Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UltraVNC instructions?

sbilheimer

UltraVNC instructions?

Post by sbilheimer »

I'm not a developer and just installed Ultra on server and viewer. This may be a stupid question, but what do I do next? There are no instructions anywhere. Can someone just direct me to some instructions. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

what are you trying to do?
sbilheimer

Post by sbilheimer »

I will need to set up the server on an XP machine about five hours away.
On my Win2000 or XP machine at home, I need to manipulate a software program on the server.

I'm testing at home using the 2000 computer as server and my XP machine as viewer. I installed the program on both, but have not got a clue how to configure either so I can get to the server from the viewer.

If I can figure it all out, then I'll install the server on the computer that's five hours away.

Everyone says this is so easy. Well, it probably would be if I had any instructions :(.

Thanks
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

All you have to do is have the viewer running in "listen mode" there should be an icon for it where you installed it. then on the server machine, run the server and right click on system tray icon, choose "add new client", a dialog box will come up. Type the machine running in "listen mode" ip address...and poof your connected. You will get a window with the viewer machine's desktop and you will be able to work as if you were sitting at that machine. The only downfall i can see from your end is that the machine you need to connect to is five hours away. You need a way to get the Viewer running before you can connect to it. Hope this helped. Good luck.
sbilheimer

IT WORKS!!!!!! But more questions

Post by sbilheimer »

Before I got your message, I found some instructions. It was truly simple. They should post instructions here for people like me.

OK, here are a few more questions:

1. Server five hours away will be on all the time. I assume you mean on the Internet. Hopefully, I can get a cable modem (no DSL there :( ). But if I can't, will this work with dialup if someone at the location dials up?

2. Is there something to make this more secure? By secure, does this mean less likely for someone to hack in?

I downloaded two plug-ins:

*MSRC4
*Crypto

Again, I have no clue what these are or do, but figured I may need them.

Thanks again.
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

Not quite sure about the dialup thing...didn't know anyone still used dialup, hahaha. I have only used the MSRC plugin what you have to do there is install it in the same directory as VNC, then start the program (viewer or server it doesn't matter) check the "Use DSMPlugin" box and then select the plugin from the combo box. Click the Config button next to the combo box make sure all the paths are where you installed VNC. Click GenKey. This generates a key file called rc4.key. copy this file and move it to the exact same directory on the other machine. When you are ready to make a connection just make sure that the checkbox is checked on both machines and the plugin is selected and you will be using an encrypted connection. Just make sure that the file paths to VNC on both machines is exactly the same.
sbilheimer

Plugin not showing up

Post by sbilheimer »

There was no executable, so looked in info doc and it said to copy the directory to the UltraVNC directory. I did that and double clicked on the task tray icon for the server. It said no plugin detected. And it wasn't in the drop-down list.

I tried on both machines.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Susan
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

First I should warn you that these plugins can be somewhat difficult to work with(see my earlier post). There should be a file named MSRC4Plugin.dsm, this file needs to go in the VNC directory, after that you may need to reboot the machine for it to show up??? Then follow previous instructions. I would also look at the mailing lists you can get to them through ultravnc.com, a lot of other people including myself have had problems getting this to work. Good luck 8)
sbilheimer

Got it

Post by sbilheimer »

I downloaded all the source code. Guess I don't need that. Now I have the .dsm file. Am trying it. Thanks for your help. Will check out mailing lists if I have problems. Susan
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

No problem...good luck, let me know if you need anything else
Andrew
sbilheimer

Seems to be fine?

Post by sbilheimer »

I had to restart the server. It seems to work. How do I know it's working?

It doesn't give a message or anything, but I placed the rc4 key in the same directory on both machines. First I got the error, then I restarted the server and no problem.

If this works, it's the best! And no need for GotoMyPC!!!!

Is it really this simple or am I missing something?

Susan
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

No it is really that simple. It does not give you any kind of message telling you that it works. If the checkbox is marked and the plugin is in the listbox and you try to connect and get no error then you know it is working.
sbilheimer

Post by sbilheimer »

So great! I won't bother you anymore. Unless there are any problems that I should know about! :-) You have been incredibly helpful. I cannot thank you enough. Susan
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

No problem I wouldn't have gotten my app working if it wasn't for people on mailing lists and forums like this one that is what they are there for. Good luck...let me know if you need anything else. Andrew
UltraSam
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by UltraSam »

You can also check if the plugin is actually used by displaying the "Status" window in vncviewer ("i" button in the toolbar), once connected. The name of the plugin is displayed only if used.
You can also display the "connection info" window from the vncviewer system menu (right-click on the vncviewer title-bar once connected).
UltraSam
sbilheimer

IP address question

Post by sbilheimer »

Someone just told me that if the IP address starts with either 192.68... or 10.... then this will be a problem. The IP of the test server machine I set up is 192.68...

Can someone please explain why/if this is a problem and what I need to do to fix it? Is it because it is a dynamic vs. a static IP?

I don't understand because it worked fine.

Thanks!
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

It could be a problem because the 192.168.x.x and the 10.x.x.x address are private IP addresses...and if your two machines are not on the same network they won't connect using those addresses, but since you have a connection it sounds like the two machines are on the same network so I wouldn't worry about it too much
sbilheimer

Post by sbilheimer »

In the real scenario, the server will be five hours away, therefore, not on the same network. Someone is telling me about configuring a NAT router (whatever that is). The real server (not the test I'm doing from one machine at my house to another machine at my house) is on dial-up right now. Hoping to get cable modem.

Susan
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

How are you connecting to the internet...are you using VPN, Citrix, etc. Or do you simply just sign into your ISP?
sbilheimer

Post by sbilheimer »

My home computers (viewer) are hooked up through a router on DSL. The remote computer is just on dial-up right now with no router.
asturtz

Post by asturtz »

When you start up you must login to something is it a company network or AOL or your ISP ie. Verizon, Comcast, etc.