Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

File Transfer won't access certain folders in Vista

retro

File Transfer won't access certain folders in Vista

Post by retro »

I have used UltraVNC for a while now. I usually prefer to run stable versions of software, so have been using 1.0.2. This has been no problem on XP. I have always been able to configure the network successfully and run file transfer successfully.

However, I installed 1.0.2 on a Vista machine, and had problems. Everything was done as normal (install with default options bar ticking register as system service and start or restart service, then start the service silent, run the server, configure password etc.).

This worked fine, and my usual (XP) machine connected with no problems. File Transfer opened as per usual. However, when I tried to access certain folders (e.g. My Documents) I got the following message:

Error: media is not present in the remote drive

I am assuming this is something to do with permissions, so perhaps a UAC problem? I have never had this with an XP PC, even when My Documents was a private folder.

How can I get around this problem? Would using 1.0.4 RC solve it? Do I need to set permissions?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A step-by-step how to would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for any help offered!
X3

Re: File Transfer won't access certain folders in Vista

Post by X3 »

1.0.2 has no Vista support as I understand it

Upgrade to RC15

http://sc.uvnc.com/UltraVNC_1.0.4_Setup.exe

and then

http://www.advantig.com/files/vncviewer-rc15ac.zip

http://www.advantig.com/files/uvnc-rc15a.zip

Update your files with these

Its pretty stable
Last edited by X3 on 2008-04-24 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

retro

Post by retro »

Thanks for that.

How do I update? Copy the files into the UltraVNC directory?

And why is there a batch file that connects to someone else's system?
winvnc.exe -connect etc::5501
The domain redirects to no-ip. I don't think I want to be running this script!

I'll go look for the official info on RC15, and preferably a non-external download link, but thanks for the information.
Last edited by retro on 2008-04-25 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
pgmoney

Post by pgmoney »

retro wrote:And why is there a batch file that connects to someone else's system?

The domain redirects to no-ip. I don't think I want to be running this script!
Advantig.com does not redirect to no-ip, it's a fully qualified domain and web server. There is an example redirect but it would be hard to make an example of how to use no-ip if you didn't put an actual example of a no-ip address in what you were trying to teach someone.

Try doing a who-is on the domain before posting false information and making yourself look silly.

Please remove the part of your post that gives spammers a link to try to exploit.
Last edited by pgmoney on 2008-04-25 01:46, edited 3 times in total.
retro

Post by retro »

The domain in question isn't advantig.com, it is myvnc.com. The advantig part is a subdomain of myvnc.com. At no point did I ever mention advantig.com or question its authenticity.

And, if I were to do a whois as you suggest, I get:
Domain Name:MYVNC.COM
Created On:01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:12-Mar-2008 22:37:20 UTC
Expiration Date:01-Jun-2009 07:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Vitalwerks Internet Solutions, LLC / No-IP.com
Registrant Name:No-IP.com, Domain Operations
Try reading people's posts more clearly before answering incorrectly and making yourself look silly.

As for my quote, it is merely quoting the part of the script, which is freely downloadable from this very thread, that I was questioning. As my question hasn't been answered, I shall wait until someone can tell me why this script wants to connect to a computer that is not mine before actually using it, or removing the quote in question. It is not my fault if this forum does not include sufficient protection from spiders and the like.
pgmoney

Post by pgmoney »

retro wrote:As for my quote, it is merely quoting the part of the script, which is freely downloadable from this very thread, that I was questioning. As my question hasn't been answered, I shall wait until someone can tell me why this script wants to connect to a computer that is not mine before actually using it, or removing the quote in question. It is not my fault if this forum does not include sufficient protection from spiders and the like.
If you are using Windows XP choose extract form the menu. (press F1 for help unzippig files)

The batch file is an example for someone that wanted to setup their email program (outlook 2000) to make ultravnc connect to their office while they are at work if their winvnc.exe crashed or stopped listening for incoming connections. You do not have to use it if you don't want to, simply hit the delete key or right click on the name of the batch file and select delete.

The batch file is not for you personally, nobody is suggesting you run it, it is an example for someone and nothing else, the myvnc.com address isn't even active, try connecting to it.

Using the extracted winvnc.exe and vncviewer.exe from the zip files is not dependant on the example batch file nor the *cpp (source code files) that are also in the zip. The *.cpp files are used with a compiler to make the exe files.

If you are so distrustful of my programming, you don't have to use any of the files... just delete the entire zip.

I've been working too many hours trying to update the SingleClick program to 104 vista code base and port it to Mac OSX, little things are starting to set me off too easy. No more replies from me but please remove the example address because I do sometines activate it when helping others and I don't want to deal with port probes.
Last edited by pgmoney on 2008-04-25 02:37, edited 3 times in total.
retro

Post by retro »

Thanks for the clarification. No, I'm not distrustful of you or your code per se, but when a third person posts it with no explanation of how to use it, or what the enclosed batch file is for that is trying to connect to an unknown server, it seems somewhat suspicious.

It is quite hard to know who's who around here, as there doesn't seem to be any use of the ranking system to identify those who actually work on UVNC, or are more trusted forum members, which is a shame.
X3

Post by X3 »

Blimey a guy helps out and what happens?

I have used and am using all files above and pgmoney (someone that has clearly contributed several patches to fix issues with uvnc)

Check this thread completly

[topic=12503][/topic]

Not only it has official information regarding RC15 but you will see what Im talking about.

I still fail to see any batch file on advantig links but I do see source code .cpp files for his fixes which I presume been added to uvnc source code. (and no files have not been edited since I still have my original downloaded files and they are as they seem)

.cpp files are not batch files they are uncompiled code that does not werk on a windows.

But if Im perfectly honest when I originally read the post and my immediate thougts were that retro had not searched or read the forums before posting otherwise you would have known what I posted on my first post, so for the only part here of mis-information and whatever. else I only have something to say.

USE THE SEARCH from now on...

K thx.
Regards

retro

Post by retro »

X3, to reply to what you said:

1. My error was with FILE TRANSFER only in VISTA. I therefore did a thorough search for

a) Error: media is not present in the remote drive

b) File transfer

c) Vista

Suggestions there included installing the service (done), copying the service starter into all users' startup (didn't help), etc. I did a pretty damn thorough search, so kindly don't suggest otherwise. There is, as far as I could ascertain, no thread that covered my specific problem. All Vista-related problems mentioned in threads were irrelevant to me - I could connect just fine, file transfer worked other than on those folders that are locked.

2. I don't like running betas, release candidates etc. so I went for version 1.0.2. There was nothing on the download page that said I should not use this version for Vista (saying that the VIDEO driver is only for XP etc. is NOT saying the app won't work). I am a strong believer in putting such information clearly on the main page, not having to come and ask in a forum and wait for a reply first.

3. I was aware of RC14, as there is a download on the downloads page, but not RC15. As I mentioned before, I had no interest in release candidates, so I had not perused the relevant forum for this product.

4. Your reply includes the following:
Please download this file again, you should find the contents include 2 exe files, 2 cpp files and vncvpn1.bat. I learnt how to write batch files in the 1980s, and this certainly looks like one to me!

You will also find the link near the bottom to which I referred.

5. It is a shame that this board does not use the ranking system to denote those who are involved with the making of UVNC, e.g. a PROGRAMMER rank or DESIGNER etc. I believe, from further reading of the forums, that you are indeed involved on a design level, so this would have been handy to know.

6. Look at it from my point of view. I came asking for help on a forum I am not familiar with. Someone I didn't know posted a reply saying I should update to a version I didn't know existed, by patching the RC with files from an external site. Fair enough, that site belongs to one of the team, but I was not to know this. In fact, you stated that you believe that 102 has no Vista support, when I already said I had it running fine on Vista... a statement I would not expect from a member of the development team, although in hindsight I accept that you aren't in the team on a technical capacity, so it is a reasonable statement. When I looked at said files, they included a batch file that wanted to connect to someone else's machine. I looked at the domain and it redirected me to no-ip.

So, how would you feel given the circumstances?

Looking back, I believe you are one of the development team, which is enough for me to trust you, and I am sorry if you took offence from my cautiousness. I appreciate your help.

5. Apologies for any mistakes I may have made in this post. It is late, and I am tired! :P

Back on topic....

The Vista machine is my friend's machine, 4000 miles away. She is non-technically minded... it was a mission to get 1.0.2 on the machine! She has PC problems, can't afford to visit a local technician and as I am just that, she asked me to help. As such, I can't compile an installer as it wouldn't be for internal use, and there's no way she's going to be able to do all that. If this is the final RC, I guess I'll just wait until the full release.

Cheers for the help, guys.
X3

Post by X3 »

Hi

I had same error as you pgmoney fixed it for us why I recommended this.

see post #43

Error: media is not present in the remote drive

[topic=12503][/topic]

I understand you feel confused about who is who and what they do.

Oliver aka Assarbad is the site admin and Im sure if you have any suggestions that are indeed serving/helping the community to a better and clearer service Im sure he will implement it. He his busy like rest of us so be patient.
Sorry but I cannot find for the live of me the batch files you mention, never seen such a file in such posts from advantig going back to original files. I still have on my desktop and if such a file was there I never seen it. thats the gods honest truth. 0:-)

I dont use any of other files besides the executables. (I simple have no use for them but have indeed open them to see what they contents are like (Im a curious person)

I also really understand your reason for not wanting to use RC's that fine but the files you chose 1.0.2 stable did not support vista, Vista support was introduced I believe with 1.0.3 beta something or other I cant be exact hence why I had several good ressons to direct you to the current files.

I test these RC's and they are now approaching a very nearly finished product that no doubt will be released soon and as such do not contain any massive bugs that will send your system crashing down in a BSOD or anything of the kind. (at least in my experience)

I read you post and place myself in your shoes but in order to keep the peace and not alienate any members here regardless of capacity user/helper/team/developer/admin etc I try my utmost best to know more or less what the forum says in other topics even if they have content that seemingly does not interest me for whatever reason, reason I do that is if I have learned anything from visiting forums or participating in them is that people post sometimes off topic information that does help. (I just wish I could remember all of it).

Even though Im not perfect I try to answer posts only when I have something helpfull to say or when I want to help someone get a reply from someone else that knows (Usually Redge he knows this program from user point of view better than most people here)

I give you an interesting useless fact about me, I monitored the forums for a long before I finally joined and posted reason I do that is 2 fold, on one hand I can familiarize myself with who is who then I know whats going on (I think ;))

Now all of that lines and lines from both you and me I hope that we can all be friends now and you can feel more confident in our help and maybe we have all learned something from this.

And most importantly fixed something!

We all here to help! :D
Regards

retro

Post by retro »

Hi there,

Yeah, as I said, I understand slightly more who's who now. And yes, all help is greatly appreciated! Hmm, odd you don't see the batch file! heh.

OK, I got my friend to update to RC15. I am still having problems, as follows (remember XP SP2 viewing Vista Home Premium, believe 32bit without SP1):

Connected to machine, put in password. Instead of viewer screen coming up, UVNC crashed with no error message - just disappeared. On the server end, the screen apparently flashed 3 times. Reopened viewer, connected fine.

Vista machine is running AIM 6.5, has problems with it. Went to look at the settings. Clicked file menu - menu lit up but no drop-down boxes appeared. Apparently they did the other end! Likewise, if controlled from that end, I see no drop-downs.

Will still be connected, but then realise that I can't do anything, e.g. click Start menu. Viewer has hung - have to restart.

And, most annoyingly (I'm not so worried about the above, but maybe the writers will be).....

I STILL can't get file transfer to work on protected folders!!!

It works fine on folders that aren't, e.g. C:\Users\[user]\Desktop but not a protected folder, e.g. C:\Users\[user]\My Documents.

I have even tried turning UAC off, to no avail.

Any more suggestions?
X3

Post by X3 »

Well odd that what you experience! Turning UAC off for uVNC is not good, it affects how service runs and how certain key sendings like ctr+alt+del wont work unless UAC is ON. (who knows how it affects the server side of things in other ways)

Seems to me your running a badly unstable version there of Vista Premium if the machine is showing problems with AIM you should remove it, its hard to pinpoint issues on a unstable machine when it could be some other softwares fault.

e.g. (I have found that zftpserver running on localhost and setting uvnc for loopbackonly kills uvnc)

Other thing is maybe running uVNC in elevated mode (right click and choose run as Admin 3rd option down)

Vista removes the "my" prefix from folders (about time really) so if something is broken with that I dont notice it mind though I have had SP1 since release and previous to that as well it does fix a few issues.

Have you tried playing with the drop down on the file transfer (the side that displays error) look at where [ C: ] - Local Disk and navigate once to where you want to go via that (error should disapear as it did with me) then try accessig those folders again.

Also try using a slower connection setting e.g. Medium (128 - 256Kbits/s) -256 color (so things update faster viewer side)
Regards

YY

Post by YY »

Same problem happened on XP, and someone found the following work around:
(not sure if this can work in vista)
1. uvnc server must be run as service
2. At Admin Properties, both "File Transfer" & "User impersonation..." s/b checked.
3. Have a copy (or a link) of the winvnc.exe put into the Startup Folder of All User, and running as: winvnc.exe -service

Boot the pc, and connect again to see if this solves the problem
retro

Post by retro »

As mentioned in my first post, I always have the option to install as service and restart service ticked on install. I also double checked these settings.... both when I ran 102 and RC15.
redge

Post by redge »

if you need fix remote computer asap, try this solution
[topic=6750][/topic]

until a solution for File Transfer, this can take a short or long time before any fix available from developer staff or third external developer , all work are done under free time.

UltraSam, admin and developer and maker of FileTransfer and dsmplugin part who have the most problem of ultravnc part.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer