Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SC HowTo for first time users

Single Click discussions / bugs
jftuga

SC HowTo for first time users

Post by jftuga »

updated March 31, 2007

Here is a quick howto for first time users. I am sure this has been posted before, but I hope this helps someone. The online docs were not 100% clear to me.

-John

Start at this page:
http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html
and download the custom.zip and unzip it.

You only need 4 files from this zip file:
logo.bmp, icon1.ico, icon2.ico, and helpdesk.txt
(session will not be encrypted)

I changed the default logo.bmp to our company logo. If you do this it needs to be max colors 256, size 196x181.

I changed the top of the helpdesk.txt file. We have 3 people that do tech support here:
[HOST]
George
-connect 10.0.x.y:5500 -noregistry

[HOST]
Paul
-connect 10.0.a.b:5500 -noregistry

[HOST]
John
-connect 10.0.i.j:5500 -noregistry

(I changed our IP addresses for privacy concerns). Anyway, change the IP addresses for your set of people.

Also change the TEXTCLOSEBUTTON section to something like 'Exit' or 'Quit'.

--

Now create a zip file called remote_support.zip with the same four files.
Next, go to this URL:
http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/creator/index.html

I used the 1st form.
Username: foo Password: foobar
In the upload field, insert the path to your remote_support.zip.

In about 5-10 seconds, there will be a file called remote_support.exe.
Download this file -- it will be the file that you distribute to your end-user clients.

Now run Run Ultr@VNC Viewer (Listen Mode) from the Start -> Programs -> Ult@VNC Viewer folder. Your computer is now listening on port 5500 for incoming connections.

Finally, email the user the remote_support.exe (or put it on your website for them to download) and have them run it.

Once they run it, have them double click on the appropriate name. It may take up to 20 - 30 seconds for their VNC'd screen to show up on your display. Now you can operate and remotely control their computer.

Also if both ends are firewalled, you will have to change the settings on one end to allow port 5500 through.
Last edited by jftuga on 2007-03-31 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
jazeboy

What if each computer doesn't have a static IP on internet?

Post by jazeboy »

I have a question I can't seem to work out.

You mention to add each support persons ip address in the helpdesk.txt.

When you are doing this over the internet but, what IP do you set? Our company network only has only has one ip address on the internet and then the rest of the computers have internal Ip addresses from which people want to do support from. We need to connect to otehr people with the same setup. is this possible?

Am I missing something here or am I on the wrong track?? Can I do easy connections to people from a single downloaded file?

We currently use gotoassist and gotomypc both citrix online solutions that do this easily but are expensive.

Thanks Heaps!
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

GotoMyPC use a 3the public server.

VNCViewer --> 3the server
VNCserver --> 3the server
3the server connect VNCserver with VNCviewer

You need to pay, but they also need to transfer the data thru there server.

With SC you can emulate this behaviour.
You need to use the repeater.

ViewerA--->(ID xxxxx)
ViewerB--->(ID yyyyy)----->Repeater------
ViewerC--->(ID zzzzz)

SC(ID:xxxxxx)--->Router(customer)------->Router(local) ----(forward port to PC running the repeater)----->repeater---(repeater connect to the viewer who is logged with ID xxxx)--->viewer

Your internet router need to forward the connect port to the router.
SC connect to ONE ip (official internet adress), and split the use by making use of ID's
jazeboy

DHCP?

Post by jazeboy »

Thanks for that! That helps clear it up a bit. But... 2 more questions if you can help...

1. Is it possible to do this on a network with DHCP?
By the looks of it I need to do port forwarding on the router as a repeater so If port forwarding is required I'm guessing it can't?

2. The helpdesk.txt file allows multiple host choices (for eg multiple support staff) to be added by adding their ip, but if you are using a repeater can you do this?

I guess what I'm getting at relating to both questions - Is there a way to just use machine names?

Thanks again!
xbx14

DHCP? Of Course!

Post by xbx14 »

All you will need is a client that gives your PC a name (look up "NoIP.com" or "DynDNS.com").
Once you have given your PC a name like "abcd.homeip.net", put that address into your helpdesk.txt. Remember that if running through a router, you will need to forward a port to your machine of choice.
:)
UltraVNC Server 1.0.4 RC8 (Dec 2007)
jftuga

Post by jftuga »

jazeboy,

When I posted this, I was thinking that the user would be connected through a VPN tunnel. SC also works well just within the office. We put a link to the sc executable on our intranet home page.

-John
jazeboy

Have to have a VPN tunnel?

Post by jazeboy »

I'm getting confused now, do I have to have a VPN tunnel? I was under the impression you can just connect 2 computers together over the internet without any VPN??
redge

Post by redge »

jazeboy

1. not possible with SC and repeater mode II, only ID number allowed with SC
if you host your repeater without DMZ, you need forward port 5901 and 5500 for your repeater on your router only at side of repeater (the place you hosting your repeater)
[topic=3859][/topic]
  • LAN (local, intranet), VPN (extranet like is an internal network but use public Internet)
    LAN -- LAN (without routing to Internet)
    office --- VPN client --- Internet --- VPN server -- main office
    home --- VPN client --- Internet --- VPN server -- main office
    you need to know only their hostname or private IP_address
  • for Internet usage (external network of your home, office)
    home -- Internet -- your friends, family, Small Office)
    you need to know FQDN or public IP_address
2. No, only ID number allowed for SC with repeater mode II usage
but the fully Qualifed Domain Name address can be used only for join repeater
or
better, use only 1 host aka repeater [HOST], with [DIRECT] and use [ENTER CODE] for ID request from client and server

SingleClick for use by customer/friend preconfigured using your own repeater mode II
helpdesk.txt
-----------------------
[HOST]
Internet support
-id 1234 -connect hostname_of_repeater::5500 -noregistry
example:
-id 1234 -connect sc.uvnc.com::5500 -noregistry <-- FQDN
-id 1234 -connect sc::5500 -noregistry <-- is not FQDN (valid only for internal usage, not by Internet)

[ENTER CODE]
enter your ID <-- text shown to customer !!!

[DIRECT]
-----------------------
Last edited by redge on 2005-09-08 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
danzman

Testing SC

Post by danzman »

So, I followed the instruction to the letter. I created the SC file, I installed the viewer. I port-forwarded the router. Now I need to test it.

The question, any reason why I could not test within a LAN? Here is what I did: I fired up the VIEWER (HOST/CONTROLLER). Then I went to the PC(Client) and fired up the remote_support app, double-clicked the connection. I ran back to the HOST PC and watched any activity. Nothing happened.

What to do?

Note: I used No-ip.com service. No problem here as I used it with Net2FTP ftp server and other web services.

Thanks,
Danzman
jftuga

Post by jftuga »

danzman,

When creating your executable, did you use an internal ip, like 192.168.x.y or did you use your real internet IP address? If you used your real address, you might not be able to test within your LAN.

I would suggest creating two single-click executables - one with your internal IP and one with your external IP. This way, you can test with one and distribute the other to your friends, family, etc.

-John
danzman

configured

Post by danzman »

In the script I actually wrote the following:

[HOST]
Internet Connection
-connect myIPaddress:5500 -noregistry

[HOST]
LAN Connection
-connect myLocalIP:5500 -noregistry

...etc

I would have two ways to connect to the viewer. Question: when I fire up the viewer do I have to do anything with it or just sit back and wait for the connection?
:roll:
danzman

Command Line

Post by danzman »

The settings in the SC, I found, are correct. The problem was in the Viewer. I have to modify the command line property by doing the following:

I right-clicked the program icon->selected properties. In the command line, a did something like this:

"C:program files/ultravnc/ulvncviewer.exe" -listen 5500

note: I added the "-listen 5500" to make it listen to that port. Of course other things have been set up as setting the ports, router, firewall, etc. see the previous postings here.

[/u]
jftuga

Re: SC HowTo for first time users

Post by jftuga »

I have updated the 2 URLs in Post #1. However, a better solution may be PCHelpWare - http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/

-John
Gina23

Re: SC HowTo for first time users

Post by Gina23 »

This link doesnt work anymore.