Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

1.1.9.6 (Please use this versions before reporting a bug)

twagner

Re: 1.1.9.6 (Please use this versions before reporting a bug

Post by twagner »

hi,
2 points:
1. I use a "background.bmp" as notice for the user by "Enable Blank Monitor on Viewer Request" in the admin properties.
it don`t work in ultravnc win2000 version, other WinXP, Win7 (32bit & 64bit) work all right. (Sorry Win8 no eval.)

2. The uvnc_settings.exe in win2000 version e.g. for Win2000 Server, only will start after install MS Visual Studio 2008 C++ SP1 Redistributable(s),
thats not a runner, it`s bigger than the setup by himself. And of course no info that this package were needed.
At the time i use the uvnc_settings version from uvnc 1.0.9.6.2 (20120216). But that`s not a final solution for the (short) future.

any solutions???

thanks and merry christmas :thumbs:

twagner
Die Welt geht Remote . . . . / the World goes remote . . . .
www.vnc-world.com
Writer of the first book about UltraVNC!!!
tbran6

Post by tbran6 »

Rudi De Vos wrote:Chunk is maintained by someone else, you gonna have better luck posting it there.

VNC give this error when winvnc.exe is started and the ultravnc.ini doesn't have a passwd.
If you can preset the ultravnc.ini before running the compiler you don't have the warning.

Hi Rudi,
My ultravnc.ini does have the password, but I still get the error that a password is not set. Below is what the WinVNC.log shows. There is a reference to an "L" drive, but I dont have any drives mapped or mounted.

Sat Dec 21 12:57:11 2013
vncproperties.cpp : saving current settings to registry
vncproperties.cpp : enddialog (OK)
vncproperties.cpp : dialog result = 1
l:\ultravnc_installer_other\ultravnc\ultravnc project root\ultravnc\winvnc\winvnc\vncpasswd.h : PASSWD : ToText called
vncproperties.cpp : warning - empty password
Sat Dec 21 12:57:17 2013
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

"Enable Blank Monitor on Viewer Request" only works with OS's that support transparent layers. (xp-win7)
w2k: not supported
win8: not supported

"uvnc_settings.exe"Compiler settings modified to avoid the dependency

"ultravnc.ini password"
valid passwd (sample "aaaaaaaa")
passwd=502CC0385FCED91B95
invalid passwd
passwd=mypasswd
It's not because you have something as passwd string it's a valid password.

The correct way to add a password to the ultravnc.ini is via winvnc or via the setpasswd.exe
setpasswd.exe mypasswd
this add passwd=DE2A73CE1500270B90
tbran6

Post by tbran6 »

Rudi De Vos wrote:"Enable Blank Monitor on Viewer Request" only works with OS's that support transparent layers. (xp-win7)
w2k: not supported
win8: not supported

"uvnc_settings.exe"Compiler settings modified to avoid the dependency

"ultravnc.ini password"
valid passwd (sample "aaaaaaaa")
passwd=502CC0385FCED91B95
invalid passwd
passwd=mypasswd
It's not because you have something as passwd string it's a valid password.

The correct way to add a password to the ultravnc.ini is via winvnc or via the setpasswd.exe
setpasswd.exe mypasswd
this add passwd=DE2A73CE1500270B90
Thanks Rudi,

setpasswd.exe will not allow a password over 8 characters. At least on my 3 machines. Is this by design?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

VNC passwd is max 8 chars. ( rfb protocol)
Not all fields block at 8 chars, but only 8 are used and saved.
Entering a password >8 get limited to the first 8 chars.

If you need longer passwords, you need to use the encryption plugin.
The plugin allow to use a pass phraze.

Home usage or temp internet connection can be done without encryption and a 8 char passwd.
But for vnc r-running as service it's recommended to use the encryption plugin with a
+predefined key
or
+a bigger passphraze
Kirck

Post by Kirck »

Hi, Any news about the new addon version?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

addons are the latest version
updated 18/12/2013 ( version is 1.1.9.4)
mdrollins83

Post by mdrollins83 »

I have an issue with 1.1.9.6 not allowing me to use the Start Menu command or clicking the Start button during a remote session with the host computer. Anyone else experiencing this issue? I'm new to UVNC, so I'm not sure if maybe it is just something I'm missing in my configuration. The host machine is running Windows XP. I have another host machine that I have UVNC installed on and it seems to work okay on it, so I'm not sure what the issue really is. Any suggestions?
Kirck

Post by Kirck »

Rudi De Vos wrote:addons are the latest version
updated 18/12/2013 ( version is 1.1.9.4)
Ok, where can I download the bin version? Thanks
plants

Post by plants »

Hi Rudi,
Firstly, I'd like to report some very annoying behaviour in a specific scenario. Once again, it relates to a less-than-perfect internet signal and a reverse connection

In all cases, I have the viewer crash out without reporting errors or any of the deadlocks seen previously. The cases below refer to two computers connected simultaneously both using the reverse, server-initiated connection

Case 1:Vista x86 laptop, far from wireless router + a Win7x64 laptop near
Case 2:Windows XP desktop far from wireless + Win8x64 Ethernet

The viewer task self-terminates continually under these conditions and the only temporary remedy is to let one computer connect then rapidly switch off the listening port!

Secondly, although less importantly, concerns the fix you put in that draws the screen on initial connection (i.e.: visibly one block at a time). I understand why you chose to reveal the initial screen draw - however I think it has highlighted an inefficiency in the initial connection behaviour... What it seems to do is draw the screen (as described), then it blanks the screen (grey screen), then there is a pause for about the same time that it took to draw the screen initially, and then you're given control. For me, it seems as though it's asking for the screen information twice, i.e.: the initial draw that you kindly added (mostly on my request) - although useful in poor bandwidth conditions - doesn't contribute to the screen buffer. Therefore, doubling the time one has to wait to gain control

Thirdly, and on a related note, does any bandwidth testing occur on first connection - i.e.: prior to any screen information being sent?
I ask because the initial draw can take a very long time, especially if the auto-selection of encoding method chooses something really inappropriate!

Many thanks as always, and happy new year!
T
cjholly

Post by cjholly »

I have 1.1.9.6 installed. When I use the mirror driver, I still get a discolored very difficult to read screen. As soon as I uncheck the box and apply it, the screen goes back to normal. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I do have the 150% setting selected with a resolution of 1680 x 1050. The adapter is a nVidia GeForce 210. The monitor setting is using a generic PnP monitor type with high color (16 bit). I don't know how much difference the mirror driver would make. I get a red screen every so often that may be some kind of refresh. In any case, it gets the job done pretty well for my usage. Thanks for making this available and continuing to work on it. --Chris Holly
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

There is a know issue with the video driver and 16bit.
On some systems RGB and BGR colors differ, it has to be somewere in the code, but
still not found the exact spot. It used to work in older versions.
zipp

Post by zipp »

Hi,
I like to disconect other conection when new connection incoming.
I check Multiviewer connection - Disconnect all existing connection
[img]http://imgbox.com/1z217t6C[/img]

but it's not work. In moment of new connection existing connection stay connect.
I restart computer server after change but it's still don't work.

I'm new to uVNC and don't know if it worked in past version..
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

What's the viewer option.
[v] Share server -> [_] Share server

The effect is a combination of server and viewer options.
Step

Post by Step »

Hi !

Is the service mode the only way to be able to interact with elevated windows (UAC) ?

If I start winvnc in admin mode, I can see the UAC windows, but can't click on them.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

"runas admin" to start winvnc.

UAC only allow input from other windows with the same or higher elevation level.
plants

Post by plants »

Hi Rudi,
Do you have any insights into the abrupt viewer crashes mentioned in my previous post?
Is there any reason for two simultaneous reverse connections (from same or different IPs) to interfere with each other? It's never been a problem before...
T
King-Tut

Post by King-Tut »

Am compiling the code with VS2013 and getting warnings on GetVersionExW and swprintf - these seem to be Win8 warnings and are not stopping the compile from going through.

I am working on getting the try Icon / add new client / connection window to remember prior entries. Should I be concerned about the warnings or not?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

King-Tut:
Ignore warnings, possible they reffer to future function removal or other.
plants:
The time for the initial drawing isn't longer. Before you just could not see the initial drawing
( used to measure bandwidth), now it show on the screen so at least you know the connection
is in progress. The blank always existed, but wasn't visable. Could not find the reason, it doesn't
always happen, but it could be caused with a auto encoder switch.

Does the viewer stop on connection of the second viewer ?
Some time after both are connected ?

Never tested 2 outgoing connections simultanious, always tested with multiple incoming connection.
But it should not make a difference.
King-Tut

Post by King-Tut »

I have made my changes to the server tray icon and am happy with it. I used VS2013 so it does not run on XP boxes.

Q1) Have others gotten VS2010 Express to work? It seems to not have ATL of MFC support which the full version has. Are those code directories available anywhere? Gave up and found a full VS2010 - it worked - so I am past this issue.

Q2) I am working on getting the server "Add New Client" window to remember prior reverse connections. I studied the viewer code which does the same thing and uses MRU.cpp I can use that code with just a small option to have two different key for each use and that is the easiest implementation. However, it seems that the project is moving away from using the register keys and toward .ini or .txt files to store "stuff". The second benefit of using an ini for storing the connection data is that it could easily be pre-loaded by users and maybe an option to not allow adding to the list. So I am looking for a steer to either use the registry keys or basically make a replacement for MRU.cpp that uses an ini to work with. Advice please.

Q3) Can you steer me to how to replace the standard winvnc.exe in the installation files with a custom one. Just post references to other posts if it has been covered already.

Q4) I believe the logic has a problem in the vncListDlg.cpp or I just do not understand it. When "AllowEditClients is 1 (true) the "Kill Client Button" should be active and when it is 0 (no) the button should be gray. It seems to be what ever the "else" is set to controls no matter the setting of "GetAllowEditClients". Further testing shows that the test always gives the same answer independent of the setting in the ini.

if (!_this->m_pServer->GetAllowEditClients())
{
EnableWindow(GetDlgItem(hwnd, IDC_KILL_B), false);
}
else EnableWindow(GetDlgItem(hwnd, IDC_KILL_B), true);

Thanks - a nice product that will provide a good solution for us - I am hoping to make some contribution back as appreciation.

Jim
plants

Post by plants »

Rudi De Vos wrote:plants: The time for the initial drawing isn't longer. Before you just could not see the initial drawing
( used to measure bandwidth), now it show on the screen so at least you know the connection
is in progress. The blank always existed, but wasn't visable. Could not find the reason, it doesn't
always happen, but it could be caused with a auto encoder switch.

Does the viewer stop on connection of the second viewer ?
Some time after both are connected ?

Never tested 2 outgoing connections simultanious, always tested with multiple incoming connection.
But it should not make a difference.
I feel certain that these effects are caused by poor packet transfer, but my observation is just like I see it; on a poor bandwidth connection (e.g.: mobile) the screen appears to load 3 times!

Yes, the viewer dies often immediately as the new connection arrives, but also dies within a few seconds of a connection - never more than 5 secs
This never used to be the case! I've had 4-5 reverse connections previously with complete stability (probably v1.0.9.6, it's a very rough guess)
Is it possible that the viewer listening parameters are significant, or the defaults have changed with conflicting results? Would it be better to set the viewer to listen with all the possible parameters specified (rather than just port, ip and encoding pref)?

BTW: I've had to abandon using encryption on reverse connections, it seems impossible to satisfy its connection needs. Encryption used to be on by default (SecureVNCPlugin/64.dsm)

Once again, thanks for your time
sbostedor

Post by sbostedor »

Fresh new install of Windows 7 (with all updates) HyperV VM. I push UltraVNC to the remote computer using VNCScan and then connect and this is how the screen looks. I have also pushed the mirror driver. Is there a display setting that I need to set to make it look normal again?

I am testing 1.1.9.6

[ultravnc]
passwd=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[admin]
PortNumber=5900
AutoPortSelect=0
IdleTimeout=3600
HTTPPortNumber=5800
RemoveWallpaper=0
DisableInterfaceEffects=0
RemoveBackground=0
UseHooks=1
PollScreen=0
FilterEvents=1
AcceptClipboard=0
AcceptKeyboard=0
inputs_chkAcceptPointerEvents=0
AffectScreenSaver=0
DisableLocalInputs=0
SendClipboard=1
NeverShared=0
AlwaysShared=0
DisableTrayIcon=0
MSLogonRequired=1
NewMSLogon=1
AllowShutdown=0
AllowProperties=0
QuerySetting=2
ConnectPriority=0
UseDSMPlugin=0
primary=1
secondary=1
RemoveAero=0
CaptureAlphaBlending=1
[poll]
EnableHook=1
UseHooks=1
FileTransfersEnabled=1
FTUserImpersonation=1
Steve Bostedor
http://www.vncscan.com
Super Simple UltraVNC Management
kirinsha

Post by kirinsha »

mdrollins83 wrote:I have an issue with 1.1.9.6 not allowing me to use the Start Menu command or clicking the Start button during a remote session with the host computer. Anyone else experiencing this issue? I'm new to UVNC, so I'm not sure if maybe it is just something I'm missing in my configuration. The host machine is running Windows XP. I have another host machine that I have UVNC installed on and it seems to work okay on it, so I'm not sure what the issue really is. Any suggestions?
My XP machine is same situation using Ver1.1.9.6.
While using Ver1.1.9.0, this situation does not occur.
MNCICT

Post by MNCICT »

Hi Everyone,

We recently made the move to UltraVNC from RealVNC due to its authentication methods.

Following on from this thread https://forum.ultravnc.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30551 we are still having these problems with UltraVNC x64 1.1.9.6 with IE8 8.0.7601.17514 under both Windows XP x32 SP3 & WIndows 7 x64 SP1.

The symptoms are as described in the previously mentioned thread. Our build is relatively standard aside from some group policy changes & they only have critical updates deployed to them.

I'm unsure as to what other diagnostic information would be useful in getting to the bottom of this problem, but if anyone else has experienced these issues &/or can assist in rectifying them I would greatly appreciate your time.

Thankyou peoples :-)
Danial Shin

Post by Danial Shin »

Hello!

I got a question which is not version specific.
I'v installed 1.1.9.6 at server site and there 2 monitors are installed.
I need to controll both screen but can't see second monitor.
Is is a limitation of UVNC itself, or is there any way to do which I didn't know?
Thanks for your advice in advance~!
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

One of the viewer buttons act also as screen switcher ( screen1 or screen2 or screen1+2)
Hover over the buttons to find the correct one, the button info tells it.
nick89

Post by nick89 »

Dear Sirs,
I'm trying to use UltraVnc 1.1.9.6 to capture a desktop, but i was facing a problem on this.
When I tried to capture the source from a laptop by using UltraVNC Viewer to view by another laptop, it’s working fine. However, that has some issue happened to me:
1. When I tried to capture the same laptop source by using same UltraVnc Viewer to view by a PC (desktop), It couldn’t scale up the window size.
2. When I tried to smaller the window size, it will come out with the scroll bar, but not compress the capture source to fix into the display area.
3. Also, when I tried to make it full screen, some of the screen area will becomes black bar, it’s not a real full screen display.
This is the PC spec that I used:
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 @3400-3700GHz
Graphic card: Datapath ImageDP4 graphics card
VNC Version: UltraVnc 1.1.9.6
DirectX version: DirectX 11
*the situation remains the same even i tried with on-board VGA output. (without installing graphic card)
1. When scale down the window, it not compressed the source into the display, but has to using the scroll bar goes to un-show area.
2. Full screen with black bar within the display area.
3. UltraVnc Viewer Setting1
4. UltraVnc Viewer Setting2

How can i overcome all the issues above.
Thank you.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

was viewer option
[v] use directx ON
nick89

Post by nick89 »

Rudi De Vos wrote:was viewer option
[v] use directx ON

Helo, thank you reply.

Yes, the directX option was tick.
Sorry for the tiny image size.

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

If directx is working you don't have scrollbars and the viewer is sized ( he always show fullscreen scalled down/up) to the window.
When you see scrollbars, directx is not working.

Without directx the aspect ratio is fixed, if server and viewer have a different aspect you get black bands.
I have no idea why directx doesn't work...sorry