Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Workaround: Disable UAC requests temporary

karstenschilder

Workaround: Disable UAC requests temporary

Post by karstenschilder »

My intention was to disable secure desktop like it the RemoteAssistance of Microsoft it does, while the PCHelpware software is running.

I found no way to get this without reboot (if someone knows how to do, tell me please, I will make a new "workaround" with it). But I found a way to disable the requests completely during PcHelpware is running.

The solution are following RegKeys:

HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin
HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ConsentPromptBehaviorUser

My small programm (see beolow) reads the values of this keys and stores them. After that it sets them both to 0, what disables the requests. It starts the PcHelpware Server, waits for exiting and write back the original values, what restores the settings before starting PcHelpWare

I have tested it successfull with Windows Vista and Windows 7 Beta.

How to integrate:

First you need 7-Zip.

Second download http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IHLLG7Q8 and extract it (attention: The file in the archive is called "PcHelpWare.exe". Don't overwrite your server with it).

Open your PcHelpWare server (7-Zip self extracting archive) in 7-Zip and rename the PcHelpWare.exe contained in the archive into PcHelpWareRun.exe.

Drag and Drop the PcHelpWare.exe out of my archive into your server archive and confirm the question.

All done.

I've created this using Nullsoft installer system.

Souce:

Code: Select all

Name "UAC Request Disabler (Temporary) for PcHelpWare"
OutFile "PcHelpWare.exe"
RequestExecutionLevel admin

SilentInstall silent

Section
  ReadRegDWORD $0 HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System AdminBackup
  IfErrors +3 0
    ReadRegDWORD $1 HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System UserBackup
    Goto Repair

ReadRegDWORD $0 HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin
  ReadRegDWORD $1 HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ConsentPromptBehaviorUser

IfErrors NoUAC
    WriteRegDWORD HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System AdminBackup $0
    WriteRegDWORD HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System UserBackup $1

Repair:

WriteRegDWORD HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin 0
    WriteRegDWORD HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ConsentPromptBehaviorUser 0

ExecWait '"PcHelpWareRun.exe"'

WriteRegDWORD HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin $0
    WriteRegDWORD HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ConsentPromptBehaviorUser $1

DeleteRegValue HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System AdminBackup
    DeleteRegValue HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System UserBackup

Goto Ende

NoUAC:
  ExecWait '"PcHelpWareRun.exe"'

Ende:
SectionEnd
Last edited by karstenschilder on 2010-02-15 17:03, edited 2 times in total.
transambird_2000

Re: Workaround: Disable UAC requests temporary

Post by transambird_2000 »

Has anyone else gotten this to work? I tried, but haven't had much success. There are mutiple things named pchelpware.exe. Not sure which one i am supposed to rename and replace. Is it after i create my server or before. Is it in the create server folder or the create server/Server folder?
karstenschilder

transambird_2000 wrote:Has anyone else gotten this to work? I tried, but haven't had much success. There are mutiple things named pchelpware.exe. Not sure which one i am supposed to rename and replace. Is it after i create my server or before. Is it in the create server folder or the create server/Server folder?
You have to create the server self extracting archive (this one singe file you get by pressing the create button in viewer).

Then you have to open that file in 7zip.

Then you have to rename the PcHelpware.exe to PcHelpWareRun.exe, that is inside the self extracting archive.

After you renamed that file add the UAC Disabler (filename: PCHelpware.exe).
transambird_2000

Post by transambird_2000 »

Thanks, Works great :D Exactly what i was looking for.
karstenschilder

As Geocities is down, I uploaded the file to megaupload.com
lama rama

Post by lama rama »

Nice, Works a treat - thanks :-D
afatac

Post by afatac »

Many of our users who need remote support do not have administrative rights for their computers (Vista OS). Whenever they start running PHW server, they are blocked by the above window.

Can this solution overcome this problem?
afatac

Post by afatac »

Appreciate if someone can kindly answer my question above....
cybrguy

Post by cybrguy »

This is very helpful for me. I have been frustrated with prompts I couldn't see, requiring someone to be available on the other side.

Thank you. Too bad it won't work for a standard user, but that is understandable.
Waddz

Post by Waddz »

Hi karstenschilder,

Can you please re-link your download as Megaupload are having some technical difficulties at the moment :)
Oliver
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by Oliver »

If you send me the file I can also upload it on the forum server, for example.
Oliver

How to Report Bugs Effectively
My homepage | WinDirStat
PGP-keys:
  • Forum or UltraVNC-related: 0xA2DD1DBD, E18B 2E2F 4F3E D143 4ED4 3E2B E172 FB55 A2DD 1DBD
  • Other matters: 0x0E88590F, 38B5 5EBA A470 C0F7 0942 81B8 C779 D829 0E88 590F
bakerkr

Post by bakerkr »

Is the file mentioned in the original post still available? If so where? Thanks, Kevin
bakerkr

Post by bakerkr »

Ok.. i figured this out:

Using the supplied code on the original post, I downloaded and install the program (Nullsoft installer system) and created the attached file.

When I originally created my server I renamed it to connect2kevin.exe, so this is the file I opened using 7Zip (I think you can only modify the completed file).

Inside my file I renamed PchelpWare.exe to PcHelpWareRun.exe and then added (drag and dropped) the PcHelpWare.exe into the archive and saved it.

Worked great!!!

**** Ok I don't know how to add an attachment here... will try and get it to the Moderator.. sorry
SaliesBuzz

Post by SaliesBuzz »

:| Which version of Nullsoft did you use?

I have tried all versions from 2.46 back to 2.43 and they seem to create the PcHelpware.exe using BCJLZMA2:16 as the compression method. The resulting self extracting archive fails with "Unsupported Method" at 97% followed by "Unspecified error".
If I remove the Nullsoft PcHelpware.exe and go back to the original pchelpware.exe, the file extracts and runs OK.
I have followed the instructions above and pasted the script into Notepad and saved the Script which is then called in Nullsoft.
Any Ideas?
SaliesBuzz
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Since Megaupload has disappeared off the face of the internet, I'd like to request a re-upload of the tool.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I also made a tiny stub program after reading this thread.
Several lines of C# code:

Code: Select all

static void Main()
        {
            int consentPromptBehaviorAdmin = (int)Registry.GetValue(@"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin", 2);
            int consentPromptBehaviorUser = (int)Registry.GetValue(@"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorUser", 1);

Registry.SetValue(@"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin", 0, RegistryValueKind.DWord);
            Registry.SetValue(@"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorUser", 0, RegistryValueKind.DWord);

var startInfo = new ProcessStartInfo();
            startInfo.FileName = "pchelpware_run.exe";
            var process = Process.Start(startInfo);
            process.WaitForExit();

Registry.SetValue(@"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin", consentPromptBehaviorAdmin, RegistryValueKind.DWord);
            Registry.SetValue(@"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorUser", consentPromptBehaviorUser, RegistryValueKind.DWord);
        }