Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Blank Screen after Wake on LAN from S3 mode

kiskadee

Post by kiskadee »

Hi,

computers that follow the PC99 standard (Intel 810 chipset for example) support WOL from S3. But the standard says that there is no need to re-activate the video and therefor the mouse or keyboard must be used to wake up the video locally.

Because of that I get a blank screen after waking up from S3 and connecting with VNC. The "Toggle Remote Blank Monitor" button just turns on and off the video signal (green LED vs. blinking yellow LED on monitor), but the screen stays blank. After moving the mouse the video turns on...

Is there a way to re-activate the video remotely?

Michael
Last edited by kiskadee on 2009-03-12 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
cam

Post by cam »

Hi Michael.

This is exactly what I wanted to ask just now. The screen doesn't unblank unless I press a key on my laptop, which is not so useful if I am working remotely, since the view from the VNC client is also blank. I'd love to find a solution this to this...

Thanks,

Cameron
Last edited by cam on 2006-04-01 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
hagglelad

Re: Blank Screen after Wake on LAN from S3 mode

Post by hagglelad »

I have this same problem on at least 2 PC's and a laptop... its infuriating.

All I want to do is wake from standby and control the computer remotely... is that really too much to ask?

The wake on lan (wol) works successfully but the mointor/video/display/screen or whatever you want to call it, doesn't become "active" when waking windows this way (from standby).

At this point when I try to connect via Remote Desktop / Real VNC / Ultra VNC, Remote Administrator or any ****ing remote control program for that matter it doesn't work. I either get a blank screen, an error message or the program just exits (depending on the Remote Control software)

What exactly is IT in windows that doesn't "activate" when waking it from standby???? Is there any program that will activate the "thing"?

Any help greatly appreciated..
hagglelad

Post by hagglelad »

Has anyone got any idea how to solve this problem? A year later and its still doing my head in!
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

Is Uvnc installed as a service?? or are you trying to wake a machine up remotely with uvnc?? if so i dont think the source has any commands for that..:(
Last edited by bevtech on 2007-09-20 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
YY

Post by YY »

The following are some tips I searched from internet, but I'm not sure if these can help.

1. Make sure you are using the latest motherboard chip set driver, and the latest display card driver.
2. Check the M/B BIOS setup if there is something like "reboot video on resume" or "Run VGABIOS if S3 Resume"? Try enabling it.
3. There is a tool called "MCE Standby Tool". You may try to see if it can solve this problem. Its offical site is here: www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm
ukdoc

Post by ukdoc »

Is there still no answer to this? It's an infuriating problem!!
jbassman

Post by jbassman »

Anyone come up with an answer? With the whole green thing more people are putting there machines into standby!
ukdoc

Post by ukdoc »

Has anyone got a solution to this? It's infuriating! I've searched all over to find some way to wake the damn screen up.

The only solution I have found so far:
Install cygwin
Install ssh server for cygwin
Install pstools from microsoft (there is a program called psshutdown which allows you to remotely shutdown / reboot computer)

Then you can log into an ssh session and run psshutdown to reboot the pc
Once it's rebooted the screen will be active and you can start a vnc session

It's ok to do occasionally but would be a total pain in the arse if you had to do this regularly. Unfortunately I've not come across any other solution that actually works. There certainly aren't any bios settings I can change!

Just a question regarding the first post. Is there any way of knowing in advance if a pc will wake up the video on a wake-on-lan from standby (ie find out chipset, network card etc)?
ukdoc

Post by ukdoc »

A quick update

This works on my pc, but may not work on others. The screen isn't blank if I wake-on-lan from hibernation, so I can ssh into my pc, do a psshutdown -h to make it hibernate, then wake it up again. This is obviously quicker than a full reboot.

Still nothing more elegant yet though.
footeo

Post by footeo »

Is there any fix or better workaround for this yet? I would rather not have to boot up from hibernate mode.
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

Found this prominent thread on google...
Yes a blank/dead screen aften Standby with Wake On LAN is annoying!!!

A work around solution is:
Using FUSION WOL wake up on LAN to poke the PC out of standby.
Then use RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) to login and poke/revive the screen (I run: mstsc /v:10.0.0.xx /console).
Either continue to use RDC or go back to your preferred VNC program.

Hope this helps...
Zero your Carbon Footprint?... Don't breed!
klystron

Post by klystron »

Here's a simpler way to remotely wake up the monitor after resume from standby. It doesn't depend on Windows Remote Desktop and works with both XP Home and XP Pro. Also gets to the root of the problem by using a Windows power management function call that controls monitor power state. Extensive googling found "FullResume.exe" (but no source code) thanks to http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FAQ/ ... aticWakeup which gives a good explanation of the problem and answer. Further googling found the use of SetThreadExecutionState for waking up display.

1. On computer that needs monitor to wake-up, download FullResume.exe http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=23 (thanks to Nomad101) or write your own app if you don't trust it, look at http://blogs.imeta.co.uk/nrees/archive/2008/09/02.aspx

2. Make desktop shortcut to FullResume.exe and keyboard shortcut to "CTRL + ALT + F"

3. Connect to machine (after using WOL or other indirect method) with Ultravnc and set scroll-lock to on F5.

4. Hit CTRL + ALT + F, which runs FullResume.exe and wakes up monitor instantly.

BTW, I don't see why this couldn't be incorporated directly into Ultravnc. I use Standby mode extensively as I'm sure many people do already and this was a big pain.
Last edited by klystron on 2008-12-30 21:53, edited 2 times in total.
workathome

Post by workathome »

I have tried the fullresume.exe but it does not work for me. When I press the short cut with the black screen, nothing happens.

I have made sure that the short cut key was active by trying it through VNC (when the screen is not blank).

What else could it be. Klystron, If you run fullresume when the screen is active, do you get an error message? I do.
klystron

Post by klystron »

Hi workathome, I do not get an error message, only a dosbox flashes briefly. What is the error message that you see?
workathome

Post by workathome »

Thanks klystron, the message is:
"The application could not start correctly (0x0000135), Click OK to stop the application"
netampere

Post by netampere »

just my own observations about my setup,
and how I eventually understood the reason VNC was blank after a
wakeonlan (wol) LAN wakeup, producing a dark screen

I call this "VNC blindness" :)
no miracle required to cure it, just doggedness

Dell Optiplex GS620/XP SP 2

the basic problem seemed to be hardware related:
the PC waking up from a suspend (S1 mode) does not power the graphics card and so VNC would always be blank.
the PC waking up from a hibernate (S3 mode) does power the graphics card and so VNC would always work

VNC sees the display!

Solution, the following always works:
set the BIOS to S3 mode
enabled Hibernate in the control panel "power options" "Hibernate" tab
turned off the screen saver (none)
set power options as follows:
"turn off monitor" to "never"
"turn off hard drive" to "never"
"system suspend" to "never"
"system Hibernate" to 1 hour (or whatever)

now when waking the PC with wol, the wake-up from S3
also powers the graphic card.

I am still trying to understand the complex relationships between
the power options on XP/SP2
"turn off monitor"
"turn off hard drive"
"system suspend"
"system Hibernate"
its still above my pay grade.

netampere
mastsato

Post by mastsato »

Not exactly what you are looking for but it helps.

From Ultra VNC push the button that sends Ctrl-Alt-Del to the host
Type sr <enter>

What happens is the shutdown screen will be on the remote computer.
the s chooses the shutdown button the r makes it restart the <enter> key initiates the restart.
Wait awhile then re-connect before it goes to sleep again.

Stu
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

Hello
After reading the great article in the Aug07 Maximum PC "Put Your PC To Sleep and Save Hundreds of Dollars", and after finding the article's roots on the web, I decided to give it a shot. I followed the instructions (as well as any info i could find online) to a T, and I can't get it to work right. .I need the system to be available for file serving to Xbox Media Center, and for printing from the wireless laptop (not sure if that will wake it up anyway, but hopeful). I would like to it sleep when nothing is going on.
I can enter S3 Sleep mode just fine, but it wakes up automatically after a second or 2. I assume this is because of normal network activity, so how do I get the system to know the difference between normal network refreshing stuff and an actual call for a file?

Here's my specs: Home-built system with an Abit AN8-SLi (Nforce 4) motherboard, fresh install of Windows XP. Networked via the on-board LAN.

[mod=494,1256243866]removed unrelated text[/mod]
Last edited by johnlee on 2009-10-22 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
G-l-l4X0r7

Post by G-l-l4X0r7 »

Well, i had the same problem waking my HTPC via WOL...

Here is a very simply solution with AutoHotKey:

Code: Select all

ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED := 0x00000001
ES_DISPLAY_REQUIRED := 0x00000002
ES_CONTINUOUS := 0x80000000
ES_USER_PRESENT := 0x00000004

#SingleInstance, Force

OnMessage(0x218, "func_WM_POWERBROADCAST")
Return

func_WM_POWERBROADCAST(wParam, lParam)
{
	global
	If (lParam = 0) {
		; PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND (7) oder PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY (6) oder PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC (18) etc.
		If (wParam = 18 or wParam = 7) {
			DllCall("SetThreadExecutionState", UInt, ES_DISPLAY_REQUIRED)
		}		
	}
	return
}
exitapp
On WOL wakeup windows only sends a PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC message which will not wakeup the display. Therefore you have call SetThreadExecutionState with ES_DISPLAY_REQUIRED to activate the display.

However, if you wake up your system with a keystroke, windows will send both PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC and PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY/SUSPEND und activates your display.

Most standby applications only react on PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY/SUSPEND which will not be fired if you wake your system via WOL.

And there is my problem, SetThreadExecutionState with ES_DISPLAY_REQUIRED won't send an PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY/SUSPEND message. So i can only activate the display bot not any sleeping applications like HTPC software waiting on PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY/SUSPEND.

The Code above can be easily converted in other languages like C to get a decent application running in the background to wake up the display on resume from standby.
wssddc

Post by wssddc »

The AutoHotKey script works for me (Dell Optiplex computers running XP). I actually just took the line that sends the ES_DISPLAY_REQUIRED message, compiled the script and scheduled the executable to run on the machine that was showing a black screen. What would be nice would be if the viewer could ask the server to perform this function.

It seems like rundll32 should be able to send ES_DISPLAY_REQUIRED as well. I tried

rundll32 kernel32,SetThreadExecutionState 2

but this doesn't work. Probably I have the syntax wrong.
redge

Post by redge »

what i did after blanck/black screen screen

admit you are connected to host with codec ZRLE and have blanck/black screen
go to vncviewer... options... select another encoding like hextile or anything except the one you have at first connect.
go to vncviewer... options... select back ZRLE and viewer can see again remote content.

if you have auto, you need to unselect auto and choice another codec.

tested with vncviewer 10961 28 April 2011
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
lanamason

Post by lanamason »

hi redge, i unselected auto, what codec do u recommend to change. appreciate the help.

Thx

Lana
SamSafeauto

Post by SamSafeauto »

i've been havng the same problem too! :(
B

Post by B »

I must be jaded, but I don't believe that you 3 people (lanamason, SamSafeauto, and stacyjones) joined the UltraVNC forum only to post one-line comments to a 5 year old thread about extended sleep modes. I just don't believe it. We'll see.

Edit:....aaaaaaand stacyjones added her spam signature. Who's next? :(
B

Post by B »

And more brain-addled spammers coming in. Locking this old thread up now. :(

(If anyone else really needs to discuss WOL in S3 sleep mode for UltraVNC, please start a new thread.)