Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Newbie needs Setup & Connection help

Hapkido

Newbie needs Setup & Connection help

Post by Hapkido »

I'm totally exasperated trying to get UltraVNC to work and need help.

Here's what I have:

LAN: 2 XP machines connected through a hardwired Linksys router.

Installed the "Viewer" on my machine.
- Firewall disabled

Installed the "Server" on my wife's machine as a service.
- Disabled Windows XP Firewall
- Shutdown Windows Defender
- Typed in a simple Password in the "Admin Properties"
- Tried both simple logon and Microsoft Logon

Connection:
- I type in my wife's machine's local IP (192.168.1.100)
- Click "Connect"
- Type in Username (not sure what that should be??)
- Type in Password (same as the one in the Admin Properties)

Problem:
- "Authentication Failed" (wrong password)
- OR I get "Your Connection has been Rejected"

Can someone help me get things configured correctly and/or explain what I'm doing wrong?

THANKS!!

Problem:
-
Last edited by Hapkido on 2006-04-06 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

Which version of XP home or Professional??

If Home try only classical authenication

disable Mslogon till you get classical authenication working..

:idea:
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
Hapkido

Post by Hapkido »

bevtech wrote:Which version of XP home or Professional??

If Home try only classical authentication

disable Mslogon till you get classical authentication working..
Thanks for the help. I'm using XP Home on both machines.

I did finally get things to work by doing the following:

1. Set the authentication to "classic" (unchecked MS Logon)
2. Re-entered the password
3. Stopped the VNC service and restarted it again.

Things worked great after that.

What worries me is that I am thinking of using UltraVNC to connect to an office where I maintain 16+ machines (all XP, some Home, some Pro) and if I had this kind of trouble connecting to a simple 2 machine home LAN, what kind of issues am I going to face if I try and setup UltraVNC on a remote network? hehe

Hopefully, I will be able to rely upon the expertise found here. :D

Oh, one other related question.... re: "tabbed_vncviewer_129.exe" addon. How is that enabled? I have copied the file, renamed to "tabbedvncviewer129.exe" to the UltranVNC installation folder and don't know what to do to run it.

THANKS
Merel

Someone understands you (at last)

Post by Merel »

Hello Hapkido,

I have about exact the same hardware configuration as you, I have a wife also, and I'm retired as well ... and I'm also trying to make this damn thing work ! I can understand your frustations !

I have already been spending hours on the same problem.
At least you get some answers, which probably will help a bit.

(See my topic [topic=6429][/topic])
INHOUSE NETWORK APPLICATION
It might be that following issue was already explained in another topic, in which case, I apologize.
What are the minimum and essential settings for following situation ?
The goal is to make remote desktop available on a home PC running Win-XP Home.
I want to be able to work "remote" on this PC, from my other PC running Win-XP Pro.
Actually both are inhouse home-PC's, cabled to a router.
Bill is not even able to make remote desktop available if both PC's are not running XP Pro in a Ultra-simple "Microsoft Windows Network".
I hope that UltraVNC will do the job without too much technical configuration settings.
At the Home page of this website however one can read :
What is it? UltraVNC is an easy to use, fast and free sotware that can display the screen of another computer
Easy to use ???? Hm...!? :( Replacing one XP-Home by XP-Professional could be a lot easier.
Merel

Re: Newbie needs Setup & Connection help

Post by Merel »

Hapkido wrote:I'm totally exasperated trying to get UltraVNC to work and need help.

Connection:
- I type in my wife's machine's local IP (192.168.1.100)
- Click "Connect"
- Type in Username (not sure what that should be??)
- Type in Password (same as the one in the Admin Properties)
I WAS PUZZLED ALSO ON EXACT THE SAME WINDOW "USERNAME"
IS IT "ADMIN" ? OR THE WINDOWS USER and on which machine ?

So, I see that I'm not alone. Better explanations are needed, like I already wrote in this forum.
Hapkido

Post by Hapkido »

Merel,

Fortunately, not long after I posted here the problem was resolved. I think the answer came from another source. Simply put, the fix was to NOT use the network logon but the "simple" logon and it worked. The lack of good information for UltraVNC is unfortunately not unique. For whatever reason, many applications today are woefully lacking in this area which puts newbies at a serious disadvantage. However, I must say that the product works great once its up and running. Kudos to the developers for an excellent product.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

We are looking for help with documentation.. Can I count anyone in?? Everyone likes to complain about the documentation but so few wish to help.
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
redge

Post by redge »

Merel wrote:I WAS PUZZLED ALSO ON EXACT THE SAME WINDOW "USERNAME"
IS IT "ADMIN" ? OR THE WINDOWS USER and on which machine ?
Always as same of remote desktop client connect to remote desktop server
same as you do it from your XP home to your XP professional at office.
Last edited by redge on 2006-05-29 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
Merel

Post by Merel »

bevtech wrote:We are looking for help with documentation.. Can I count anyone in?? Everyone likes to complain about the documentation but so few wish to help.
I understand your concern. But not "everyone" is complaining , but only individuals having less or no experience in communication technology. (Besides, nobody "likes" to complain)

Please understand that it is not very logical to hope for helping individuals among the complaining people !

Beware also that very high technical skilled individuals often are not able to "explain" their knowledge , because they are not able to come down to the level of their audience or readers. Besides, the whole VNC-thing here is in coded syntax.

What would you or anyone else have understood reading the simple formula E=mc² , at the time Einstein wrote this ? I did the best I can writing a topic to "get started"; sorry, that's all I can do.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

Well you are correct. The admins created a topic specifically for newbies so that they can post any question they have that way we can make the documentation easier for everyone to understand as well as get their questions answered hopefully more quickly..:)
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
klw

Post by klw »

People without the necessary expertise are the ones most likely to " complain " and rightly so it is far to confusing unless you have previous experience in these matters or advanced computer / comms knowledge which most people don't and they are also the least likely to help for obvious reasons.

However it seems you have a good product here ( when I can finally get it working ) and it's free so all kudos to you.

Can I suggest a flowchart system idiot guide style rather than all these links after links containing highly technical information.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

if you think it will help users not a problem here
Bevtech

UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
MouthpiecePC

Post by MouthpiecePC »

And thats it, here we are 6 months later. I hope there is a new Super Mod with some common sense and compasion for his field.

Here is a no-brainer folks. Take heed: You have some wonderful software that you have worked very hard to create, update, etc, not to mention the money you have spent on it. Let me ask you a Billion dollar question, "Why dont you have a step by step simpleton guide on you website with screen shots explaining how your software works. It never ceases to amaze me how tiny the brain can be when it is filled with data.

How to connect to another computor for troubleshooting, etc:

Example 1: XP Home to XP home
Example 2: XP Home to XP Pro if this is different
Example 3: XP Pro to XP Home if this is different
Example 4: XP Home to 98, ME, 2000, etc.
Example 5: XP Home using a router to XP Home using a router.

How to configure your router using our software
Linksys, or other routers listed.

This is only a a rough example. Give the user details. You cannot expect the average user to have a degree in networking. After reading this thread that has been made a sticky is a complete dis-service and representation of your product. I hope the right individuals whom are responsible for your forum utilize this post in a positive way for the user and your best interest.

I noticed the last post in this thread was in August 2005. If that doesnt give somebody a clue then by all means, maybe there isnt any help for you.
Last edited by MouthpiecePC on 2008-02-22 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
alamiku

Post by alamiku »

I`m interested in Win 7 x64 to winXP pro x86. On my home pc to install the viewer and that is Win 7 x64 and on some PC from school the Server on x86 systems. How it will work ? I have to download both versions of UltraVNC and i mean x86 and x64 and I install the Viewer x64 in my pc and I`ll install the x86 Server in the hosts ??
marcus25

Post by marcus25 »

I'm too bamboozled, downloaded this because RDC won't work on my win10 home laptop. Could work Teamviewer first up but for long term use it's too expensive at over $40 a month, but I have no idea how to make this work.

I suppose I will wade through the threads to try and learn, but really, anything as described "easy to use" should at least resemble the description.
What's the use of a free software or any software that needs a uni degree to use?
So far very disappointed. free or not.
DariBunny

Post by DariBunny »

klw wrote:People without the necessary expertise are the ones most likely to " complain " and rightly so it is far to confusing unless you have previous experience in these matters or advanced computer / comms knowledge which most people don't and they are also the least likely to help for obvious reasons.

However it seems you have a good product here ( when I can finally get it working ) and it's free so all kudos to you.

Can I suggest a flowchart system idiot guide style rather than all these links after links containing highly technical information.
I think this is a great idea. This is a great product but the lack of documentation keeps it from becoming better. There's nothing wrong with a simple manual that tackles the basics. Links are great but keep keep it minimal. This thread is really helpful though. Hope more people would be able to contribute.