figuring out where to put a message. I didn't even know where to post this observation, so I just stuck it here in "Off topic posts (Sandbox)".

Here's the current list of <b>26 forums</b> a person sees when trying to figure out where to look for information on the <b>main page</b>; in my estimation it's just too confusing:

Announcements and other administrativa
Ultr@VNC FAQ
VNC-related products
Off topic posts (Sandbox)
2.x.x
1.0.9 beta
1.0.8.X (stable)
Release 1.0.6.X
Older release
New to UltraVNC? - Beginner questions
General help
[DSM plugin] Bug reports & General help
[JavaViewer] Bugs, Requests, Contributions...
[MS logon] Bug reports & General help
ChunkVNC
SC
PcHelpWare Rel 1.0
Feature requests
News Announcements and Releases
Developer discussions (mainly user-mode)
Release 105.3
Release 105.6
Release 105
Doc-Writer discussions
Release 105 Bugs
SCIII

<b>Two</b> forums for "announcements". <b>Three</b> very similar and therefore confusing newbie forums (FAQ, New to UltraVNC, and and General Help), two of which are hidden in the middle of the page. Three forums that offer "General help". Again, 10 different UltraVNC version forums.

I know there's a another thread about a possible web site redesign, but I'm just talking about a relatively simple cleanup of the FORUM. For starters, can't we just have ONE "current release" forum and ONE "previous releases" forum, with subforums as appropriate?

So as to be <b>constructive</b> and not just whining, here's a draft proposal for a new main forum index, with the expectation of subforums where necessary:

1. New to UltraVNC? - Post your "beginner's" question here
2. Announcements and Ultr@VNC FAQ (READ ONLY)
3. General Discussion, including Stable Releases (1.0.8, 1.0.6, PCHelpWare)
4. Older releases
5. Related UltraVNC Software (JavaViewer, Repeater, SC, etc.)
6. Open UltraVNC Repackaging Projects (SCPrompt, ChunkVNC, etc.)
7. Security (MS logon, DSM Plugin, Tunneling, VPN, etc.)
8. Next Versions and Feature Requests (2.x.x, 1.0.9 beta)

9. Read-Only (Release Candidates, Developer Forum, Archived Releases and Projects)

10. VNC-related products

This could probably still use some work (5,6, and 7 should probably combine), but I think it's a little clearer...

Anyway, that's my twelve cents. :)
Last edited by B on 2010-03-15 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
B
Super-Mod
Super-Mod

Re: Too Many Forums, No Sense

Postby supercoe » 2010-03-15 23:28

Agreed,

Oliver is working on upgrading the forum which will hopefully be done in a month or so more of testing. I'll PM him this idea as it would be a big improvement over the current layout.
http://www.chunkvnc.com - ChunkVNC - Free PC Remote control with the Open Source UltraVNC wrapper InstantSupport!
supercoe
Super-Mod
Super-Mod

Postby B » 2010-03-15 23:48

Thanks! I hope so.
B
Super-Mod
Super-Mod

Postby Oliver » 2010-03-16 01:11

Hi there,

not a bad idea to consolidate the subforums. Thanks for your work. The only question would be whether to do this before or after the move ;)
Oliver

How to Report Bugs Effectively
My homepage | WinDirStat
PGP-keys:
  • Forum or UltraVNC-related: 0xA2DD1DBD, E18B 2E2F 4F3E D143 4ED4 3E2B E172 FB55 A2DD 1DBD
  • Other matters: 0x0E88590F, 38B5 5EBA A470 C0F7 0942 81B8 C779 D829 0E88 590F
Oliver
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby supercoe » 2010-03-16 01:19

Oliver,

That all depends on how soon the move will be ;)

But yea, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the new layout kinks out of the way before we add new forum kinks.
http://www.chunkvnc.com - ChunkVNC - Free PC Remote control with the Open Source UltraVNC wrapper InstantSupport!
supercoe
Super-Mod
Super-Mod

Postby redge » 2010-03-16 01:50

9 should be enough

remove beginner question... merge to general help
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
redge
Super-Mod
Super-Mod

Postby JDaus » 2010-05-14 14:19

B wrote:Hi. I think the current forum setup is confusing to both new AND experienced users.
thankyou ... I have been meaning to bring this up again, but have not found time to do all I have committed to, let alone structure this in the way you have.

even if the existing sections that are no longer stable release versions, when made read-only, and placed in an archives area ... this would make it much simpler, and be easy to implement NOW. no trying to merge sections etc ... just create new archives area, move old crap, make read-only ... finished.

(at least cor the short-term)
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
VNC2Me - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solutions
SecureTech
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Postby mark6levine » 2011-08-29 16:54

I don’t think having too many forums is a problem. The problem may be if there is not a particular order and you see confusing categories. In that case, you may feel lost when you come in here. I think the important thing is to have a well organized website, so every time you visit it, you feel ok when checking every page or thread. I also think there should be a clear division between topics so you can access the site and then go directly to the place you want to go, and you don’t waste time searching for the thread you want to go. To finalize I think the upgrading that has been applied lately is jut intelligent, because now things look more organized and simplified. I also come to visit this site often and at the beginning I was a bit lost, but that doesn’t happen anymore. I think this site is just better now.
mark6levine

Return to Off topic posts (Sandbox)