Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SCPrompt - SC on Steroids (7, 8, 10, 2k8+) 26/3/20

Single Click discussions / bugs
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Re: Controlling the application

Post by JDaus »

pecket wrote:Customer runs help.exe which generates a random number, for example 1234, and executes the vncviewer with the following switches:
-id 1234 -sslproxy -kill -autoreconnect -connect 10.10.10.10:443
The number is meanwhile shown to the customer and the technician asks for this number.
why not just use uvnc instead of scIII ? You would need to modify commandline options a little, but nothing major ... this is (basically) what scprompt does in usermode ...
faba wrote:I know that clicking on exit in the scprompt systray menu removes the server and it works fine but if you forget it before you click on restart - for example after installing an app - you got a major problem.
didn't think about this situation, perhaps installing scprompt into the common startup when servicemode starts. this would mean scprompt starts automatically after logon. then when scprompt exits, check if shortcut exists & remove if necessary.

as for modifying the installed ultravnc.ini file, it is necessary to use the existing uvnc_service, otherwise it would not work properly when uvnc_service already exists (would have to remove the existing service to install scprompt version. not nice thing to do. nicer to use existing, modify slightly, then restart service).
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Re: SCPrompt 2009 (Vista Capable - SC or Server 1.0.8.0) 1/1

Post by JDaus »

call for help !!!

scprompt is now fairly stable (a few minor things to fix up), and we need some good documentation to help new users.

for those users that have the time, please consider this to help out others.

perhaps making a new thread in "vnc related products" would be the easiest way for the moment.

thanks in advance.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
ctusa

Post by ctusa »

I have planned to work on documentation but I cannot manage to make sc_prompt work.

If and when... I will document sc_prompt to show my gratitude to JDaus and community.

Kevin
Last edited by ctusa on 2010-06-12 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
ProPeace

Post by ProPeace »

Sorry, as I'm building my activity, I don't have any time left... :|

If I Had some, I would have quickly built a wiki.
Last edited by ProPeace on 2010-06-12 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

JDaus wrote:call for help !!!

scprompt is now fairly stable (a few minor things to fix up), and we need some good documentation to help new users.

for those users that have the time, please consider this to help out others.

perhaps making a new thread in "vnc related products" would be the easiest way for the moment.

thanks in advance.
Hey JD - not to backtrack here - but I believe there is still the fairly 'major' bug in users grabbing your latest Alpha from late April and not being able to get it to work without modifying the DEFAULT 'UseSC_Prompt=1' to 'UseSC_Prompt=0' (otherwise they get the BLACK screen when the client tries to connect back to the server) - and also the need for the iExpress version's built client to run as admin since server-mode is ALSO DEFAULT.

Those two things are the things that threw me when I first tried the app and that caused me such headache. I believe they're easily fixable and will be glad to help you - but I think they're critical to people (especially new) using SCprompt - or otherwise they probably get frustrated and move on. Let me know my friend.

Thanks,

Kevin
Last edited by kmruss on 2010-06-21 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
B

Post by B »

That build is using UVNC 1.0.8.2 which has broken multiple monitor support and broken repeater functionality. Can I just substitute 1.0.8.0 manually before running the creator?
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

B wrote:That build is using UVNC 1.0.8.2 which has broken multiple monitor support and broken repeater functionality. Can I just substitute 1.0.8.0 manually before running the creator?
When the sc_prompt feature was added to the UVNC server, rudi figured that it would only be used in usermode, therefore it only shows the screen of the user that has runs winvnc. in the case of the servicemode, this is a system account, which doesn't have a screen.

i can substitute the server that was updated by pgmoney, which allows for switching of the screen to the current active desktop, but the way i use existing services means that you would still have this problem if the client already has UVNC server installed.

i can create a work-around for that too, but i am stuck which way to go:
  • 1) Check the version number of the current winvnc.exe that is running as a service, if it is one of the known versions to have trouble running sc_prompt in service mode, then "FORCE" deny the use of sc_prompt for that service.

2)Add a INI setting to deny use of sc_prompt for use of ANY existing service, regardless of version number
There are advantages and disadvantages for both of the above, point #2 will be easier to maintain and program, but may be a problem after the sc_prompt has been fixed. Point #1 will be a better solution, but will mean a program update is needed for each additional version of UVNC server that is found to have problems. the creation of this code is going to take some time to create & troubleshoot, and i am not sure when i would find the time...

update is coming in the next day or two, which should fix most problems people are having with the current beta release.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

UPDATED SCPrompt RYO Package

New Alpha File released that should solve alot of your troubles ...

Download Latest Alpha
faba wrote:If I activate service mode and restart the pc with Vista I got during shutdown an UltraVNC message that the password is not set. After restart I got an UltraVNC configuration dialog which is respawned all the time and many instances of winvnc.exe are started which make everything sluggish.

I am using Iexpress, UseSC_Prompt=0 (because of the black screen) and MAIN_DISABLE_UAC=0. I am running the VNC instance as admin through a manifest file.
If an existing UVNC_SERVICE is found in the registry, SCPrompt will attempt to use this service to create the remote connection (rather then removing existing service). this requires the following:
1) adding the "-connect 123.123..... " to the ultravnc.ini file in the service directory
2) (re)starting uvnc_service to create the connection

so if you have not set a password after installing the ultravnc server, then it will ask for it on startup. simply get client to input a password into the password field, and click ok.
faba wrote:There is no systray icon after restart to close UltraVNC and it respawns all the time. The only thing that has worked for me was to remove the service from console "sc delete uvnc_service" and restart the system.
There is now a "Tools" tray menu which contains the "Force Remove" which will force removal of ultravnc service, and remove "service_commandline" options from the ultravnc.ini file from the same directory as the service was found.
kmruss wrote:I believe there is still the fairly 'major' bug in users grabbing your latest Alpha from late April and not being able to get it to work without modifying the DEFAULT 'UseSC_Prompt=1' to 'UseSC_Prompt=0' (otherwise they get the BLACK screen when the client tries to connect back to the server) - and also the need for the iExpress version's built client to run as admin since server-mode is ALSO DEFAULT.
1) The builder has been updated, which should solve the problem with not including all the files in the IExpress file
2) The winvnc.exe app has been changed with a fixed version from pgmoney that should solve the "black screen" issues found with "service mode".

NOTE:
if someone can list any bugs, and maintain that list it will make it easier for me to update the scprompt app, as i will not have to trawl through massive posts looking for the bugs.

i spent half of my time today, making sure i had all the bugs discussed, rather then squashing them.

Enjoy

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
kmruss

Post by kmruss »

JDaus wrote:if someone can list any bugs, and maintain that list it will make it easier for me to update the scprompt app, as i will not have to trawl through massive posts looking for the bugs.

i spent half of my time today, making sure i had all the bugs discussed, rather then squashing them.

Enjoy
AWESOME JD - thanks! We're leaving for vacation at the end of this week - so I'll be majorly pressed for time - but I'll try to test this and see what my initial results are trying to build from scratch, etc. - and if I find anything.

I'll be glad to maintain a BUG LIST for us. Would best place to do that be though for me to make a post at your vnc2me.org site? (since I can create a DEDICATED thread for that?) Just give me your thoughts and I'll make it happen.

Great to also see the extra 'removal feature' - as I had a client recently where I thought it should have removed itself (the Scprompt client) - and they rebooted their server some time later and I got a connection all of a sudden. :) I then just went into services and put it to MANUAL startup and then kicked myself off - and so far, no extra connects - although not sure if I'll have any trouble getting the scprompt client to 'work' again (haven't had them ask me to connect/fix anything for them again yet).

Thanks again - let me know on the above.

P.S. Lastly, I got the notification for both this forum and your own vnc2me believe it or not - hopefully that is fixed now! :)

Kevin
Last edited by kmruss on 2010-06-28 14:55, edited 3 times in total.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

kmruss wrote:I'll be glad to maintain a BUG LIST for us. Would best place to do that be though for me to make a post at your vnc2me.org site?
I think a new post on the vnc2me forums is a great idea.

I will look again at getting flyspray incorporated into a site. I think moving the scprompt project to its own site is a good idea, and will look into this when time, as this would save confusion in the future.
kmruss wrote:Great to also see the extra 'removal feature' - as I had a client recently where I thought it should have removed itself (the Scprompt client) - and they rebooted their server some time later and I got a connection all of a sudden. :)
I thought this may be a nice addition considering the troubles some people have had, btw note: it doesn't remove any files, only deletes settings from ultravnc.ini & service.

additionally, several measures have been put in place to try to insure all settings are changed back to original, wherever possible.
kmruss wrote:P.S. Lastly, I got the notification for both this forum and your own vnc2me believe it or not - hopefully that is fixed now! :)
:oops:

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ... think it depends on the mood of the forum at the time ... :P
Last edited by JDaus on 2010-06-29 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Re: SCPrompt 2009 (Vista, win_7,2008, 2008R2 cap1.0.8.2) 26/

Post by JDaus »

BUG #1
-sc_prompt no longer working at all (appears I completely broke it when trying to fix for existing service ...

think I know where fault lies, will test & upload when time

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
forumator

Post by forumator »

Writing my first post to say big thanks to JDaus for continuing to work on such an awesome app...perfect for what I need, works good + clean simple interface. I have a few newbie questions as well, maybe somebody can help clarify for me...

1) Is it possible to hide the "service mode" option from the GUI, but still retain the functionality under the hood? I read a post about this on the VNC2ME forums but the proposed solution did not work for me, it just unchecked the box :/

2) I only have one Logo.jpg I need for the GUI, but whenever I try to build the exe it says I need Logo0.jpg, Logo1.jpg, and Logo2.jpg. I may be doing something wrong here or it may be a bug, since I read in some older patch notes that it should be possible to use only Logo.jpg /shrug

3) Probably most important of these little issues, for my purposes, is whether it's possible to have a query window popup on the viewer, that way the request can be denied/ignored. I know how to do this for a normal VNC connection, in the server settings, but is it possible in a reverse VNC connection such as SC? EDIT>>>So it seems that there is a sc_prompt command that would do just this...but where do I enter the command when building the executable, one of the .ini files perhaps?

4) I want to use encryption of some sort, so if there's any easy to read links comparing SSH vs DSM and how to implement either of them, would be most grateful :) EDIT>>>After some more reading, looks like secureVNCplugin will do the trick...anybody have issues with this and SCprompt2009?

That's all I got, even if none of these questions are answered I am glad this program is being worked on, love it.

Oh and big props to kmruss for his feedback, his posts have been very enlightening!
Last edited by forumator on 2010-06-29 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

forumator wrote:Writing my first post to say big thanks to JDaus for continuing to work on such an awesome app...perfect for what I need, works good + clean simple interface.
:) your welcome ... i like to hear it is useful to some :P
forumator wrote:1) Is it possible to hide the "service mode" option from the GUI, but still retain the functionality under the hood? I read a post about this on the VNC2ME forums but the proposed solution did not work for me, it just unchecked the box :/
The thought never crossed my mind that this may even be wanted by some people ... thats something that i will add to my NEW FEATURE REQUEST SYSTEM
forumator wrote:2) I only have one Logo.jpg I need for the GUI, but whenever I try to build the exe it says I need Logo0.jpg, Logo1.jpg, and Logo2.jpg. I may be doing something wrong here or it may be a bug, since I read in some older patch notes that it should be possible to use only Logo.jpg /shrug
if your using the batch files, then manual editing is required when creating the IExpress version ... the builder should work fine for IExpress & 7zip, and the 7zip batch version should be fine also ...
forumator wrote:3) Probably most important of these little issues, for my purposes, is whether it's possible to have a query window popup on the viewer, that way the request can be denied/ignored. I know how to do this for a normal VNC connection, in the server settings, but is it possible in a reverse VNC connection such as SC? EDIT>>>So it seems that there is a sc_prompt command that would do just this...but where do I enter the command when building the executable, one of the .ini files perhaps?
it is meant to be working ... but it is a BUG IN SCPROMPT 0.10.6.40 and should be fixed on the next release ... watch this space over the coming days (i hope) ...
forumator wrote:4) I want to use encryption of some sort, so if there's any easy to read links comparing SSH vs DSM and how to implement either of them, would be most grateful :) EDIT>>>After some more reading, looks like secureVNCplugin will do the trick...anybody have issues with this and SCprompt2009?
if it works fine with UVNC server 1.0.8.2 (and by all accounts it does) then should be fine with scprompt, as thats all it uses for connection ...
forumator wrote:Oh and big props to kmruss for his feedback, his posts have been very enlightening!
Thanks for noticing him also, as he is doing a great job at getting some sort of sense into my ranbling thoughts & updates ... he deserves big props :D

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

FlySpray has been added to the VNC2Me Website, this should assist in squashing any bugs, and addressing which features get priority into the future (all tasks can be voted on, to assist the dev team to address which features are required by more people (and hence should get a higher priority for inclusion)

I will look at Adding a dedicated section for SCPrompt to the vnc2me website, or simply move it to its own domain / sub-domain ... just to save (possible) confusion in the future.

any thoughts / comments would be good

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
B

Post by B »

JDaus wrote:
B wrote:That build is using UVNC 1.0.8.2 which has broken multiple monitor support and broken repeater functionality. Can I just substitute 1.0.8.0 manually before running the creator?
When the sc_prompt feature was added to the UVNC server, rudi figured that it would only be used in usermode, therefore it only shows the screen of the user that has runs winvnc. in the case of the servicemode, this is a system account, which doesn't have a screen.

i can substitute the server that was updated by pgmoney, which allows for switching of the screen to the current active desktop, but the way i use existing services means that you would still have this problem if the client already has UVNC server installed.
I'm not sure I follow you here. The big bug in 1.0.8.2, for me, is the broken repeater functionality. The monitor support issue runs a distant second. (On a side note, SCPrompt can't simply quiesce an existing service instead of trying to use it?)

More to the point for me, will the latest editions of SCPrompt still use UltraVNC 1.0.8.2, meaning they effectively can't be used with a repeater? (And I can't fix it by just putting the Winvnc.exe from 1.0.8.0 in the scprompt subfolder prior to a build?)
forumator

Post by forumator »

JDaus wrote:The thought never crossed my mind that this may even be wanted by some people ... thats something that i will add to my NEW FEATURE REQUEST SYSTEM
Yeah it seems to confuse a few of my home users (but then most things do) so just wondering if it was an easy fix, not worth a lot of effort...but just to be clear, I'm just asking about removing the gui button, not removing the functionality, I still want it to run in service mode by default of course.
JDaus wrote:if your using the batch files, then manual editing is required when creating the IExpress version ... the builder should work fine for IExpress & 7zip, and the 7zip batch version should be fine also ...
Ah should have tried that with newest release, I had been using the batch iexpress since the builder was giving errors before.
JDaus wrote:it is meant to be working ... but it is a BUG IN SCPROMPT 0.10.6.40 and should be fixed on the next release ... watch this space over the coming days (i hope) ...
I see, but I must be doing something wrong because in previous versions I never got the prompt either, the viewer would always just automatically open the connection.

Thanks for the responses, and your time of course :)

Oh and having a page dedicated to this app would help it get some more exposure I think, since as it is now it's kind of hidden away. More people should know about this app :)
Last edited by forumator on 2010-06-29 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
marcgistel

Re: SCPrompt Support Ap (2K, XP, Vista, 7, 2008 1.0.8.2) 26/

Post by marcgistel »

hi JD, hi others ;)

as I wrote JD some days ago I am able to help this project in the next few months. With this post I want to offer my time and knowledge for this project. If someone has something to do or where I can help or to find the reason of a bug or something please tell it to me. I will finish tomorrow my education as programmer. So I think I can help the project.
Let me know where to help!

best regards
marc
brukernavn32

Re: Bugs

Post by brukernavn32 »

Hi

Thanks for keeping this project alive.

Here are my findings with the SCPrompt2010_roll-your-own_0.10.6.40 package:

Language support - Missing variables for language file in this code:
TrayTip("SCPrompt", "Downloading Configuration File", 30)
Might scare end user if program is renamed.
For the same reason the About dialog would be nice to be able to translate.

Logo: In Radio mode click Manual and then click any of the radio buttons.
If the associated Logo(x) file is bigger than 196x181 it will no
longer scale down and the object order will put the image over
the radio buttons so they stop responding to mouse click.
Workaround is easy. Just scale images properly to 196x181.[/img]
brukernavn32

Post by brukernavn32 »

Ok, so I ended up working my way though the source code extracted from the resource file added to the scprompt.exe. Although all comment are removed and complete project is in one file it is a great way to distribute the source - thanks.

Here is a few lines of code that are added to my version. They will disable controls in the window when user click Connect. Also I've comment out code that access the file system unnecessary. ie the search for vhook driver that is not implemented. Makes the exe file more acceptable to the Anubis scanner.

Code: Select all

Case $subitem
			$V2M_EventDisplay = V2M_EventLog("GUI - Connecting", $V2M_EventDisplay, "1")
			$V2M_Status[11] = 1
			GUICtrlSetState($tcpipitem, $GUI_DISABLE)
			GUICtrlSetState($portitem, $GUI_DISABLE)
			GUICtrlSetState($subitem, $GUI_DISABLE)			
			GUICtrlSetState($YTS_AdminCheckbox, $GUI_DISABLE)	
			GUISetState(@SW_MINIMIZE, $LLF_GUI)  
forumator

Post by forumator »

Anyone know if JDaus ever put up a new version? He mentioned a fix to the scprompt bug but looks like it hasn't been updated for a month or so :|
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Re: Bugs

Post by JDaus »

Update FINALLY released ...
JDaus wrote:BUG #1
-sc_prompt no longer working at all
Fixed in version 0.10.8.41
brukernavn32 wrote:Language support - Missing variables for language file
Fixed in version 0.10.8.41
brukernavn32 wrote:Logo: In Radio mode click Manual and then click any of the radio buttons.
should be fixed in version 0.10.8.41. If not, please let me know what OS your seeing this on still
brukernavn32 wrote:For the same reason the About dialog would be nice to be able to translate.
Will add this to the feature requests list ...

Edit ...
Added link to download
Added more details
Last edited by JDaus on 2010-08-23 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

B wrote:I'm not sure I follow you here. The big bug in 1.0.8.2, for me, is the broken repeater functionality. The monitor support issue runs a distant second. (On a side note, SCPrompt can't simply quiesce an existing service instead of trying to use it?)

More to the point for me, will the latest editions of SCPrompt still use UltraVNC 1.0.8.2, meaning they effectively can't be used with a repeater? (And I can't fix it by just putting the Winvnc.exe from 1.0.8.0 in the scprompt subfolder prior to a build?)
Hi B ... sorry for the none reply ...

you should be able to just swap 1.0.8.0 or a pgmoney custom version into scprompt ... that was the whole idea of scprompt in the first place... that when an updated server version was released, it could be used right away with the scprompt app, just by swapping the winvnc.exe and rebuilding ...

i believe all commandlines are the same between the two versions ... so i have not been too worried about testing with version 1.0.8.0 ... but if you find a specific problem while using that version, please let me know, and i will try to get it working for you.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
B

Re: SCPrompt - SC on Steroids (2K, XP, Vista, 7, 2008) 23/8/

Post by B »

Oh, good! I really wasn't clear whether it was intended for "drop ins" like that. Thanks.
sruf

Post by sruf »

hi there,

first of all, thanks for your work! it is great to have such a nice tool for use! :)

i have just one question:

is it possible to use scprompt on a win 7-pc without admin-rights?
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

sruf wrote:is it possible to use scprompt on a win 7-pc without admin-rights?
yes, but it will not work as good as it will being run as admin.

you need to use iexpress when building, as 7z needs admin rights to extract

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
forumator

Post by forumator »

thanks JDaus for the update! =]
tsume

Post by tsume »

stupid question... is there a way to use this without disabling Aero? I edited the uvnc ini thing, and aero still gets disabled even though the box is not checked in the admin properties when its running. I think it is the scprompt that's disabling it and not winvnc but im not sure.
jeffik

Post by jeffik »

Hello All. I used to use ultravnc sc a few years ago, then i started using teamviewer. Last week they started limiting my sessions to 5 minutes then kicked me out. They want $700 for a subscription, so it's time to figure out how to to use scprompt. I have managed to download and unzip the file and create the scprompt.exe. So I am trying to understand how to make it work. Do i send the scrompt.exe file to the other person? Then what do I need to run to accept the connection on my end? This is how i remember when I used the old version. Now I am running windows 7 64 bit. I read that there might be a manual, or documentation as to how to set this up. If somebody can help me figure it out once I i will write the user docmentatioin...
Thank you in advance. You guys have all done a great job.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

tsume wrote:is there a way to use this without disabling Aero?
Leaving Aero running will slow down VNC working to a refresh taking possibly ten seconds ... but you should be able to disable it by setting up the scprompt.ini and the ultravnc.ini ... cannot remember the last time i tested NOT disabling aero ... so let me know if it still not working properly.

try downloading debug viewer from sysinternals (now microsoft) ... it should say if it is disabling aero or not ... try it and let me know
jeffik wrote:They (teamviewer) want $700 for a subscription, so it's time to figure out how to to use scprompt.
OUCH ... thats a good enough reason ...

ok, here is a bare bones to getting the scprompt working on a local machine.
  • 1) setup scprompt to connect to localhost (or 127.0.0.1)
    2) run UVNC viewer in listen mode
    3) run scprompt without building (scprompt/scprompt.exe) - this allows you to run, change settings, re-run without building
this should allow you to test that your viewer is recieving scprompt connection, and check that things work locally without having to setup port forwarding and all that ...
then:
  • 4)Find your External IP address or setup dyndns.org account (or similar) and use their free name>IP address service.
    5) Build SCPrompt using above address
    6) port forward 5500 (by default) to your local computer that you want viewer running on (see portforward.com for easy instructions)
    7) get a local computer or laptop directly connected to the internet (using another internet connection method to your main one). this allows you to work out whats wrong, without having to rely on someone else.
    8) run scprompt on second PC, making sure its using address from step 4.
thats a quick and nasty way of getting it running ... make sure you can get it running on your local PC first, then step out from there ...

documentation would be greatfully accepted ... :D
Last edited by JDaus on 2010-09-10 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
jeffik

Post by jeffik »

JDaus, thanks for the fast reply and information. I will try it today. I re read the readme after I posted the first message and I started to see how to do it, but your extra comments helped.

Many thanks for the great work you have don.

Oh, I did try to register at vnc2me.org, but never got the confirmation email.